About this project
Thanks to all Kickstarter backers who uncorked Tuscany! If you discover Tuscany after the project ends, you can order the retail version of the game (it’s the same version you see here) on the Stonemaier Games website.
The creators of Euphoria bring you Tuscany, a pack of 12 expansions to Viticulture that unlock ("uncork") every few games as determined by the previous game's winner. What story will you tell as you create the most successful vineyard in Tuscany?
Viticulture is a 2-6 player game in which you create a vineyard by planting vines, harvesting grapes, making & selling wine, building structures, and hosting visitors.
Tuscany cannot be played without Viticulture, which is available in several reward levels and as a $49 add-on. To learn more about Viticulture, you can download the rules, print and play it, watch videos about it, read some reviews, or view it on BGG.
All stretch goals are fully playtested and are included in every copy of Tuscany (Kickstarter and retail).
We can ship games to you in bulk if you coordinate a group purchase. Just choose your reward level and add the cost of each additional game to your pledge. Only pay the shipping fee once per pledge (any # of games, reward level, or country code).
Backers in Asia, Australia, and New Zealand are likely to get their games a little earlier than everyone else because we'll ship their games from China (bulk or direct).
- Money-Back Guarantee: If you decide you don’t like Tuscany within 1 month of receiving it, you can return it for a full pledge refund (see FAQ for details).
- Early-Adopter Discount: Every copy of Tuscany ($45) comes at a 36% discount off MSRP ($70) as an appreciation of your early support.
- Limited Availability: We don't do Kickstarter exclusives anymore, but we'll only print a limited number of certain rewards based on the final pledge totals.
- We Listen: We treat backers as collaborators—we really value your input, and we promptly and transparently address all questions and concerns.
- Because We Need You: We’ve covered the cost of graphic design and art for Tuscany, but we can’t manufacture and ship the game without your support.
Uncork all expansions in each tier in any order before opening the next tier. Here are the playtest rules and PnP (no graphic design on PnP).
- Mamas and Papas: These cards give each player different combinations of starting resources to create varied priorities in the early game.
- Patronage: These cards give each player an incentive to make wine and a secret goal to accomplish, encouraging a diversity of strategies from game to game and a grand reveal at the end of each game.
- Advanced Visitors: These cards offer players a variety of abilities that are good at all times of the game (most of these cards are in the format "Choose 1: A or B," where A is good early in the game and B is good late in the game).
- Property: These tiles overlay the fields on all vineyard mats and feature different maximum vine values and the ability to sell unused fields for money.
- Extended Game Board: This is a full game board with a new wake-up chart that creates a continuous flow from season to season and year to year, an influence map that lets players grab resources early and points late, and full worker-placement options in all four seasons, including several new actions.
- Special Workers: Similar to the grande workers, the special worker meeples are regular workers with one special ability each. This gives players the ability to not only choose where they place workers, but also which worker they will place.
- New Visitors: Many of these cards let players break the rules of the game or generate interactions and tough choices for opponents to make.
- Structures: Flip over the extended board to side 2 and you'll find a number of orange card icons on it. They represent a new set of 36 structures that you can build on your vineyard and your new construction mat. They're drawn from a deck of cards (just like visitors or vines), and you build them with the build action. Every structure offers special ongoing bonuses and new action spaces, forming your strategy in a different way each game.
- Arboriculture: This expansion gives players the ability to plant and harvest tomato vines, apple trees, and olive trees, create refined goods, and sell those goods with wine orders for points. Due to the extra strain on your workers, you have to keep an eye on their morale, which can either benefit or hinder you.
- Formaggio: The cheese expansion give players access to cows and four types of cheese to age in a cheese cellar. Several types of cheese experts are available on each player mat to impact the value of your cheese.
- Mafia: In the mafia expansion, players are trying to present the best gift to a retired capo who is building his holiday home in Tuscany. Each grande worker carries your hidden gift, but if two grande workers end up on the same action, they have to switch gifts.
The Automa Expansion adds a set of cards to the game that lets you play Viticulture and Tuscany solo in campaign mode with varying degrees of difficulty.
