About this project
SprayPrinter is the smart spray paint technology that lets your spray can do the thinking. You can print images on any surface with just a smartphone, some spray paint, and SprayPrinter. It knows where to release the paint making it perfect for creatives at any level.
It usually requires years of practice and experience to create even something modest...
SprayPrinter gives you a new way to express yourself. There is nothing more uninspiring than a boring blank wall.
T-Shirt or Hoodie. Your car, your helmet, a surfboard, a pumpkin, a matchstick.
You name it.
Have fun experimenting and creating unique memories that last.
While SprayPrinter may seem like it operates on unicorn magic, it’s not quite so mysterious: SprayPrinter communicates to your phone via bluetooth and an LED-light on the printer. The image is printed layer by layer, pixel by pixel, and you can use as many colors as you like.
1. DOWNLOAD OUR APPLICATION AND CHOOSE AN IMAGE
Use a ready-made design from our artists collection or your own custom image. Designs are separated into different layers by color tones.
2. SET UP YOUR PHONE
...on a stable platform or a tripod facing the camera toward the wall you want to decorate. You can see how the design will look on you wall through your phone’s screen.
Attach the first spray can to SprayPrinter, put it against the wall and start moving the device. Your phone tracks every movement of the printer and knows its exact position all the time.
3.5 SWITCH CANS FOR DIFFERENT TONES
You can do one tone at the time. It's possible to use freehand to add some spontaneous details like a signature.
What we have created isn't just a new fun tool, it's a totally unique printmaking method connecting digital and analogue as the end result also depends on the user's hand movement. It is like a colouring book where inside the lines you can do whatever and don't have to worry about ruining the end result.
That's why we are building a community of enthusiast to experiment together. In SprayPrinter application users can share their designs, printing techniques and ideas what and where to print.
Artists can get noticed in their niche and make a decent living while SprayPrinter community users have access to thousands of professional masterpieces and can communicate with artists to find the perfect design for their wall.
This is Mihkel, the crazy tech wizard who invented the SprayPrinter.
Mihkel is a Dad. His daughter was fascinated with unicorns. One day she asked Mihkel to draw a unicorn on her bedroom wall.
Mihkel wasn't good at drawing unicorns. In fact, Mihkel wasn't good in drawing really anything at all.
But he is a great inventor, so with some creative thinking and a Nintendo Wii controller strapped to a car engine valve the SprayPrinter and the first unicorn were born.
Armed with only an idea, we had a successful Indiegogo campaign that let us create our first SprayPrinters. Now we have shipped to all the backers from 42 countries and they are out there SprayPrinting!
We were 2 months late with shipping products to Indiegogo early birds, but we shipped the rest of the printers 2 months earlier than promised. We are now much more experienced with manufacturing and know to avoid troubles we had.
Our inventor is crazy. And he comes up with new solutions almost every day. By now, SprayPrinter has plenty of improvements: speeding up the printing process and improving the accuracy with SUCA - Super Ultrafast Communication Agent, and the option for multiple people to print at the same time. To fulfil all the improvements and start mass production of SprayPrinter 2 we need your help.
Our CEO, Richard, founded his first company when he was 18. He continued pursuing business ventures, some ending in failure, but the lessons he learned have helped us grow as a company. The main point he took away from his experiences was the importance of having a diverse and highly motivated team. Our team consists of 8 members based in Tartu, Estonia. We have a diverse educational and work background including: company management, journalism, design, and street art. Our team members have done some great things such as founding international street art festivals and working at Siemens in Industrial product management. This unique cast of characters have some interesting hobbies and skills as well including: sailing, street art, mountain climbing, and DJing. We even have a fire performance artist and origami fashion designer. All these unique backgrounds make us ready to tackle any challenge that comes our way.
1. What are the chances it'll screw up the wall? SprayPrinter only supports water-based paints and paint can be removed easily with a wet cloth when the paint hasn’t yet dried. When paint has dried the results are permanent so you should choose wisely when commiting to a project.
2. If printing on T-Shirt, will the colors bleed/come through the shirt?When printing to a shirt, the paint will come through but that can be easily avoided when putting some cardboard inside the shirt. That way the shirt remains smooth and no paint will seep through to the other side.
3. How long does each can last? That depends on how much you use it. You will be able to one full layer with one can. If your design is only of one color, you can easily make one design with it. When the pressure inside the can lowers to a certain level in which the pixels from the printer stop being consistent then the can needs some shaking to provide paint to the printer.
4. What types of Spray paints should I use? You can use all standard size spray cans (300 or 400 ml with a 65 mm diameter). We recommend only using water-based paints which are more printer friendly. Do not use solvent-based paints. We have a close partnership with MTN and we’ve mostly used their water-based spray paints in our testing. You can find their stores around the world.
5. How will I get more designs? Is there a limit? You can get more designs through our Community web site or through the SprayPrinter app. There are no limits for purchasing designs. Many of the designs are free so you can test them out without any cost. We are adding new designs all the time and you can choose from a wide variety of different ideas.
6. What If I don't have a wall to put it on? SprayPrinter has a variety of different use cases. You don’t have to limit yourself with only walls. There are shirts, bags, canvases, pumpkins (literally any surface) you can use SprayPrinter with. We are dreaming up new ways to print every day and the possibilities seem endless.
7. How much skill do I need to use this? No previous artistic skills are required to use SprayPrinter.
8. What about support and instructions? Each SprayPrinter comes with thorough step-by-step user instructions that walk you through the process. There is also a support via email should you run into challenges. We CARE about our family.
The printer has an LED light and the smartphone’s tracks the bright spot using video feed from the camera. The system has some inevitable delay and to pinpoint the position of the printer we have added position prediction algorithm in the software. Once we know where the printer is in real time, it is simple for the program to decide weather to release the pixel or not. In addition, it remembers where pixels are already released (if not set otherwise in settings menu).
The other big part of the printer is the mechanics. Our core innovation is fast acting electromagnetic valve that can open and close up to 200 times per second. This means you can print up to 200 pixels per second giving you the freedom to move your hand freely just as you would with the regular paintbrush.
Risks and challenges
It is clear that the technology behind SprayPrinter is disruptive in many different ways. We have developed the core technology which has been a tremendous job. The thing is that even though we have the brightest minds behind the mechatronics, electronics and software, we do not have the power and budgets of huge corporations which is our biggest risk.
We need all the support we can get to get SprayPrinter market ready as soon as possible because the word is out there and we need to be fast.
For most crowdfunding campaigns there is also risk of manufacturing and technology working properly resulting in late deliveries. We have gone through that process already (with the first SprayPrinter on Indiegogo) and do not see this as our challenge any longer but another point why YOU, the backer can be sure intend to deliver on time.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (29 days)