This is Jamie Tanner, author of The Aviary, The Black Well, and The Consumptive. I make strange comics, and with this project I'd like to turn your social media posts into surreal comics poetry. Like this:
So how does this work?
In short: you send me a tweet (or other social media post) and I turn it into a comic. The one above was made for a generous backer of my last project, who sent me this tweet:
Got it? Great. Want to participate? Even better.
This is a small, simple experiment: I want to make a short book's worth of these illustrated social media comics, likely around 40-ish pages. Back the project and you'll get the book — even the lowest reward tier includes the digital version. Or you can pledge to submit your own tweet to be adapted.
Not convinced? Want to see more such comics before you pledge? Okay, sure. Here are a few others from my ALWAYS ON BRAND series (these are adapted from "Promoted Tweets"):
The Fine Print:
- As noted above, you can submit any kind of social media post you like — Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc. "Illustrated Tweet" just sounds catchier. And tweets are a nice short length for a one-page comic.
- I may edit your submitted text slightly, if it's overly long, or if it would make for a better comic somehow.
- I'll tweet the finished comic at you, if you like. You can post yours anywhere you want.
- I will be publishing the finished comics in a book, as I mentioned. So if you don't want your tweet seen by a tiny audience of weirdos, you may not want to submit one. But if you do, you're granting me permission to publish it. And again, you can do what you want with your illustrated tweet, too.
- The book will probably be in black and white, a small print on demand paperback. If possible, I may try to print in color, funds permitting. But I need to see what I wind up with at the end of this project. It's an experiment.
- No hate speech or horribly offensive content, please. Profanity's fine, just try not to go way over the line, you know? Thanks.
Risks and challenges
The main risk is not getting enough backers / tweets to fill the book. If so, then the book will likely also include a bunch of new "Promoted Tweet" comics (see examples above).
I'm hoping to complete this in fairly short order, but comics often wind up taking longer to make than I expect. Shipping, too — it's no fun going to the post office, and it can take a while. But I'll keep you updated along the way and we'll all be happy, right? Right.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (21 days)