EXTREME EARTH: A DYSTOPIAN SUPERHERO SETTING is a supers campaign setting inspired by the Iron Age of Comic Books as well as recent television shows like HEROES, ALPHAS, and 24. It takes our world and imagines what it would be like if suddenly some people developed Super Talents (i.e. superpowers) in a world that has far fewer natural resources than our own. Then, it adds a layer of paranoia and corruption which affects all levels of society, which in turn leads to conflicts that further expend those limited resources. It blurs the lines between government, corporations, and the media, so every nation, corporation, and individual is out for themselves. It is a dangerous world where combat can be deadly even for those who possess superpowers. The result is a dark, dystopian world that isn't too hard to envision within the realm of possibility.
The EXTREME EARTH campaign setting is written by Joe Bardales with artwork and original concept by Jon Gibbons. There are seven different books for seven different RPG supers systems: the latest versions of BASH!, Bulletproof Blues, Fate Accelerated Edition, ICONS, Mutants and Masterminds, Savage Worlds, and SUPERS! We have assembled a team of conversion experts to make sure each of these different rules systems is properly tailored to fit the EXTREME EARTH setting. It will be published by Fainting Goat Games who have successfully delivered on two previous Kickstarters (STARK CITY CAMPAIGN SETTING AND CITY BUILDING TOOLKIT and IMPROBABLE TALES) and one Indigogo (JUSTICE WHEELS). EXTREME EARTH: A DYSTOPIAN SUPERHERO SETTING will be available from RPGNow in both PDF and full color print-on-demand as a premium edition softcover using high quality paper.
PARENTAL ADVISORY: THIS BOOK CONTAINS SOME MATURE LANGUAGE
EXTREME EARTH: A DYSTOPIAN SUPERHERO SETTING will present information about the history and current state of affairs of this dystopian world, background dossiers on major players and organizations, rules for character creation, campaign advice for game masters to help bring the EXTREME EARTH setting to life, and a full introductory adventure. A full chapter is dedicated to the Department of Federal Investigations Into Super Talents (FIST), the largest, most powerful government agency in the United States today whose influence and reach will be felt in one form or another by every Super Talented character in an EXTREME EARTH campaign. Also included is a pre-generated team of playable characters known as The Wolfpack so you can start playing right away. The EXTREME EARTH campaign setting book will be heavily art intensive with a focus on functional artwork that can be used as player handouts at the gaming table. The book will be approximately 150 pages in length.
Table of Contents
- Chapter One: Welcome to Extreme Earth will introduce you to the Extreme Earth campaign setting. You will learn what Extreme Earth is and how it differs from our own world. We'll look at some of the key tropes and touchstones incorporated into Extreme Earth as well as highlight some of its differences from a typical, more traditional supers campaign setting. Finally, we'll examine the history of Extreme Earth and present an overview of the current state of affairs. Also included is a timeline of important historical events leading up to the present day.
- Chapter Two: Character Creation contains all the information you will need to create a character to play in an Extreme Earth campaign. Suggestions are given for developing your character concept including example backgrounds and motivations. Next, all the different ways a character can acquire Super Talents (their special powers and abilities) are discussed. Finally, rules and guidelines for character creation and game play are presented specific to the supers roleplaying game system you will be using with Extreme Earth. And if you want to get started playing right away, in the next chapter we've included the Wolfpack, a team of five pre-generated player characters (PCs) built using these same rules for character creation and suitable for campaign play.
- Chapter Three: FIST will provide information about the Department of Federal Investigations into Super Talents (FIST), the most powerful government agency in the world today. We will explore FIST's history and current state of affairs, examine its leadership and command structure, and learn about the different types of FIST agents operating in the field. Next, we will present two different teams of FIST operatives: America's premier team of Super Talented heroes known as the Guardians, and the Wolfpack, a covert black ops team of pre-generated, fully playable characters built using the character creation rules found in Chapter 2. Finally, we look at two of the most important divisions of FIST: the research and applied science division known as SCOPE (SCientific OPErations), and Crownpoint Supermax Federal Penitentiary, a secure dumping ground for the worst Super Talented offenders affectionately nicknamed “The Pit”. Example NPCs (non-player characters) are included throughout.
- Chapter Four: Extreme Adventuring is a resource for running a campaign set on Extreme Earth and is intended for game masters (GMs) only. This chapter is designed to provoke ideas for missions with adventure seeds scattered throughout. It will present several campaign models to appeal to different preferences and styles of play. MANTIS and the Pantheon, two antagonist organizations that have long been a thorn in FIST's side, are introduced along with their goals and agendas followed by briefings on several other international organizations whose paths the players might cross. Also included is a full introductory adventure, Merchants of War.
- CITIZEN OF EXTREME EARTH: Included at this backer reward level and above will be a separate, full color, PDF ART PACK containing all of the artwork within the EXTREME EARTH campaign setting book in its own dedicated art book to enable GMs to print with ease and to use as handouts at the gaming table.
