Our Kickstarter campaign is over, but you'll still be able to get a MacDock. Head over to sapper.me for more info.
MacDock, is the most minimal dock for the MacBook.
The MacDock is the first docking station for the MacBook that is Apple-design worthy. Just seamlessly connect the MacDock to your MacBook and you’ll be connected to all your peripherals such as your Monitor, External hard drive, iPad, Mouse, speakers, etc. While designing the MacDock, we strove to create a minimalist yet fashionable product that seamlessly blends into your table, especially with your MacBook.
What others are saying about the MacDock
"There’a gotta be a better way! Imagine my interest when I saw this week’s featured Kickstarter!" - MacTrast
"This plug is a small detail, ... ...you won’t be flipping plugs upside down again and again, guessing how the ends fit." - Fastcodesign
"...one of the more elegant MacBook docks on the market." - Tech City News
"Because you don’t have any Thunderbolt accessories. Nobody does... ...what you need is the MacDock..." - Cult of Mac
Meet the MacDock
The MacDock gives you the opportunity to connect everything in your working station in one simple, neatly designed dock. The MacDock is made of Aerospace grade Aluminium and you can get it in MacBook silver or black slate.
- You can connect:
- Audio Jack
- Three x USB 3.0 (Also compatible with USB 2)
- One 12W Power USB to charge your iPad
- Material: Aerospace grade aluminium
- MacBook silver
- Black slate
- All MacBook Pro 13", 15" and 17" models starting summer 2009
- All MacBook Pro Retina 13" and 15" models
How will you use the MacDock?
You simply connect the MacDock to your MacBook and You'll be able to connect all your peripherals through a beautifully designed dock.
Don't forget: The MacDock is purely plug-and-play, which means you don't need to install anything for it to work.
The current model of the MacDock Pro is compatible with all the MacBook Pro models starting Summer 2009 and The MacDock Retina is compatible with all the new MacBook Pro Retina models. Have a look at the picture and compare the two marked sockets with your own MacBook. If they are arranged the same way, congratulations; your MacBook is compatible with the current MacDock family.
The functional prototype
Our device consist of mechanics and electronics. The mechanics are often overlooked, the CNC-aluminium prototypes in our Kickstarter video have taken over four months to get to the current stage. The result is a beautiful well designed consumer electronics-level enclosure.
The electronics have taken even longer to develop. We have used evaluation kits and break-out boards to put together a complete set of components in order to test the electrical feasibility of the concept. We are currently working on the miniaturizing the electronics. So that all the components of our current working prototype fit in the designed enclosure.
What does the functional Prototype do?
The functional prototype does everything the final docking station will do: transfer USB 3.0 data, connect 3 USB 3.0 devices, charge an iPad and transfer Mini Displayport.
Miniaturizing the electronics
We have made a circuit board design that fits all the components into a very tiny package.
International taxes and shipping
As long as our products pass the standard quality test for a country or region, we are shipping to the entire world. The box we ship is a gift itself, from us to you, with a little surprise in it.
Things tend to take more time than you hope, doesn't it? We have a pretty conservative schedule laid out for us. Roughly, it looks like this:
- May – Finalizing design and construction of the MacDock
- June – Start CNC testing, do batches of electronics
- July – Product tests, certification and finding fulfillment partner
- September – Start production of final version
- October – Start shipping the first MacDocks to our earliest backers
Questions? Comments? Criticisms?
Feel free to contact us directly if you have anything you'd like to say about the MacDock. Just send us an email: email@example.com or drop us a line.
HELP US SPREAD THE WORD
In addition to your pledge, please help us spread the word about our project
Like us on Facebook and talk up MacDock with your family, friends, and co-workers.
Follow us on Twitter @MacDockbySapper - Tweet about us #MacDock, #Kickstarter
Follow us on Pinterest and pin MacDock to your boards
We are also looking for electronics stores, and specialty retail outlets that are interested in carrying MacDock products. If you are one or know of one, please send them our way to firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you, and we look forward to getting you docked!
Cheers, Thank you, woot!
It’s been an incredible year, and I thank you for backing us and taking part in this adventure!
Risks and challenges
Getting to the point where we can ship the MacDock to your door from the point we are at now, involves the following:
1) Getting the design and construction ready for production. All the components must fit together.
2) Flex connection: We have to get the ideal combination of flex length and thickness for ideal data transfer. This will definitely be an interesting task, but not difficult to tackle. We have a team of experts in this field to get this done.
3) Setting up a logistics and quality assured manufacturing chain. In every step of the production, our manufacturers need to have strict guidelines and tests to sort out the good units from the bad as early as possible.
4) Unforeseeables: If you are a regular Kickstarter user, you will know the inherent risks that we face when launching a Kickstarter project. The most common one is dealing with unforeseeable situations and unforeseeable problems. Which I can’t list here due to the mere nature of these and the vast amount of improbable things that might happen and the ones that will end up happening. Herewith we pledge that we will tackle any problem with our best energy and competence. We have a team of experienced problem-solvers who will get this project through hard times, and you'll take part in this adventure by receiving regular updates.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (44 days)