EDIT 1 - We've reached our initial goal!
Thank you all so much! We're so excited to get Season 2 off to you.
Now it's time for some stretch goals. Keep spreading the word so we can make Season 2 even better and get you more exclusive swag!
We have until the end of the project to continue raising funds. Let's not stop here! More details on these stretch goals and others below.
Edit 2 - Season 2 Title and Poster:
Into the Nanten - Fall of the Arbor King
Now, back to your original programming:
Into the Nanten is the journal of Marceles na Tetrarch, a warrior currently exiled to the Nanten – a jungle so hostile that to enter it willingly is considered suicide. It is updated in real time (EST) – when he finishes an entry or illustration it appears here in our world, on intothenanten.com. He writes almost every night.
Into the Nanten has been up and running since September 9th, 2014, with an average of one post going live each day since then. If you haven't read it yet, you can start from the beginning here.
Into the Nanten Is Still Unfolding, Live, Right Now
Season one has wrapped, yet there are a lot of questions left hanging. Is there a Daedric society in the heart of the Nanten? Will Inifra return Marceles' affection? And to whom is Marceles even writing this journal?
Is Salisir alive? It's been 20 years! What happened to him in the jungles of the Nanten in all that time?
The adventure has only just begun, and now you have a chance to keep it going!
Into the Nanten requires a lot of time and a lot of work to produce. Your support will go directly into the artwork that brings the Nanten to life. In reaching our goal of $6,500 we will be able to illustrate roughly one of every three journal entries in Season 2 (set to launch this fall).
If we exceed that goal, we'll be able to illustrate even more entries for Season 2! And then come the stretch goals.
But first let's talk about what you get for pitching in!
In exchange for your help, we have some awesome rewards to share with you. Just add $25 to any reward level for each additional print you want.
Here Come the Perks!
More Details on the Rewards:
Marceles often writes to someone in his journal, someone we know very little about. We know their father is influential, wealthy, and was once close to Marceles. We also know that killing Lystra, the crime for which he was exiled, caused severe strain between them.
What you don't know is that Marceles wrote a letter to this mysterious friend before leaving the Old Empire for the Nanten - every backer above $10 will receive a hard copy of this letter.
Want to read Into the Nanten on your phone or tablet offline? For an additional $7, you'll receive a pre-release PDF of Into the Nanten (Season One) before it's put on sale for the rest of the world.
We will be signing and shipping prints from Season One (there's a 3 for 2 early-bird special). And if we can reach our stretch goals, we'll throw in an add-on reward to print a physical copy with illustrations and all!
Not into prints? How about a Kickstarter exclusive T-Shirt that no one will ever get again EVER? $40 will get you a shirt, a PDF, and a hard copy of Marceles' letter. This shirt will never be available again, so get yours now! (Want a print as well? Just add $25 to your pledge - a total of $65)
Not into T-shirts? How about an authentic, leather bound journal - a complete reproduction of Marceles' journal available to a very limited number of backers.
If we reach some of our stretch goals there will also be character portrait cards (3x2.5" - think the size of a business card), Season 2 posters, and more!
There will be a Google+ Hangout with Jay and Nimit to which every backer will be invited to watch live. The three highest levels of backers will be invited to join the Hangout and participate!
If you've ever wondered what you would look like in the jungle, our two highest backer levels will have their likeness included in Marceles' second journal.
The very highest of these will have their perks hand-delivered over lunch by Jay, anywhere in the US, Canada, or Europe (really anywhere Americans can travel without a lot of paperwork).
We are going to have a lot of fun with this, and we want you to have fun too!
Our goal is to have most of the rewards shipped out within a couple of months of Kickstarter releasing the funds to us. It's worth noting here that you'll have to wait for Season 2 to go live before you can see yourself illustrated in the journal.
Sweet! That's a good problem to have. The initial funds we're raising are going to support the basic level of artwork necessary to continue the rhythm we've already established (roughly 1/3). More money means more artwork.
