Thank you for funding the new treasure chests! If you discover this after the project ends, you can pre-order the chests (with all stretch goals) on the Stonemaier Games website.
The creators of the original Stonemaier Games Treasure Chest bring you 18 new types of premium, custom-sculpted resource tokens to enhance your favorite games. All tokens come pre-painted in the following configurations (no mixing and matching):
- Food Crate: steak, coffee, crate, bread, grain, and corn (28 tokens each)
- Resource Vault: water, wool, barrel, bag, cloth, and steel (28 tokens each)
- Energy Box: fire, gas, oil, uranium, coal, and trash (28 tokens each)
The barrel, bag, and crate can be used for any type of resource (e.g., if a game needs a rum token, it's in the barrel). Many other tokens also have dual uses: vegetable (corn), wheat or sand (grain), hazardous waste (uranium), etc.
Huge thanks to sculptor Scott Wadyko for creating such beautiful tokens for us!
You can see (and add to) a list of games that use these resources here (or Google Doc). The tokens in the Food Crate, Resource Vault, and Energy Box replace the cubes found in many of these games. The crate, barrel, and bag tokens can theoretically "contain" anything.
Some games that use resources in the Food Crate, Resource Vault, and Energy Box are:
Note: Some of these games include resources that are concealed or drawn randomly from a bag, so their use might depend on how competitively you play. We haven't played all of these games, so any mistakes on this chart are by accident.
Also, some of the resources in these games are covered by the gold, stone, brick, wood, gems, and ore in the original Treasure Chest, which is in stock and available for purchase now.
The maximum number of tokens each compartment can hold is 30 (180 total tokens per chest), so we'll cap the stretch goals at that point. These stretch goals are included in every version of the treasure chests we make (there is no difference between the Kickstarter version and the retail version, except that the retail MSRP is $60 and will be in limited supply).
Backers are limited to 6 total chests per pledge, as that's the number that can fit inside a shipping carton with proper packaging. For additional chests, you can pledge under a different Kickstarter account.
- Money-Back Guarantee: If you decide you don't like your treasure chests within 1 month of receiving them, you can return them for a full pledge refund. We'll even pay for shipping.
- Limited Availability: We don't do Kickstarter exclusive items, but we'll only print a limited first run of these products as based on the final pledge totals.
- Discounted Price: We will sell extra treasure chests post-Kickstarter for between $39 and $50 (compared to between $29 and $35 for KS prices).
- Make It Better for Everyone: The more backers we get, the better the treasure chests will be (see stretch goals). The Kickstarter prices will remain the same, but the post-Kickstarter price will increase as we add tokens.
- We Listen: We treat backers as collaborators--you will have a direct impact on the types of tokens we include in future treasure chests.
- Localized Shipping: Our shipping fees for Kickstarted products are so low because we send games in bulk to fulfillment centers around the world. This is your chance to lock in a low shipping rate.
- We Need You: We've covered the cost of graphic design, art, and sculpts, but we can't manufacture and ship these tokens without your support.
The new resource token samples are currently in China with our manufacturer, Panda GM. They've tested the sculpts for durability and color and are ready to make the final molds if this project is successful, but there aren't any tokens created yet for reviewers. However, you can learn about the overall quality of our treasure chest series by checking out reviews of the original Treasure Chest here.
We selected the resources for these treasure chests thanks to the feedback from backers of the original project. Thus the resources in these treasure chests are set--we won't be adding or changing the tokens at this point.
We still want to hear your ideas for future treasure chests. We're particularly interested in resources that (a) can be represented in a "realistic" way, (b) aren't already produced by another company, and (c) apply to several popular games (not just one game).
We anticipate that some backers may want a ton of a specific type of resource, but our supply chain is based on creating one cohesive version of this premium product, making it affordable for you, and shipping it to you quickly and cost-effectively.
However, we've worked out a solution with our friends at MeepleSource and Game Trayz to sell individual packs of tokens at a premium price ($10-$14 per bag of 25 tokens, plus shipping from the US) after the new chests are delivered to backers. So if there is a chest that contains only 1 or 2 token types you want to use (or if there are 1 or 2 types you need extras of), they will be available separately in late January 2016.
We like to support game stores around the world by offering the special Kickstarter versions of our game to retailers during the campaign. If you're a retailer, please contact Jamey directly at firstname.lastname@example.org for pricing information and manually make your pledge in full through Kickstarter during the campaign.
While we don't offer existing inventory as add-ons through Kickstarter, we have special deals on some of our products through our website, Amazon, and retailers:
- Treasure Chest (US, Canada, Europe, Germany, other). If you only want specific tokens at a premium price instead of the entire chest at a discounted price, our fulfillment partners, MeepleSource and Game Trayz, will soon have them available
- Metal Coins (US, Canada, Europe, Germany, other)
- Wooden Stars (US, Europe, Germany, other)
- Tuscany Prima (US, Canada, Germany, other)
- Between Two Cities (pre-order)
- Viticulture, Tuscany, and Euphoria are available from your friendly local game store and online game stores
- Food Crate, Resource Vault, & Energy Box: We prefer if you pledge through the Kickstarter interface, but if that's not possible for you, you can PayPal the funds to us with your mailing address, phone number, and a note about which chests you want. Shipping cannot be consolidated with other products.
If you don't see our games at your local game store, you can ask a manager to restock them. Thanks!
Some of the games that use the tokens in the original chest are found in the chart below (the full list is on BGG here).
Risks and challenges
With one treasure chest under our belt, we have a much better idea of how to mass produce custom tokens. It all starts with the sculpt. We worked with local hobbyist and sculptor Scott Wadyko to create the sculpts for these new treasure chests, then we sent them to Panda Game Manufacturing in China to test the tokens for how they fit into the molds.
We also learned about how "inking" the creases and cracks of the tokens can add depth and realism. Also, while we liked the original felt-lined box, the soft lining sometimes came off on tokens, so we've replaced it with a hard plastic insert with scoop-friendly compartments.
Many of the new tokens require both painting and inking by hand at the factory. We've tried to identify any areas of concern in advance, but it's possible that some issues may not arise until we enter mass production. If they do, we'll work to resolve the issues.
Stonemaier Games has delivered all Kickstarter rewards from 4 projects within a few months of the estimated delivery date, sometimes even early. However, we seek to continue to improve that process to keep shipping rates low, deliver quickly, and ensure that the products arrive in perfect condition.
For 2 of those projects we delivered during the holiday season (Thanksgiving through New Year's), and we're not going to do that again due to the poor treatment of packages by couriers during that holiday rush and the sheer number of people who travel during that time and aren't personally able to receive the package (we highly prefer that backers provide a safe and secure address where someone can receive the package during the day to reduce the chances of theft).
It is for this reason that we've estimated January as the delivery month--it is a conservative estimate that factors in avoiding the holiday season and giving us ample time to get the tokens right.
If you would like to know more about what we learned from our Kickstarter experiences and research, go to www.stonemaiergames.com to see 100+ Kickstarter Lessons to help you create a successful project too.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (15 days)