Hello, my name is Janice and I'm an independent illustrator based in Toronto. I currently freelance, creating artwork for magazines, books, games and more. While I draw everything from landscapes to animals to fashion, my favorite subject to draw is - by far - people. I love using my art to tell stories, and I always believed people's faces could tell the best ones.
I want to create a book, and I want you to be a part of it. The book will be called Faces, and through your commissions, it'll be filled with beautifully rendered digital portraits of you and your stories.
With everything going on in the world today, I want this project to remind us what it means to be human. The diversity of the human face the world over reveals the true beauty of our individuality. By compiling our faces and our stories, we'll be creating a map full of unique backgrounds and lived experiences, highlighting the common features that unite us, and the unique differences that make life interesting.
With your help, I can hopefully publish this book one day and be able to see it in bookstores everywhere.
You can commission a portrait of yourself, a friend, or a loved one. People of all genders and ages are welcome!
The book will feature a beautiful classic softcover, measuring 8" x 8" - a perfect addition to your coffee table. Each page will be presented in a tasteful and minimal format while displaying portraits and stories commissioned during this Kickstarter campaign.
If you commission a portrait, you'll have a full page dedicated to you! You can also receive a digital file you can send to your friends and family, a physical print of your portrait (7" x 7"), and a copy of the book in which you will be featured. Every page will be designed with it's own unique touch. All books will be personally signed by me.
For further instructions for each specific tier, please CLICK HERE.
If this campaign is successfully funded, all submissions must be submitted no later than December 31st, 2017. It’s as simple as that! If you have any more questions, you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Disclaimer: Please keep in mind that when you send in your questionnaire, you consent to the publication of your answer(s).
If you are commissioning a portrait, please follow these guidelines:
- Email a high resolution photo (original files preferred) or link me your Instagram if you have photos of yourself there
- Photo should show the chest and up (avoid full body shots)
- Avoid extreme angles
- Provide as many photos as possible, the more the merrier!
- For Lavender & Rosemary, please email separate photos of each other in the same email (for further instructions click HERE)
- Keep a neutral expression
Commissioned artwork can be shared and posted online with appropriate artist credit, but not sold or used commercially in any way, shape or form by any person(s) or organization(s) other than Janice Sung. The copyrights of all other images and products of this campaign are held by Janice Sung.
Answer any of the questions below. Don't be afraid to elaborate on your responses. Remember that your answers will help create your story for your portrait, so the more detail and explanation you can provide, the better. Have fun, be as real or as silly as you'd like because I want to highlight your unique personality.
- What chance encounter changed your life?
- What do you currently struggle with?
- What did you struggle with growing up?
- What do you regret not doing?
- What’s the best and worst piece of advice you’ve ever received?
- Who is someone that you miss having in your life? What is your favorite memory of them?
- What scares you about the future?
- What is something you have only recently formed an opinion about?
- What’s the best and worst thing about getting older?
- What is one thing you tried but would never do again and why?
- If you could make one rule that everyone had to follow, what rule would you make and why?
Questions for Lavender and Rosemary
You can both choose to answer one of the questions from above on your own, or each of you can choose to answer one of the questions found below. These questions can also apply to those who've ordered a portrait of someone else.
- How did you two meet?
- What is your favorite thing about this person?
- What is the fondest memory you have together?
- What has been the best thing this person has done for you?
- What made you fall in love with him/her?
- What has been the biggest obstacle you two have been through together?
Receive three prints of your choice for $25. Please CLICK HERE to see all the pieces you can choose from. You will be sent a survey on December 10th, where you can list which three prints you'd like to receive. Simply put the letter found in the left corner of each piece (eg: A, E, H). If you don't see the piece that you wanted, feel free to let me know!
Give a friend or loved one a gift that will last forever. A painted portrait is a beautiful and meaningful way to show your love and appreciation. They'll be reminded of you each time they see it.
Need this in time for Christmas, or Valentines day, for a special someone? I've got you covered! I'll email you a custom holiday card as proof of purchase. They're sure to love it!
Instructions:If you would like a custom holiday card, let me know when you email me the portraits. In the email, include the following:
- name of the person you're gifting it to
- what holiday/event it's for (Christmas, Valentines day, birthday etc.)
- a message from you (or if you'd like it to be from me, let me know)
Faces will be available for worldwide shipping. Books will be shipped in literature mailers, with prints in sturdy flat mailers.
Kickstarter’s recent project, Commissions provides the perfect opportunity for me to collaborate with you to create something meaningful and one-of-a-kind. It's a great way to showcase diversity and beauty in a form of a self published community supported project - Faces.
Social Media / Contact
Videography: Hamzah Amin
Photography: Melissa Sung
Music: Sky High
Risks and challenges
This is going to be my first ever Kickstarter so there's no doubt that there'll be many challenges along the way. But I'm very determined and passionate about this project. I promise I won't let you guys down.
I'm also very active on social media. I'll be regularly updating my website, Instagram, Facebook, Tumblr and here on Kickstarter about the campaign.
Once again, please feel free to email me at email@example.com if you ever have any questions, and I'll reply to you as soon as possible.
Thank you so much for taking the time to check out my campaign, I hope you consider being a part of this project.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)