About this project
Thanks to all Kickstarter backers who built this dystopia! If you discover Euphoria after the project ends, you can order the retail version of the game (not the Kickstarter-exclusive deluxe or supreme versions) on the Stonemaier Games website.
The creators of the successful Kickstarter game, Viticulture, bring you a new dice worker placement game set in a dystopian future. Euphoria incorporates mechanical elements of Alien Frontiers, Tzolk'in, and The Resistance with thematic inspirations from dystopian fiction like The Hunger Games, Fahrenheit 451, Wool, and Brave New World.
- Money-Back Guarantee: If you decide you don't like Euphoria within the first month of receiving it, you can return it for a full refund, no questions asked.
- Early-Bird Discount: There is no "early-bird" pledge level because every copy of Euphoria comes at a steep discount compared to its MSRP of $70.
- We Listen: Our backers have told us they enjoy working with us. We are prompt with addressing any questions or concerns, and value all backer input.
- Kickstarter Backers Come First: Our backers have a special place in our hearts. For Euphoria, that means you'll get your game before limited traditional distribution begins, and we will always be completely honest and transparent with you.
- Because We Need You: We've covered the cost of the graphic design and art for Euphoria, but we can't manufacture and ship the game without your support.
- Kickstarter-Exclusive Stretch Goals: See below for some major stretch goals that will make your copy of the game unique. We're also giving a digital art print of the board art to all backers.
In Euphoria, you lead a team of workers (dice) and recruits (cards) to claim ownership of the dystopian world. You will generate commodities, dig tunnels to infiltrate the opposition, construct markets, collect artifacts, strengthen allegiances, and fulfill secret agendas.
- Dice Represent Worker Knowledge: The number on each die represents a worker’s knowledge--that is, their level of awareness that they're in a dystopia. Worker knowledge enables various bonuses and impacts player interaction. If the collective knowledge of all of your workers gets too high, one of them might desert you.
- Recruits and Allegiances: You have 2 elite recruit cards. One has pledged allegiance to you, but the other needs some convincing. You can reveal and use the reluctant recruit by reaching certain milestones in the game…or by letting other players unwittingly reach those milestones for you.
- Constructing Markets: Players who don't contribute to the construction of markets receive a dystopian-style restriction they must deal with for the rest of the game. Because different markets are available for construction each game, commodities and resources that are valuable in one game might not be worth as much in the next.
- Flow of the Game: There are no rounds and phases in Euphoria, and thus no need to determine the first player on a regular basis or memorize action checklists. On your turn you either place a worker on the board or retrieve workers from the board.
Every dystopia begins with a significant event that changes the world. Starting on May 16 and ending a few weeks later, you voted to decide on the apocalypse that created the world of Euphoria. The resulting story is told in Update #13. The winning scenario inspired the creation of 4 new recruits.
Thanks to the supply chain we set up for Viticulture, we have very cost effective ways of getting your copy of Euphoria to you. We'll explain this for each region:
- United States and Canada (free shipping): We will ship games across the world by boat from China to the US and Canada, a process that takes about 30 days. Those games will then travel by truck to an Amazon fulfillment center (~5 days), from where they will be sent to backers in the US (5-10 days). The total shipping and customs cost per unit is about $12, which we've wrapped into the price of the game on Kickstarter. Note: We're in St. Louis, so Amazon will ship the games for St. Louis backers to us in bulk. We'll have a launch party to get the games into your hands, and we'll deliver games to anyone who can't attend.
- European Union (free shipping): This is exactly the same as the Canada-bound shipment, except this one goes to Amazon.de in Germany. The total shipping and customs cost per unit is about $12, which we've wrapped into the price of the game on Kickstarter. Note: Norway and Switzerland are not in the EU, so backers in those countries should provide a EU shipping address if they want free shipping (family, friends, Poste Restante in Sweden, or a DHL pack station in the EU).
- Any country not in the EU nor the US/Canada: It's quite expensive and time consuming to ship individual packages to South America, Mexico, non-EU Eastern Europe, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, etc. Sending 2 or 3 games per package via USPS is the only way to maintain a somewhat reasonable cost per unit for these international backers. We will mark these games as "Kickstarter rewards" on the customs forms using the manufacturing cost as the commercial value of the game. (Note: If you really don't want two copies of the game, you can order a single copy and add $45 for international shipping.)
- Asia/Australia/NZ (bulk pledge level only; free shipping): Our manufacturer has graciously offered to send a limited number of shipments directly from China to backers in Asia, Australia, and New Zealand (hence why these backers will get the games earlier than the rest of the world). This is only cost-effective if we send at least 10 games to each location. Hence the only pledge level available to backers in Asia, Australia, and NZ is the $490 pledge level for 10 games each. If you are an individual in those regions who only wants 1 game, you can put your name and contact info on this Google spreadsheet so people who have arranged a group buy in your country can reach out to you.