- AGENT OF FIST: A backer at this level receives a limited edition 8.5" x 11" print on high quality photo paper, personalized and signed by EXTREME EARTH artist Jon Gibbons.
- WANTED BY FIST: A backer at this level receives a single character illustration by Jon Gibbons done in the style of a FIST wanted poster (head and shoulders shot with brief character description and list of crimes committed) as an 8.5" x 11" print on high quality photo paper, personalized and signed by the artist.
- EXTREME CHARACTER: At this backer level, Jon Gibbons will illustrate an Extreme Earth character of your own design. Your character will be fully developed (including background and game stats) and will be incorporated into a future EXTREME EARTH supplement. You will also receive a full color 8.5" x 11" signed and personalized print of your character.
- ALTERNATE REALITY : At this backer level, you get a full color character illustration by artist Jon Gibbons of a single character of your choosing for any genre or any game system. You also receive a full color 8.5" x 11" signed and personalized print of your character.
Here's a summary of all the EXTREME EARTH Kickstarter pledge levels. Starting at the FIST HEAVY HITTER LEVEL, we offer a single copy of the print-on-demand book in the rule system of your choice. International backers outside the United States please add $15 US for shipping for print-on-demand books. Thank you for you time and interest in EXTREME EARTH, and we hope you will consider backing our Kickstarter!
All backers at the CITIZEN OF EXTREME EARTH pledge level and above will receive PDF copies of the following stretch goals as they become unlocked:
$8,500: If this stretch goal is achieved, you will receive a PDF copy of the premier issue of the BLACKLIST FILES for the rules system of your choice. Each issue of the BLACKLIST FILES will feature a brand new EXTREME EARTH NPC from FIST's Most Wanted List, fully detailed with a complete background dossier by Joe Bardales and illustrated in full color by Jon Gibbons. This premier issue will feature Peter Chobrak AKA Ajax!
$9,500: If this stretch goal is unlocked, you will receive a PDF copy of the second exciting issue of the BLACKLIST FILES for the rules system of your choice!
$10,500: If this stretch goal is unlocked, you will receive a PDF copy of the third thrilling issue of the BLACKLIST FILES for the rules system of your choice!
Stay tuned for more possible stretch goals!
The EXTREME EARTH Development Team
Artwork and Original Concept: Jon Gibbons
Author: Joe Bardales
Project Manager/Publisher: Mike Lafferty (Fainting Goat Games)
Introductory Adventure Merchants of War: Adrian Smith
RPG System Converters
BASH!: Ben Norman
Bulletproof Blues: Brandon Blackmoor (Kalos Comics)
Fate Accelerated Edition: Stacey Montgomery
ICONS: Joe Bardales
Mutants & Masterminds: Steve Perrin
Mutants & Masterminds: Adrian Smith
Savage Worlds: Tom Bisbee
SUPERS!: Walt Robillard (HAZARD Studio)
Risks and challenges
Challenges: When we set out to create EXTREME EARTH: A DYSTOPIAN SUPERHERO SETTING over a year ago, we chose to produce the book for not one but seven(!) different superhero RPG rule systems. That means seven different books, albeit with a lot of overlap, each with their own special needs and attention required. At first glance, that sounds insane, right? What were we thinking?
We've addressed this issue from the very beginning starting with the selection of our conversion team, each an expert at the rule system they were chosen to oversee. Building on our successful experience with the STARK CITY Kickstarter, we once again created a shared Wiki so that all members of the development team could literally be on the same page. Along the way, each member of the development team has contributed personally to making every version of the book flow seamlessly with the shared text and artwork. In short, our approach has focused on integrating each rule system into the book, not slapping it on as an afterthought.
Reputation is important - that's why we've partnered with Mike Lafferty and Fainting Goat Games who have an exemplary record with fulfilling their Kickstarter responsibilities. Mike knows the RPG business from experience, and has been our point man for coordinating all the pieces and people involved in producing this book from the very beginning, and will continue to guide us through production and delivery as well. Our reputations are important to every single one of us on the development team, and that has been the driving force behind our commitment to this project and seeing it through to completion.
Potential Risks: Our goal is to deliver a quality product on time as advertised. The superhero RPG rule system conversions are finished, the book is mostly written, and the artwork for the book is nearly complete. We are in the process of editing the book and then moving to layout. With seven different versions of the book, however, there is the potential for possible delivery delays due to unforeseen circumstances. It is possible that we may need to tweak things with the printer to make sure the book looks as good as artwork of this caliber deserves. We also want to make sure that you, the backers, get the exact rule system book(s) and other backer rewards you chose sent to your current address, so we want to be especially careful in our fulfillment process. We already expect fulfillment to be slightly more complicated and detailed than the usual, so we want you to know we are aware of this and are preparing for dealing with it now by identifying exactly what information we will need to get from each backer.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (45 days)