About this project
WHO'S WRITING ABOUT ROCKING
INNOVATIVE ROCKING STOOL
- DESIGN - We eliminated all complexity, resulting in a minimal form that is beautiful because of its elegant simplicity.
- SPEED - The stool isn't a pain to put together like other ready-to-assemble furniture. It can be assembled or taken apart in less than a minute.
- SHOW IT OFF - 'This Stool Rocks' is a cool, remarkable product that will be the centerpiece of your room.
- LOCAL - We send a digital file to a maker located near you, they make the stool and send it to you.
THE GIGANTIC VISION
We figured out a way to make ready-to-assemble furniture fundamentally better with options we could never of even dreamed of. Using digital routers, we can send furniture around the world as digital files to be cut in your local area. Adding complexity to the wood joints means you don’t even need screws. It can be faster to assemble.. (say ten seconds for a table) or you can explore that inner geek that loves complexity.
Being digital, You can easily customise the dimensions within the file to fit an awkward corner or the exact size of your apartment. In short, we make furniture just for you.
At architecture school, I discovered the various tools of digital manufacturing and believe they can be put to better use. Many students were designing furniture for these machines as college projects with no place to upload them. The furniture was better designed than anything I saw in the shops, I felt the need to change this system. Several comments so far and press articles start "It's about time..." or "We've been waiting for this to happen..."
LOCAL, LOCAL, LOCAL.
- WHERE: We find makers in YOUR city. Files are downloaded and cut-on-demand in small batches, then delivered right to you.
- The more you share this campaign with your friends, the more sustainable your own product becomes as we can use a maker closer to you.
- DELIVERY TIME: Building up a network of local machines means faster delivery allowed by a shorter, more direct supply chain.
Hard Rock, Soft Rock, Easy Rock and Personalised.
- HARD ROCK: 360° full rotation, needs to lean against wall when left alone as doesn't stand by itself.
- SOFT ROCK: Rocks forward and back.
- EASY ROCK: The most stable stool, rocks forward only.
- PERSONALISED: Have your name or logo carved into your stool. We will ask you to send us information later in the campaign. (Logos will be preferred in vector formats, feel free to ask for help.)
FREE Vs. PAID
- FREE FILES (CC Non-Commercial) - We are happy to share the design file with those who would like to make the stool yourself under a creative commons non-commercial license. Requires knowledge of CAD and access to CNC machines. Download from our site.
- PAID - If you want your stool to be made by the experts that do this everyday, we'll make the stool available for collection or ship it right to you.
FINISHING - Put your personal stamp on it.
- You can varnish your stool to protect it for years to come.
- You can paint your stool as shown in a photo above.
- We will send you plenty of options giving you advice on the two options above as well as more advanced options from decoupage to upholstery.
- Send us your photos and we will publish a gallery of the best work.
HOW THE MONEY WILL BE SPENT
- Money will be spent using CNC machines to cut your stools, buying the raw materials, making packaging and delivering your stool to you.
ROCK TRIVIA - Presidents
- It is rumoured without evidence that Benjamin Franklin invented the rocking chair in the 18th Century.
- President Kennedy enjoyed his rocker so much that he brought it on Air Force One when he traveled around the country and the world. He bought additional rockers for Camp David and the Kennedy estates, and gave them as gifts to friends and heads of state.
- Let us know if you any more interesting facts about rocking chairs, stools and benches.
Interview on 3D Printing and 3D Cutting
Risks and challenges
We have been using 3D cutting machines (CNC wood routers) for the last six years and been working with partner makers to mitigate as many risks as possible. We will always be transparent with the community about challenges, including these:
Ship date: The date will depend on how many stools are ordered, but we hope to be fast!
Product changes: We always appreciate feedback and would love to hear what you think of the project and changes you might suggest.
Delivery Options: To save on delivery costs, we will host a collection party in cities with the most orders so you can collect your stools directly from us. Otherwise, stools will be mailed to you.
Wood Quality: Plywood has a standard system of grading wood, we will only be working with furniture grade high quality wood.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (40 days)