Greetings, friends. This is Jamie Tanner, author of The Aviary, The Black Well, and various other odd comics. I'm making more of them, and am launching a new mini-comics series to convey them out into the dark, strange corners of the independent comics world. So, here's issue number one of THE CONSUMPTIVE.
The series will likely vary in size, shape, and length, to accommodate whatever comics I happen to be working on. I'm hoping to release 2 or 3 issues a year, on no particular schedule. Here's how it will work:
- Each issue will primarily be available digitally for just $1. Or you can pay more, if you want, I won't stop you.
- I'll launch each issue with a Kickstarter project to print a small batch of mini-comics.
- The only way to get physical copies of the mini-comics will be via Kickstarter or in-person at conventions.
- Once the Kickstarter project has been fulfilled, the comic will be available digitally in the Consumptive Press store.
So what's in the first issue?
Glad you asked.
- A short story called The Advance. Here's the first page:
- Another story called Lucky Boy. Here's a panel:
- And selections from Always On Brand, a fairly silly experiment in comics poetry, assembled from internet spam and social media detritus. Here's one:
In all, this first issue should be around 20 pages or so. The whole thing is written, and I'm in the process of drawing it all now. I'm aiming to have it all finished by the time this project reaches its deadline, and should have copies on hand at the fast-approaching 2015 MoCCA Arts Festival on April 11-12 here in NY. Anyone attending said festival is more than welcome to pick up their rewards in person.
- More mini-comics:
* So So Far
* We Were Like Ghosts / We Ghosts Were Like
* The Retreat, and Other Matters of Motivation and Relaxation
- My graphic novel The Black Well
- Whatever else I happen to think of while the project is live
Original Art Rewards:
I'll talk more about some of those individual rewards in updates, to prevent this description from becoming novel-length. If the description thus far has piqued your interest, please consider pledging to the project. If not, thanks for looking, and have yourself a pleasant day.
Risks and challenges
The main challenge will just be completing the new comic in the very brief time remaining before MoCCA Fest. Shipping all the rewards, too, that's always a challenge. You may note that physical rewards only ship within the US — this is to minimize the risk of such shipping-related issues. Also, these mini-comics are meant to be small, inexpensive things — shipping them internationally would make them far more expensive than I'm comfortable with. I may change my mind about this on future projects, who knows. For now, if you're outside the US, I recommend embracing digital comics. Go on, embrace them.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (17 days)