- UPDATE: We have added a $499 level for 10 copies of the game sent anywhere in the world. The key difference is that they games will be come to the US via boat, be trucked to a facility, and then packed, shipped, and sent to you. So unlike the Pacific level, you won't get the games until December. It's the best we can do!
- UPDATE (CHINA): Backers in mainland China may pledge to the DELUXE or SUPREME reward levels and receive the game directly from our shipping partner in China at no extra shipping charge.
A few notes about some of the less self-explanatory reward levels:
- SUPREME: The 24 extra dice (4 in each color) and the 44 extra recruit cards with sketched faces will be included in the game box with 1 blank card (in addition to the full Euphoria deluxe game) by the manufacturer and thus will not be available by themselves. Neither the dice nor the cards are needed for the game (other than the faces, the recruit cards are identical to the other recruits in the game).
- IMMORTAL: There are 36 artifact cards in Euphoria (6 copies of 6 different cards). Your name or any name of your choice will be typeset at the bottom of 1 of those cards in the format, "Discovered by ____________." The maximum character limit of your name is 28 characters (including spaces).
- ADVANCE: Our manufacturer will send us the first few copies off the assembly line via 3-day DHL to review before they start full production. We'll send you one of those games, giving you the chance to play Euphoria months before any other backer. (ALL backers will receive their copies before limited traditional distribution.)
- MODEL: When you pledge to this level, you will select an available recruit card and take a photo of your face in a similar pose as the recruit. We will integrate your likeness into the card, and your first OR last name will be incorporated into the recruit's name.
- BULK: The bulk level includes 10+ copies of Euphoria deluxe (the word "deluxe" is missing from the reward level) shipped anywhere in the world.
- VITICULTURE: The Viticulture levels are limited by the number of copies at various Amazon fulfillment centers worldwide. The levels are for the retail version of Viticulture unless they say otherwise.
- $1 backer toast can be added to any reward if you'd like us to celebrate you, your Kickstarter project, your cat, or pretty much anything you want on camera after the Euphoria campaign is over.
- $10 extra dice and special-edition recruits can be added exactly once per copy of Euphoria deluxe you order. The 24 extra dice (4 in each color) and the 44 extra recruit cards with sketched faces will be included in the game box by the manufacturer and thus will not be available by themselves. Neither the dice nor the cards are needed for the game.
- $49 extra deluxe game can be added to reward levels for an extra copy of Euphoria deluxe. You will need to manually change the $ amount of your pledge (but not the reward level), and after the project is over, you can indicate the number of games you're receiving on the post-project survey.
- $59 extra supreme game can be added to reward levels for an extra copy of Euphoria supreme.
After many months of development, we put Euphoria through a worldwide, three-round playtesting gauntlet (Viticulture backers volunteered to do this) to hone the rules and mechanics. Dozens of Kickstarter backers have also tested the game during the campaign. We've listed all playtesters in the rulebook to show our appreciation for the hugely positive effect they've had on the game.
We've put a significant amount of our time and personal funds into making Euphoria a polished, production-ready game. With a successful Kickstarter campaign, we'll send the final files to Panda Games in June and aim for pre-Christmas delivery to all backers.
We love our FLGS here at Stonemaier Games, and we know that some retailers want to stock the full Kickstarter version of the game with all stretch goals at distributor pricing. If you're a retailer, please contact Jamey directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
"Thanks Jamey, for updating us regularly on the progression of Viticulture. I have backed numerous KS campaigns, and I can confidently say that Stonemaier Games has set a wonderful benchmark for post-campaign supporter service!" --Mark Chen, comment on project update
"Next week or so? Holy yes!!! See, now THIS is how you run a campaign and engender brand loyalty." --Shane Charleston, after learning that Viticulture backers in Asia and Australia would receive their games a month earlier than promised (all other backers will receive their games on schedule in May)
"The [Viticulture] bits are great! Tons of different shapes for each different building type. I love cool bits, but in a mediocre game they do not save it. Thankfully, this game needs no saving. I am a huge fan of worker placement games in general, and this one is no different, in fact it is in a lot of ways superior to many I have played before." --Heather Walters, BGG review
"Stonemaier’s work [for Viticulture] is all-around excellent, Alan and Jamey and their design team pulled off a really top-notch production, a game that’s enjoyable, deep and has high replay value." --Jeremy Loscheider, BGG review
Risks and challenges
Viticulture enabled us to form a game company called Stonemaier Games. It's a dream come true to design and publish board games, and we're incredibly excited to have the chance to continue to bring memorable moments to tabletops around the world.