After Kickstarter takes their cut and we've paid for the perks:
- $6,500 will get roughly one of every three entries illustrated
- $9,000 will get roughly one of every two entries illustrated
More Stretch Goals:
- $12,500 - Add-on Reward - Add $50 to your current pledge and receive a physical book of season one (more info below)
- $15,000 - Character portrait cards (3.5x2") for every backer! Plus everyone $10 and over gets a pre-release ebook copy of Into the Nanten (PDF)
- $20,000 - ITN Season 2 Posters for every backer!
- $30,000 - Into the Nanten PODCAST
- $40,000 - "Salisir is Dead/Salisir Yet Lives" T-Shirts for EVERY BACKER!
- $50,000 - Yeah right. But if we get this far we're going to hit up some major conventions this year so that we can get a chance to thank as many of you as we can in person!
- $XX,XXX - Mystery Stretch Goal 1 - Unlocked at $40k
- $XX,XXX - Mystery Stretch Goal 2 - Unlocked at $50k
Did I mention there are stickers of these opposing quotes? Even if the T-shirts don't happen, there's a good chance you'll get a sticker or two.
Let's say things really do go that crazy and we exceed our goals. Jay will use extra money (that isn't spent making you extra swag) and put it towards things like proofreading ITN before print and other related expenses. Examples include the cover art and production of a physical edition of the full-length novel telling Brin Salisir's story: "The Butcher of Rinoa."
We could also be talked into making a trailer for season two like this as soon as possible:
Choose Your Print!
Instructions on how to find and identify the print you want.
Dimensions: 6.25" x 8.25"
Giclée prints - come signed and printed on Hahnemuhle 100% cotton fine art rag paper (308gsm)
Use the chart below to see what's up for grabs in our print selection. Want to see the full-sized version? Easy! Just add the number to the following url (in place of "xx"): http://intothenanten.com/entry-xx
Example: If you love Naline's portraits in Entry 42 but you can't tell which one you want, just go to http://intothenanten.com/entry-42 to see both illustrations from that entry.
Note: The prints are not cropped in to the illustration itself. In producing these we've found they look much nicer and maintain their original appeal better if a little white is left outside the scanned area. That way you still get the rounded edges and depth of the pages behind. Like this:
How to back Into the Nanten - Season 2
Backing Into the Nanten - Season 2 on Kickstarter is simple and secure, and open to everyone around the world.
- Log into your Kickstarter account, or create a new account.
- Click the green “Back This Project” button at the top of this page.
- Enter your pledge amount and select a reward level (this is the letter/print/shirt you want to receive).
- Submit your payment information and that’s it!
You should receive a confirmation email moments after you submit the form. Kickstarter accepts debit or credit cards associated with Visa, MasterCard, or American Express. All payments are in US dollars. Note: your card will only be charged after April 9th.
(Thanks to the Pebble team for the succinct explanation - and congrats on another wild success!)
Add $25 to any reward level for additional prints (as many as you'd like).
- $1 - EXILED - Thanks! Every dollar helps!
- $5 - FIRESNAKE - Credit on the Season 2 Kickstarter Credits page on the website (included in everything $5+).
- $10 - BANGARA - Receive a hard copy of Marceles' never-before seen letter to his mysterious friend.
- $17 - BROMNOM - Advance e-copy of ITN (PDF). Includes letter.
- $25 - SKETCHBOOK - Signed print of your choice. Includes PDF and letter.
- $35 - IMPERIAL (Digital Artist) - Finished Photoshop file of an illustration with all of Nimit's layers - inspect his process (will be at a lower resolution than original). Includes a print, the PDF, and letter.
- $40 - MENTALIST - Kickstarter exclusive T-shirt. Includes PDF and letter (add $25 to include a print of your choice).
- $50 - BANTISH (Early Bird) SPECIAL (Limit 50) - Three prints of your choice. Includes PDF and letter.
- $50 - MAKONGA - Two prints of your choice. Includes PDF and letter.
- $70 - KORAKORA - Three prints of your choice. Includes PDF and letter.
- $100 - CHIEF OF THE KORAKORA - Kickstarter exclusive T-shirt, three prints of your choice, PDF, and letter.
- $250 - HYRDRON (Limit 8) - Kickstarter exclusive: Wide-format character portrait print. Includes another print of your choice, PDF, and letter.
- $650 - COMPANION (Limit 5) - Recreation of Marceles' journal, hand-bound in leather. Includes an invitation to actively join Google+ Hangout with Nimit and Jay, a Season 2 poster, the PDF, and the letter.
