Car Con Carne, "The World's Only BBQ Podcast Recorded In a Car," is ready to hit the road harder and longer than before.
Hosted by Chicago media personality James VanOsdol and voice-over star Mike Bratton, each free biweekly show takes us deeper into American barbecue culture. We visit a new barbecue restaurant each week, with a backseat guest along for the ride.
The shows are exclusively recorded in James's Mazda, because:
- It's a handsome car
- The sound quality is much better there, as opposed to in a restaurant
- We thought it was a cool gimmick
Here are some of the costs we need help with:
THE SMALL-TIME STUFF
Our current bare-bones, basic expenses are:
- Podcast hosting (LibSyn) - $15/month. That cost will go up as the show grows.
- Food - $120/month. We pay for our guests' food, in addition to our own. We accept no comps or freebies, in order to remain impartial in our restaurant reviews.
- Gas - Hard to estimate. Let's say $20/month
At the minimum, we want to be able to cover those costs for the next six months to truly get the show off the ground. Factoring in Kickstarter's cut and credit card fees, that means we need to raise $1000 to hit our base goal of $870.
As we grow, we hope to expand to other states, in some cases doing a string of shows in cities like Memphis or Kansas City. The food amount will certainly go up, and the gas amount will go up big-time (as will the wear-and-tear on James's Mazda).
THE BIG-TIME STUFF
With additional funds, we can better invest in the show's quality, sound and future. On our list:
Audio equipment. We're using cheap lav mics now, along with a fairly old Zoom mixing console that tears through battery power. Shotgun mics and a more modern console will cost us between 1500-2000.
- Web design. Not that there's anything wrong with our free templated Wordpress site, but it would be great to have something that's truly ours. We know lots of web designers who'd love to make a Car Con Carne website come alive. We'd expect those costs to come in somewhere in the low-ish four figures.
- Podcast hosting. As mentioned above, this cost will go up. Probably sooner than later.
- A wrapped vehicle. Maybe a used "short bus?" Okay, this is totally fantasy stuff here. But aim high, we suppose.
- ...or maybe we just invest in a magnet we can slap on James's current car.
- Advertising. We have some ideas about where to target our efforts, but that takes money.
Should we surpass our funding goal, we want everyone to benefit.
We're currently brainstorming cool Stretch Goals, starting at the $2K mark. We'll fill them in here, as the days progress.
Risks and challenges
Risks? The only risk we run is missing one or two of our biweekly shows due to illness or unforeseen circumstance. We've made a commitment do bang out 26 shows a year, and are staying true to that goal.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (21 days)