Thanks to our experience with Viticulture, we know exactly what goes into creating a high-quality game and delivering it on time. Stonemaier Games now has a worldwide supply chain set up to ensure punctual and cost-effective delivery to backers in almost every country. We're still learning, but we're not inventing the wheel this time around. We're also working with the same manufacturer again (Panda GM), so we know exactly what they need to produce quality product on schedule.
Because of Euphoria's success, we will be dealing with a much larger-scale project than Viticulture. This will be a learning process with shipping and distribution, but we have confidence in our shipping company and in Amazon.
Stonemaier Games established an advisory board of industry veterans in January '13 to help us mitigate risks and challenges. So even though we will surely face new challenges in the future, we have an incredible team of experienced advisors to point us in the right direction.
If you would like to know more about what we learned from our first Kickstarter experience, go to www.stonemaiergames.com to see 30+ Kickstarter Lessons to help you create a successful project too.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
We’ve invested over $11,000 into the art and graphic design for Euphoria, so the $15,000 funding goal is purely for manufacturing and shipping costs (and Kickstarter fees).
As of 6/12, we’ve actually delivered Viticulture to all backers except a few that needed their games signed. Also, we want to deliver Euphoria before Christmas. To guarantee that, we needed to finish the campaign by mid-June. UPDATE 5/29: Viticulture has been shipped to all US backers and is processing/shipping at Amazon.de for the EU backers. Canadian backers will also receive their games very soon.
Add-ons include the $1 backer toast, $10 for exactly one set of 24 extra dice per game and the "sketched" recruit cards ("supreme"), and $49 for extra copies of Euphoria.
We’re keeping things simple across the board this time by making all games the same price. We think that $49 is a fair price for the amount of stuff that goes into the Euphoria box (not just components, but art and design as well)—it also includes shipping and customs for most backers.
We’d love to sign your game, but only if we meet you in person. Because of our distribution system, having your game shipped to us to sign and then shipping it to you adds a significant cost that we can’t afford to incur.
Thematically, the recruits are individuals who have sworn allegiance to you. So no, only one person per card.
Yes! We’ve used distinct shapes wherever possible so that the game isn’t color-dependent, and we selected each player’s color based on feedback from colorblind people and a colorblind app.
Kickstarter makes this a bit tricky. You’ll need to create a second Kickstarter account to pledge to multiple rewards or to the same limited reward more than once.
We’re honored and flattered that several backers chose those levels in the Viticulture campaign. However, we decided that we don’t want to charge people extra to give us the opportunity to play our games. We love to play our board games, and we hope if we’re ever in your area, you’ll want to play our games with us. There’s no need to pay for the pleasure of our company. We’re not all that interesting.
It’s an original song written and recorded for the Euphoria campaign by Aaron Watson called “Frozen.” You can listen to the full version here: http://soundcloud.com/fallen-flag/frozen-out. It actually has amazing lyrics, but the instrumental version is in the video. Lyrics:
Frozen Out Verse Left for dead, abandoned and in the red What I'd do for a strange bed The last chance that I'm taking On the run What's left here for just one? Euphoric substitution It's not what I had in my mind When it came time to revive Chorus Frozen out and not a chance to make it But that don't mean that I can't try When you're staring at dystopia, yeah Face to face refuse to cry Frozen out and not a sun that's in sight But that don't mean that I can't try When you're staring at dystopia, yeah Face to face refuse to cry Verse Ring them bells Heaven descends into hell All things considered I'm well Since I'm the only one standing What remains amounts to nothing at all Survival answers the call The will to live here is waning I am fading--but I'll push on Chorus
Thanks for asking! Jamey has two cats (Biddy and Walter), and Alan and his wife have two cats, two dogs, and a human child.
Sure! Kind of. Message Jamey to let him know you're interested, and he'll add you to a list (there is a minimum number needed to place an order).
Here's the issue with the dice: They don't fit into the supply chain well at all. Amazon can't ship them for us, so we would have to ship them out ourselves. That may not be a big concern, but shipping by hand takes a LOT of time, and the cost widely varies depending on the country. Also, we like to stay away from reward levels that include part of the game but not all of the game. So what we've done is added a third version of the game to our supply chain that includes an extra set of 24 dice. It's a $10 add on per game to your existing Euphoria pledge.
Will I be able to tell the difference between the deluxe and supreme games by the outside of the box?
They will have different UPCs, so you'll be able to tell them apart. We'll have a note about the final UPCs on www.stonemaiergames.com.
Support this project
- (28 days)