The 45L Denali Leather Duffel : The Ultimate Leather Travel Bag
Since we first started making leather goods, we have been fine tuning every aspect of the production process. From the design of the bag, to the leather and hardware types, we have been working to keep them as authentic as possible, while maintaining the highest level of functionality and performance.
As this is our second duffel bag we have launched on Kickstarter, we have had a lot of feedback on features people are looking for in a travel bag, not the least of which was having a size option that was big enough to be used as a carry on for a cross-continental flight, while staying within the carry on size restrictions.
We built this bag around the idea of maximizing the usability of a carry on duffel, and making it easy to transport with your luggage, through security and around the airport.
The idea for this specific type of bag has come after getting frustrated with trying to get through security with my duffel bag and laptop, having to gate check my carry on luggage, and wishing my smaller travel bags were big enough to carry all of my important items that I didn't want going in with my checked bag. These problems, along with a ton of feedback from customers, family and friends, we have come up with a bag that not only makes airline travel easier, but it stays right in line with our Classic + Rugged Kodiak Leather look and feel.
Introducing the 45L Denali Leather Duffel.
A travel bag that can be used for business, as well as the outdoors. A bag that makes you want to plan that bucket list trip, just so you can take it with you.
- 45L size (which is within the carry on size requirements for airlines.)
- Separated, padded laptop compartment on the lower portion of the bag near the base. This makes going through security so much easier!! Just unzip the base compartment and pull out your laptop for security, then place it back in the separated compartment. This pocket is big enough for a 15" laptop as well as a power bank.
- Removable Luggage Strap for easy carry on top of roller suitcase. This will keep your bag secure and keep it from falling off or sliding around on top of your suitcase / luggage.
- Shoe pocket. This pocket is similar to our 60L duffel style, and can be used to separate your dirty clothes, shoes, or give easy access to any other items.
- 3 exterior zippered pockets. One on each side of the bag near the handles, and one large zippered pocket on the end of the bag. This pocket is perfect for your passport, keys, or wallet.
- Thick, Top Grain Leather.
- YKK Zippers.
- Heavy Duty Nylon Liner.
- Brass feet.
- Removable & Adjustable shoulder strap.
- Double layered carrying handle on the front of the bag.
Interior || Zippered compartment, phone and pen holders, heavy duty nylon liner, 45L carrying capacity
Exterior || Shoe Pocket, adjustable shoulder strap, 2 zippered side pockets, 1 large zippered pocket for phone, keys wallet. Double zipper can be locked. Separate padded laptop compartment on base, making it easy to get through security. Big enough for a powerbank and laptop. Sturdy carry handle.
We are Kodiak Leather (www.kodiakleather.com), a startup in Lehi, Utah founded by Jared Morse, an outdoorsman who was frustrated by the lack of reasonably priced leather bags that would hold up through all the wear and tear of daily use. This inspired Jared to create Kodiak Leather Co. and our custom leather bags. After finding only the highest quality leather and hardware, we set out to build a bag that would last a lifetime.
Fast Forward 4 Years...
After having 4 successful Kickstarter campaigns, the Buffalo Leather Satchel, The Classic Weekender Duffel, the Sitka Leather Messenger, and our most recent Kobuk Leather Backpack, we have come full circle on offering a wide variety of travel bags , briefcases (similar to the satchel and the messenger), as well as some smaller, everyday carry items like journals and wallets.
We have had countless insights on product design, future product offerings, and functionality suggestions from our 3200+ previous backers.
Leather Color Options
This bag will be available in Antique Brown and Dark Walnut.
Full Product Specs:
- Dimensions: 21" L x 12" W x 11" H
- Weight: 4 lbs 14 oz.
- Padded Laptop Sleeve: Located on the lower portion of the bag, measures 16" W x 10" D x 2.5" H. This pocket will fit up to a 15" laptop, as well as a standard sized power bank.
- Shoulder Strap Length: Each strap is fully adjustable from 61" to 38" (Clip to Clip).
- Thick, Top-Grain Leather
- Brass Hardware
- Premium YKK Metal Zippers
- Heavy Duty Nylon Liner
45L Denali Leather Duffel
Denali Traveler's Set
October 2018: Begin design and prototyping of 45L Denali Duffel.
November 2018: Complete first prototype. Make end pocket size adjustment. Switch duffel from backpack style to standard shoulder strap style. Add brass feet. Start new sampling.
February 2019: Second sample complete.
March 2019: Product testing begins. Took duffel on trip to London. Loved everything about the bag, except it kept slipping off my suitcase at the airport. Decided to add the removable luggage strap to secure duffel to suitcase. Begin sampling of revised design.
April 2019: Final prototype is finished. Along with other designs for campaign. Final colors selected.
May 21: Launch Kickstarter Campaign.
July 10: Kicksktarter Campaign Ends.
July 24: Receive Funds From Kickstarter / Start Production & Manufacturing of Rewards.
October 7: Complete Production of Kickstarter Rewards.
October 14: Begin Shipping Rewards.
October 31: Remaining Reward Fulfillment Completed.
Every Kodiak Leather bag is made for a lifetime of use. In fact, we believe in our craftsmen, our materials and our designs so much that we warranty them against defects in materials and workmanship. If there is ever a problem with one of our products just send it back and we will either repair or replace it for free.
Risks and challenges
While we are a fairly young company, this is not our first Kickstarter project!
We have a good idea of what to expect on producing these rewards, but as always there are potential delays and setbacks as we depend on other businesses for our leather supply and hardware.
The timeline we have set is a very realistic timeline, and we are very confident that we will deliver your rewards on time! Our past 4 campaigns have delivered very close to their original timelines. We have also simplified this campaign even more than our previous campaign (less add-on's), which will speed up production and fulfillment time frames!
- (50 days)