- $1,000 - WALKER (Limit 3) - Your likeness adapted into an illustration in Season 2. Includes Google+ Hangout invite, Kickstarter Exclusive T-shirt, Season 2 poster, print of your choice, PDF, and letter.
- $5,000 - *SPOILER* (Limit 1) - Jay will hand deliver your perks (as available at the time). Your likeness illustrated in Season 2, invite to Google+ Hangout, Kickstarter Exclusive T-shirt, Season 2 poster, print of your choice, PDF, and letter. And lunch with Jay (assuming you're in a country where he can travel legally/without too much paperwork).
Now that you know what to expect from this year and the Kickstarter, it's time to look ahead a little.
You thought the Bangara and KoraKora were bad. Just wait until you meet our villains in the heart of the Nanten.
There's a reason Brin Salisir was sent to die in the Nanten. There's more to Marceles' exile than he ever thought possible. And there's certainly a darkness at the heart of the jungle with which they must contend.
Romance will blossom, new monsters will be uncovered, and more magic will be encountered. I've got season two and three mapped out. You're going to love them. I can tell you that I only get more excited the farther into them I get!
Help Us Out by Sharing Into the Nanten with Your Friends!
Do you know someone who would be as excited to follow Marceles' adventure as you are? Maybe they just love sweet prints? Share this project with them by clicking on the "Share this Project" button at the top! You can also share it with these links:
If you're just discovering Into the Nanten for the first time here, be sure to read the story from the beginning by going to Into the Nanten: the Journal.
You can also follow along on Jay Swanson's Facebook page. Read Marceles' thoughts day to day on Twitter @MTetrarch. Keep up on the illustrations on Instagram @mindofjayswanson or on Tumblr if you prefer.
In order to get everything signed, one of us will fly to join the other once everything is printed and ready to ship. We'll be sure to document and share the madness.
- Our printer for the prints: Nimit Malavia
- Our printer and binder for the book (add-on perk): Houchen Bindery
- Our leather binder for the custom journals: Old Leather Books
- Formats for early release copies: ePUB and .mobi
- Google+ Hangout date: TBD - Roughly a week after the Kickstarter is over
We all love books, but printing Into the Nanten Season One is going to be expensive. We need to send in an order of at least 100 copies, so we will only be offering this one as an add-on perk (you'll have to add $50 to your current perk level once it's unlocked to get one). The book looks to be over 350 pages, and will be Smyth sewn so that it lies flat and displays the illustrations properly. We have a printer and binder lined up in Nebraska with whom we will be producing them.
We're really excited for the potential a Kickstarter campaign inherently brings. Beyond raising funds, Kickstarter can serve as a way to reach a broader audience than we already have. It also gives us a chance to give everyone cool swag!
Reaching a broader audience through Kickstarter can also help alleviate one expense for the time being: advertising.
To date, I've shouldered the financial burden of paying for the artwork, advertising, server space, etc. all on my own. It's been a pleasure and a privilege, but is one that's untenable for the future. Kickstarter is the perfect way to ask the community that has come to enjoy ITN to help keep it going into the next year!
Proceeds will go first to pay for perks and their delivery, then to pay for artwork for Season 2. Into the Nanten will always be available on intothenanten.com for free.
If you have to hold it in your hands and you miss the Kickstarter, we'll make the hardcover available for purchase later on as well as ebook versions of ITN available through retailers. That will be another way of supporting the project down the line.
Where credit is due:
Our video was produced almost entirely by Little Fish Productions, with footage in Toronto shot by Martin-André Young. We also want to say thank you to the Connely's who lent us their lovely study as a set, as well as Little Garden Cafe for allowing us to film on site.
Risks and challenges
Between us, Nimit and I have printed and sold thousands of prints and books. There are two potential hangups that face us with this project:
1) The leather-binding process might take more time than anticipated as the printing and binding will happen separately and by hand.
2) Signing everything could add some unforeseen time as Nimit and I live in different countries and will either have to fly to sign them or ship them all across the border and back. At the very least I (Jay) will sign everything, but we hope to get everything signable signed by us both.
- (30 days)