I wanted to buy an audio splitter which let me keep using the microphone on my phone. There was one available, for a while, but it was discontinued.
I think there is a growing need for them because several apps now use the microphone input of smart phones/tablets for other purposes. Making an app which uses the microphone input of the phone with external hardware (like the Square credit card reader) is a great way to keep costs down for companies, and for you.
There should be a way to separate the microphone input and the audio output so you can plug different things into each. Currently there isn't.
The splitter serves several very useful purposes:
- You can use karaoke and voice modification apps in a live setting (plug in to your stereo)
- If you like to use your iPhone to play music in your car, this splitter lets you take a call without fumbling with wires, and you can hear your caller through your stereo. The phone even mutes the music when the call comes in.
- If you run any kind of mobile store (like a food truck) and you want to play your iPod and accept credit card payments at the same time, you can with this splitter.
- You can use a voice recorder to record conversations*
- Anything else that requires separate audio in and out to the device. More will come!
- Also two people can listen to the same iPod/iPad/Computer/DVD player - just like regular splitters. (Great for travel)
*illegal in some states without prior consent
I have a design and a prototype. It's tested and working great, and it's going to be great quality. I had an Industrial Design friend who used to work at Apple help me with it. I just need $2000 to pay for the mold and the initial quantity run.
Here's my website: http://esdevices.com/wiretap
Thank you very much!
- (30 days)