Welcome to Dynasty Typewriter at The Hayworth!
Dynasty Typewriter will be a new venue for highly curated live entertainment in an LA cultural landmark; a place where the experience will begin the moment you walk through the door.
What does that mean? It means that not only will this be a new destination for you to see shows and films featuring the biggest names and best up-and-coming comedians, musicians, podcasters, screenwriters, and producers - it will be a place so enchanting, you'll want to write home about it.
With a commitment to creating unique, unforgettable experiences with the best talent in the world, we believe that GOMO™ (the GUARANTEE of missing out!) will be built into this place.
It's a little like The Magic Castle of comedy and variety. Heck, we even got their A/V designer on board.
So become a member. JOIN THE DYNASTY, won't you?!
WHY JOIN THE DYNASTY?
The merits of theatre membership include:
- Access and perks. Be the first to know about unpublicized, secret shows and events, drop-in guests, and more.
- Commitment to curation. Hand-picked programming will include stand-up, live podcasts, theatre, film screenings, speaker series, improv, concerts, select residencies, limited runs and more, surrounded by galas, workshops, and cultural events.
- Unparalleled audience experience. We believe every show should feel like an event; every act like it was hand picked just for you. You will feel taken care of, because, you know, we genuinely care!
- Unparalleled artist experience. We are committed to making this a safe haven for our performers and producers so they can focus on their craft, which means better shows for all!
- Get in on the ground floor. See why we are absolutely passionate about what we believe is a unique, innovative approach to entertainment and community.
- You’re in good hands. The venue will be managed and directed by it's Founder Jamie Flam who as Artistic Director of The Hollywood Improv, spent the past 6 years booking and producing shows with A-list talent. The building is owned by Jenji Kohan and Christopher Noxon, who, over the past year worked with celebrated architect Linda Brettler restoring the theater and breathing new life into this beautiful, historic space.
Your Dynasty Scribe Kit includes:
Dynasty Membership Card - Access never looked this handsome!
Dynasty Notebook - For daydreams, shopping lists, n' doodles!
Dynasty Pencil - Write things in your Notebook, then erase 'em!
Dynasty Pin - Wear it with pride, grace, and not through your skin! Dynasty Sticker - It's a sticker.
After careful consideration, we decided it would be ideal to start this venture by allowing our audience (YOU!) to get in on the ground floor. A crowdfunded soft opening will afford the theatre an opportunity to incorporate preliminary feedback from performers and audiences.
WHERE YOUR SUPPORT WILL GO
The theatre has been beautifully restored, but there are still a few things that need to happen before we can open the doors.
The experience we are committed to providing means everything to us. With that in mind, our first 3-4 months will be a time for us to experiment with shows while we continue fundraising, working out the kinks in operations, and bringing the space to life. Our goal is to launch our first official season of programming in March 2018. We want you to take part in our first phase, so together we can feel the joy and excitement of our official opening!
$100,000 is a great start, but with more support we can achieve our ultimate vision for the theatre much sooner which benefits everyone.
- An immediate upgrade to our A/V set-up
- A top notch podcast studio
- Additional staff and resources
WHY "DYNASTY TYPEWRITER?"
Founder Jamie Flam is a fifth-generation Angeleno, and his family’s roots in the community run deep. In 1915, his great-grandfather opened Angelus Typewriter in Downtown LA. Inspired by the family heritage, Flam has created a fictional business to give the venue an instant personality—Dynasty Typewriter, “the typewriter titans of the entertainment industry,” on whose machines countless film and television scripts were typed.
LA Weekly has put it quite eloquently!
OUR ARTISTS ARE OUR FOUNDATION
Our team is unique in that as producers and performers, we understand what is important for the ultimate experience both onstage and off. Our goal is to provide all of the resources and personnel necessary so that our performers can focus on performing, including:
- Trained techs and stage managers for seamless productions.
- On-site producers to help develop and bring show ideas to life.
- A safe haven to workshop ideas and experiment.
- Comfortable places to spend time before, during, and after shows.
PROOF OF CONCEPT
The vision for The Hayworth first came to life in 2013 when we produced two fundraisers that featured variety acts, epic musical numbers, and comedy greats including Bob Odenkirk, Rob Delaney, Garfunkel & Oates, Ali Wong, and Nick Kroll. The magical, sold-out events were an amazing showcase of the venue's tremendous possibilities.
Declared an LA cultural and historic landmark in 1981, The Hayworth building has been a creative hub for close to a century. It opened as The Masque Theater in 1926, and became home to one of the first tiki bars (The Vagabond's House), and in the 1980's and 90's it was LA's premiere revival movie house. With it’s spacious lobby with bar, performer greenrooms backstage, and gorgeous 200 seat theater, The Hayworth is a gem that deserves this rebirth. The history extends next door, as it is adjacent to La Fonda de Los Camperos, the first mariachi restaurant in the US and a staple of LA culture. We will have a shared front patio space, and they have full bar for our artists and audience to hang out in before and after shows.
The venue is in the rising Historic Westlake District - once called the Champs-Élysées of Los Angeles - nestled between thriving Downtown, Koreatown, Silver Lake, and Echo Park. We are excited to work with local community leaders to embrace and celebrate its rich culture and help its continued rise as a LA hub for the arts.
A NOTE FROM THE FOUNDER
Hi, I’m Jamie Flam! My passion is creating unforgettable, enchanting experiences that take people to a different place. Over the past 16 years I’ve produced shows in small theatres, big theatres, clubs, backyards, speakeasies, art galleries, beer distilleries and festivals.
As Artistic Director at The Hollywood Improv the past six years, I proudly joined a long comedy legacy, booking and producing shows with some of my comedy heroes. While there I brought in more live music and variety, instituted a development system for up-and-coming talent, and ushered in a new era of creativity at the club, consistent with my ongoing mission to bridge the gap between the indie and mainstream comedy worlds. In my last year, I oversaw the rebirth of The Lab, which became a home to some of LA’s best shows. The Improv set an all-time record in ticket sales. We were named the #1 comedy club in North America.
I’ve seized every opportunity to learn the ins and outs of the industry from both a business and artistic perspective. Now, with the full support and blessing of my peers, I am ready to open this new venue and couldn’t be more excited to share it with you!
- Historic Hayworth Theatre is entering a new stage of life (LA Times, 2014)
- HBO Writers Moving Into Westlake’s Historic Hayworth Theater (Curbed LA, 2014)
- Improv booker has thriving labs for humor experiments (Jewish Journal, 2016)
- Advisors: Barry McLaughlin, Jessica Jackley, Latif Tayour
- Production Team: Vanessa Ragland, Paul Hornschemeier, Jessica Kelley, Andrew Delman, Lee Newton
- Video Producers: Chachi Ramirez, Eric Gross, Ari Mannis
- Additional Support: Jade Wolf, Sam Pitchel, Joe Schmidt, Frank Muniz, Valerie Rope, Mahesh Kotagi, Lee Keeler, Juli Schneiderman, Vikki Flam, Frank Flam, Grandma Shirley
- Mike Menendez: Mike Menendez
Risks and challenges
Our team of advisors, contractors, and building staff give us confidence that we'll be able to start doing shows by December.
That in mind, A/V installations, final renovation permitting/licensing could affect our opening date.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (23 days)