About this project
Quiplash is the newest console and PC comedy party game from us, Jackbox Games, the same folks who brought you Fibbage, Drawful, and YOU DON’T KNOW JACK.
The game is super-simple. Use your phone or tablet to answer simple prompts like “Something you’d be surprised to see a donkey do” or “A good catchphrase to yell every time you finish pooping.”
Your answer will then be pitted against another player’s answer in a head-to-head clash of cleverness and comedy – or maybe just a battle of “Which answer is least stupid?”
Other players – and even an audience of people waiting to get in the next game – then vote for their favorite answer. That’s right, in Quiplash, if you have viewers or extra players who can’t fit in the 8-player game, they can still participate by voting and actually affect the outcome!
Wait? Did we say use your phone or tablet? Yes, we did. Like in our recent release, The Jackbox Party Pack (http://jackboxgames.com/project/jbpp/), all of our games use phones, tablets, or any internet-connected devices as controllers. Quiplash is no exception! With this capability there's no need to own four or more $60 console controllers to have a party.
Additional game details:
- Number of Players: 3-8 players with a possible audience participation in the hundreds or even thousands.
- Launch Platforms: Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, and PC via Steam
- Launch Territories: Console: North America (ESRB rated territories), PC Steam: Worldwide
- Timing: If all goes well, Early Summer 2015
We are a small team, and with your backing you can help us bring on some very talented folks we've worked with before in order to help make this game a reality.
A big thank you! We met our goal in a day and a half! As a result, we’ve decided we’ll be adding support for DLC within Quiplash (DLC release plans TBA). And, we’ve added some stretch goals:
- @ $25,000 we’ll add a Family-Friendly switch which, when enabled, will filter out some of the more inappropriate prompts from the available pool.
- @ $35,000 we’ll add a Mac version of the game for release on Steam.
- @ $40,000 anyone who pledged at $20 or higher will also get a downloadable copy of the ORIGINAL You Don’t Hear Jack release.
- @ $65,000 anyone who pledged at $20 or higher will also get a code for the first DLC pack.
We’ve also added a couple new Reward Tiers
- $250 donation (limit of 15): You can submit 1 prompt (like “An inappropriate thing to do at a cemetery”) to be included in the first Quiplash DLC expansion pack!
- $1000 donation (limit of 1): You get Evan’s sweater from our video – an XL Pendleton Tan Full Button Sweater.
Risks and challenges
Quiplash may seem like a simple party game, but it's complicated by multiple platforms and lots of server technology.
- We have ambitious goals to expand the capabilities of our server-based systems and allow more active participants in our games than ever before. There are many hardware and software technologies at play in this complicated system and as we modify our architecture, unexpected challenges may present themselves. In a worst-case scenario we could launch Quiplash with support for fewer than anticipated "audience participants" per game, but the good news is that if there are complications we can always continue to evolve this server back-end for additional player support after launch.
- Unlike other video games found on Kickstarter which launch on PC first (or only) we're bringing Quiplash to console platforms as well. There are rigorous submission and approval processes with each different console and depending on our experience through those approval processes, our intended launch could be delayed.
- There is a lot of content for us to create. We're aiming for hundreds and hundreds of prompts in the game and we need to write, edit, and record all of that content in a short period of time. Thankfully, we have lots of experience doing this (i.e. YOU DON'T KNOW JACK, Fibbage, Drawful) and with your backing we can ramp up the resources we need.
We're excited to get Quiplash in your hands and we're confident you'll have tons of fun with the game when we launch it. So please support Quiplash, spread the news, and join us on our journey!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Maybe if we hit our stretch goal of $1,000,000 we'll find a way to get SlapFace in your hands.
If you'd like more than one download code for Quiplash -- for example if you want both a Steam code and a PS4 code, or if you want an extra code to give to a friend -- contribute at the $10 reward level, but add an additional $10 for every additional download code you would like.
No, Quiplash will be a game all it's own. It will be a separate download from The Jackbox Party Pack completely.
I know that Quiplash will be released in June, but what about other rewords like You Don't Hear Jack and the Jackbox Party Pack?
We are planning to deliver other backer rewards before the game is released in June, but realistically it will probably be 3-4 weeks after the kickstarter ends since we will need to send out surveys, gather information, request the appropriate codes, and send everything out.
Support this project
- (28 days)