We hear it from every angle. At home, at school, in the media, and even in our places of worship, we're told to stay quiet. Submit. Bow.
Both in heritage cultures and throughout America, wherever we turn, it seems Asian Americans are only given a place when we buy into systems of authority, identity, and behavior.
But there is another way. Defying convention, we can stand, finding our voices and forging new stories of resistance and creation.
Bow. is a book of dispatches from the struggle for Asian-American soul.
Through 120 pages of poems, stories, and articles set alongside photographs and illustrations, friends & members of our creative community reflect on
- who we are;
- what we have been taught to unquestioningly submit to; and
- how we resist.
Bow. is a conversation starter, celebration of conviction, and reminder of the work ahead.
Bow. is a step into the fight of faith, culture, and community.
Bow. is curated by jason chu, with photography and visual direction by Yohan Yoon, designed by Winnow + Glean and presented by INHERITANCE Magazine.
- jason chu (Rapper/Poet/Activist) is on a mission to speak hope, healing, and justice in a broken world. He has performed at colleges and conferences around the country, at the White House, and internationally throughout Asia.
- Yohan Yoon (Photographer/Videographer) is a Korean-American Los Angeles native, telling stories through Photography, Videography, Producing, Writing, Editing, and Travel.
- Winnow + Glean (Design) is a bi-coastal creative studio that marries design and storytelling with over 20 years of collective experience in providing web, identity, and print services
- INHERITANCE Magazine (Publisher) is a publication dedicated to sharing the diverse stories, experiences, and reflections of Asian Americans, and how their unique cultural identities impact their understandings of personal and communal faith.
Bow. features poets, comedians, musicians, journalists, and more, including:
- Taz Ahmed (Activist/Writer, #GoodMuslimBadMuslim Podcast, #MuslimVDay Cards)
- Arianna Basco (Mom/Poet/Author/Cultural Architect, Our Mic)
- Andrew Chau (Founder, Boba Guys)
- J. Han (Hip-Hop Artist, Good Fruit Co.)
- Mike Hernandez (Artist, Exile Child)
- Chris Jacob (Creative Director/USC Lecturer/Musician)
- Joe Kye (Portland Violinist-Looper, Eternal Optimist)
- Krystal Herrera (Artist/Poet, Tree Art)
- Karen Joyce (Songwriter/Musician)
- Jenyi (Singer/Songwriter)
- Naomi Lee (Writer/Activist, INHERITANCE Magazine)
- Teresa Lee (Comedian/Writer)
- Traci Lee (Journalist/Author)
- Alex Luu (Activist/Artist/Poet/Student, Get Lit BNV)
- Mark Maza (Poet/Writer/Open Mic Organizer, The Definitive Soapbox + Our Mic)
- Vanessa S. Na (Cambodian Activist/Co-Founder, Project Ava)
- NAK (Lyricist/Registered Nurse, Good Fruit Co.)
- Simon Tam (Bassist/Founder, The Slants)
- Craig Taubman (Musician/Founder, Craig n’ Co + Pico Union Project)
- Andrew Ti (Comedian/Podcast Host, Yo Is This Racist?)
- Benjamin To (Filmmaker/Wordsmith, BAND WITH NO NAME Films)
- Alice Tse (Illustrator)
- Kavi Vu (Poet/Director)
- Justin Woo (Poet/Technical Coordinator/Committee Member, Jersey City Slam)
- $1 - Feed the movement - Young voices and artists need all the support we can get! Donate any amount under $30, and we'll send you virtual hugs, digital appreciation, and warm feelings.
- $30 - “Bow.” softcover - Includes a copy of the "Bow." SOFTCOVER book, including 120 pages of text laid out alongside full-color photographs and illustrations.
- $50 - “Bow.” hardcover (Make 100) - Includes limited "Bow." HARDCOVER book (edition of 100) signed by the creative team, as well as a limited edition sticker. Part of Kickstarter's "Make 100" initiative.
- $100 - PHOTO EDITION (Make 100) - Includes a large, high-quality print selected from the photography of Yohan Yoon (edition of 5) suitable for framing and display, as well as all rewards from the $50 level (limited hardcover, sticker)
- $100 - ART + PIN EDITION (Make 100) - Includes a limited print (edition of 5, exclusive to Kickstarter) from W+G's John "enger" Cheng, as well as an enamel pin and all rewards from the $50 level. (12"x12" artwork on Moab Entrada Rag Bright 300gsm paper.)
- $200 - DEFINITIVE PROOF EDITION - Includes a proof printing of the "Bow." HARDCOVER signed by the creative team and annotated personally by jason chu, as well as a one-of-a-kind photo print from Yohan Yoon and a one-of-one print by John "enger "Cheng, all exclusive to you. Also includes enamel pin and sticker. (EXTREMELY LIMITED, ONLY 2 AVAILABLE)
- $300 - Artist Sponsor - Sponsor a piece in the book. We will match you with a project contributor (visual or prose - your choice) who will provide either a handwritten copy of their piece or an original piece of art, just for you. Your name and short dedication (under 15 words) will be included in the Thanks section printed in all copies of the book, with a note about the piece you sponsored. Also includes a special, one-of-one hardcover copy of the book personalized for you.
- $500 - Patron of the Arts - Thank you for your support of young artists and community voices! Receive a special, one-of-one hardcover copy of the book personally tailored just for you, with extensive hand-written notes and commentary from jason chu and Yohan Yoon. Your name and two-line dedication will also be included in the Thanks section printed in all copies of the book, with a note from the team. If you're in LA, we'll take you out to lunch or dinner; if not, we'll find a nice gift in the spirit of the project to send you, and if you want, hang out on Skype or Google and chat.
Listed costs do not include shipping + handling. To arrange international shipping outside of the US and Canada, please message us before placing your pledge.
We're making this book to be beautiful and useful. With that said, the costs to create and ship the project are:
- PUBLISHING: $5775
- SHIPPING: $1250
- TOTAL: $7025
We also hope to provide a small honorarium for contributors in appreciation of their time and craft.
Risks and challenges
The $5000 target for this Kickstarter is a bare minimum to ensure that printing "Bow." is financially feasible for us. We the creators are ready to assume any costs beyond what we raise, as long as crowdfunding can cover a majority of the budget.
INHERITANCE Magazine publishes a print edition every month, coordinating multiple collaborators on tight deadlines. As our publishing partner, they will set a timeline to ensure that this project comes together in time for its mid-May delivery.
While jason, Yohan, and W+G have other commitments in the Spring timeframe (other client work, completing previous merchandise delivery, other scheduled shoots/performances), we have checked our schedules to ensure that there is plenty of time to devote to this project.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (22 days)