What you'll get
You'll get a really cool multimedia eBook, available for tablets and browsers. Whether you're a nautical newbie or an experienced racing sailor, I guarantee you'll enjoy this eBook!
Why Cup Experience is different
Plenty of people do "news" and do it well. Not me. I do background and explanations. The America's Cup has something for everyone: world class sports competition, high tech design, lifestyles of the rich and famous, courtroom battles, spies and saboteurs, tycoons and their egos... and it's been going on for 160 years. I'm a complete junkie for all of this and I love to explain it to people. Whether you want "America's Cup 101" or a deep dive into the details, I'm your man.
This eBook will focus mostly on the 19 races in the 2013 America's Cup and how Oracle Team USA fought off eight match points, and came back from being down 1-8. The story includes technology, tactics and teamwork.
Your personal guide to the America's Cup, from an AC geek insider.
After getting hired in 2004 by Swiss defender "Alinghi" to run their fan club, I became immersed in the history, technology and racing. That includes the tycoons, lawyers, spies, saboteurs and cheats. And, oh yes, the sailors and the the incredible yachts! I've been the expert commentator for the VIP guests of three teams: Alinghi and Shosholoza in 2007, Alinghi again in 2010 and Artemis in 2013. I love to explain this stuff, and it seems that people enjoy my explanations.
What will be in the eBook?
- Key moments from all 19 races.
- Changes Oracle Team USA made to come back from 8-1 down.
- Design differences between the US and New Zealand boats.
- LiveLine technology: augmented reality for TV; data driven umpiring workstations.
- The other challengers: Artemis and Luna Rossa.
- The AC72 catamaran design challenges.
- The wingsail: how to trim it to manage the power.
- Hydrofoiling: controlling the daggerboards.
- The controversies: "ruddergate" and the AC45 cheating scandal.
Only $17,000 ? What if we raise more?
Wow. Don't worry about what we'll do if we raise more money. Cup Experience offered a free iPhone and Android app using the LiveLine data from ACTV. Our iPhone app was shut down to save ongoing expenses. The apps allowed users to watch the races in real time. I would like nothing more than to relaunch the apps and to upgrade them to do replays. You can see replays of all the races on the Cup Experience website on my Race Viewer. But even there, I want to add more features.
And, with more money, I can add more articles to the eBook:
- All 19 pre-starts.
- All the protests and penalties.
- More team info: sailors, designers.
- Are AC72's traditional America's Cup yachts? Hint: we'll take a look at Herreshoff's 1876 catamaran "Amaryllis" and his multiple America's Cup winners, from 1893 to 1920.
And, since the rewards allow you to tell me what you want me to write about, you can help me decide what to do with the money we raise.
Risks and challenges
It's just me. I do the research, the Photoshop markup, the voice overs, the Camtasia video editing... everything. And I get so wrapped up doing the research and planning the content I want to share with you, that... well, sometimes it takes a while to get it all done. But if this project gets funded, I promise you will like the final product!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (32 days)