We faced a key decision when we started designing expansions to Viticulture: We could release expansions over the course of several years. That's what most game companies do, and we respect that strategy. Or we could do something different.
We decided to try something new: create an entire expansion experience while also offering people the best value for their money. Thus the idea for the Tuscany expansion pack: 12 expansions in one box.
It is a little odd for Tuscany to have a higher MSRP than Viticulture, but Tuscany costs more to make than Viticulture. To be fiscally responsible, we have to account for the fact that distributors purchase games at 60% off MSRP.
IMMORTALE ($149): There are 32 new visitor cards in Tuscany, and we've divided them into two groups of 16 for gender equality. If you choose this level, you will need to take a photo specifically for your digital painting by Beth Sobel.
Each visitor represents an adult who contributes to the needs of the vineyard, so the person on the card must be an adult (one person per card). These Immortale cards will be included in every Kickstarter copy of Tuscany.
We like to support game stores and wineries around the world by offering the special Kickstarter versions of our games to retailers during the campaign. If you're a retailer, please see our retail guidelines here and contact Jamey directly about your pledge.
This project is specifically to raise funds to make Tuscany. Independently, we are also printing second-edition copies of Viticulture--those files have already been submitted to the printer for pre-production.
In August, Viticulture will reach retailers, people who pre-order through our website, and backers who select Viticulture as an add-on (instead of the consolidated $79 and $99 rewards). We're able to offer those low prices by shipping Viticulture and Tuscany together in November, but if you want Viticulture in August, you may add it to any reward level (even the $1 level) for $49 or pre-order through our website.
The 2nd edition of Viticulture incorporates several rules changes, including the addition of the grande workers. These updated components are standard in every second-edition copy of Viticulture, and we will provide them for free in the Tuscany box for any current Viticulture owners (we'll ask you in the post-KS backer survey). We're trying to limit the number of upgraded components we mail individually to current Viticulture owners because of the expense and logistics involved, but we'll try to accommodate everyone as best as possible.
Euphoria (retail version) is not available as an add-on, but you can order it from our website for immediate shipment during this campaign at a discounted price while supplies last (sorry, we only have copies in the US and Canada at this point, so shipping elsewhere is expensive). The Kickstarter version of Euphoria is not available. We will be offering special "realistic" resources in the near future—you can subscribe to our e-newsletter for notification.
Risks and challenges
Tuscany is a first for us in that it is our first attempt at an expansion to an existing game. Fortunately we have an ever-growing number of local and worldwide playtesters who offered us feedback over the course of the development process.
The main challenges we experienced with Euphoria that we will learn from are:
(a) Amazon fulfillment isn't perfect, and occasionally a box might arrive slightly damaged (this happened on about 20 out of 5,000 copies of Euphoria delivered via Amazon fulfillment). For Tuscany we'll print replacement boxes to send to backers if needed.
(b) In games with a myriad of components, sometimes a component doesn't make it into the box for a small percentage of the games. Thanks to a number of helpful Stonemaier ambassadors worldwide, we are able to get replacement parts to backers within a few days, and we've worked with our manufacturer to reduce the chances of missing parts for the future.
Thanks to our experience with Viticulture and Euphoria, we know exactly what goes into creating a high-quality game and delivering it on time. Stonemaier Games now has a worldwide supply chain set up to ensure punctual and cost-effective delivery to backers in almost every country. We're still learning, but we're slowly adding to our track record of success from Viticulture and Euphoria. We're also working with the same manufacturer again (Panda GM), so we know exactly what they need to produce quality product on schedule.
We tend to invest everything we earn from Kickstarter into making the best game possible. Any extra cash flow we have is from retail sales, which we are funneling into the second printing of Viticulture.
Stonemaier Games established an advisory board of industry veterans in January '13 to help us mitigate risks and challenges. So even though we will surely face new challenges in the future, we have an incredible team of experienced advisors to point us in the right direction.
If you would like to know more about what we learned from our Kickstarter experiences and research, go to www.stonemaiergames.com to see 80+ Kickstarter Lessons to help you create a successful project too.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (28 days)