Board an enemy star ship, loot and plunder, complete your objectives and survive!
Take on the role a fierce band of space pirates who have boarded an enemy vessel, set on accomplishing your mission while each pirate also has their own secret goal to fulfill.
Explore and loot the vessel of its bounty, fend off a seemingly unending wave of enemy defenders and encounter a potentially lethal series of events around every corner; All this while keeping morale high as the clock ticks down to your potential capture.
Be wary of the possible traitor lurking among you, out for personal glory at the expense of the rest of the crew!
Will you make it off the ship with all of your goals accomplished and your crew intact? Find out in Into the Black: Boarding Party!
- Quick Player Turns - With 2 actions per turn it will be your turn again in no time!
- Re-playable - 10+ player boards,14 personal goals, 7 primary missions and a completely modular game board mean no two games are likely to be quite the same!
- Semi Cooperative - Players must work together to complete the primary mission while also dealing with their own personal goal, complete with the possibility of a traitor in your midst!
- No Player Elimination - Everyone is in the game to the end!
- Solo Play Integrated - With a complete enemy AI system, Into the Black: Boarding Party is fully playable solo, by design!
- The first in a SERIES of Games - Into the Black: Boarding Party is the first in a series of games in the Game of Space Piracy world, with a prequel and a sequel game currently in development!
- FOR A VIDEO OVERVIEW OF GAME PLAY, CHECK OUT THE UNFILTERED GAMER'S REVIEW BELOW! (Game Play begins at 2:20 and goes to 10:15)
Each player selects a Player Board to represent the crew member they are playing, equips that character and selects their secret personal goal, one of which may be a Traitor!
A Primary Mission is then selected, for the entire group to complete.
Place the Airlock and initial set of corridors and rooms tiles and you are ready to play!
- Players take turns determined by the leadership value on their player board.
- Take up to two actions on your turn.
- Each player board has its own special abilities to utilize!
- Any time a player moves in to a new room that tile is flipped face up and a number of events cards are drawn and resolved.
- Any time a player encounters enemies their turn ends and they will enter combat at the end of the round.
- At the end of each full round the Apprehension Track is moved up, new corridors and rooms are placed and the enemy defenders will move about the ship seeking out the intruders!
To win, as a group you must meet the requirements of the Primary Mission AND each player must meet the requirements of their own personal goal.
Just like the cold, dark emptiness of outer space, Into the Black: Boarding Party is harsh and unforgiving;
- If, at any time during the game, the apprehension track reaches 24, morale reaches zero or there are no more character boards left to select from the game ends in a loss for all of the players.
- If, at any time during the game, the traitor completes and plays their personal goal, the traitor has won the game and all other players have lost!
STRETCH GOALS List
- FUNDED - CA$11,500 - Into the Black: Boarding Party will be fulfilled!
- UNLOCKED - CA$12,500 - Card and Mat Upgrade - All cards and player mats upgraded to 305gsm blue core
- UNLOCKED - CA$13,000 - Player Boards - Player Mats upgraded to 2mm thick Player Boards
- UNLOCKED - CA$13,500 - Player Board - The Turncoat (KS Promo)
- UNLOCKED - CA$14,250 - Linen Finish Card Upgrade
- UNLOCKED - CA$15,000 - Custom Shaped Player Meeples
- UNLOCKED - CA$15,500 - 5-6 Player Expansion
- UNLOCKED - CA$16,000 - "INFESTATION", a new Fully Cooperative Scenario style Primary Mission (KS Promo)
- UNLOCKED - CA$16,500 - Standees Included in every game (in addition to the custom meeples) (KS Promo)
- UNLOCKED - CA$17,000 - Player Board - The Bounty Hunter (KS Promo)
- UNLOCKED - CA$17,750 - Spot UV Box Art
- UNLOCKED - CA$18,500 - Alternate Bridge Tile (KS Promo)
- UNLOCKED - CA$19,500 - EPIC Encounters Expansion
- UNLOCKED - CA$21,750 - Increased Size on Event Cards (mini -> poker size)
- UNLOCKED - CA$24,500 - Custom Plastic Insert
- UNLOCKED - CA$26,500 - More Loot! 16 new loot cards
- UNLOCKED - CA$28,500 - Events a-plenty - 8 new event cards
- UNLOCKED - CA$29,500 - Player Board - Space Dog & Cat Minions (KS Promo)
- UNLOCKED - CA$32,500 - Player Board - Ally of Convenience (KS Promo)
- (LOCKED) - $35,000 - Player Board Cutouts (to fit cards and cubes)
Into the Black: Boarding Party "Increased Crew" 5 to 6 Player Expansion
When it comes to boarding unknown star ships it really helps to bring even more friends! Increase your boarding party, and chances of survival!
Into the Black: Boarding Party EPIC Encounters Expansion
Just when you thought you had this; that this boarding was like a walk in the park, suddenly you can feel something ominous approaching. Who, or what, could it be? Will it be friend or foe? Face fearsome enemies or earn their favor and loyalty. Collect epic loot to improve your chances of survival and fame.
Unfiltered Gamer Review (including How to Play from 2:20 to 10:15)
Board Deck and Dice provides an overview and thoughts
The Gaming Knights play and preview Into the Black: Boarding Party
Board Game Barrage video Preview with designer James J Campbell
"The theme of Pirates in Space is a nice mix. We have all dreamt of being either a Pirate (thanks to a certain Captain Jack Sparrow) or having adventures in Space (Thanks Picard, Buck Rogers, Kirk et al). Here is your chance to blend both together and when you immerse yourself into the characters. Who are wonderfully illustrated on the character cards. You will have a blast." - BGE Collective/Mawihtec's Board Game Reviews
"Searching through the unknown is a big part of this game and, fortunately, one I like. Throughout the game, tiles are continually added to expand the star ship in which the pirates lurk." - Everything Board Games
"This is a fun game with a creative setting. On the grand scale, it is moderately complex and requires a read through of the rules before sitting down to play." - A Pawns Perspective
"This semi-cooperative space pirate dungeon crawler is refreshingly unique and worth a look. The goal of this game is to board enemy ships, loot, plunder, complete objectives, and survive. If you are itching to get your Kickstarter fix and back something truly distinct, give this game a shot." - Frank Grip, The Purple Pawn
"Full of surprises as the ship progresses, as well as those brought about by personal objectives. It does not suffer from any repetitiveness, while benefiting from a strong cooperative aspect." - INOD (French Language Review)
"I got a chance to play Into the Black and I had a blast with it! It's definitely going to be one of my favorite games as I LOVE modular exploration games. I can see so much potential here for variants or expansions. It's just WONDERFUL!" - The Kentucky Bored Gamer
Shipping fees will be collected with your pledge so you will have no surprise expenses after the campaign ends!
We are subsidizing the cost of shipping for every pledge! How much you will pay for shipping above the amount subsidized is shown in this table;
- Pledges to the EU will ship from within the EU, VAT/Duty Free.
- Pledges to North America will ship from I Will Never Grow Up Games in Canada.
- To keep costs low, shipments will not have tracking.
- All listed prices are in CA$
So, why should you back this game on Kickstarter?
- Generous Savings - You SAVE approximately 20% over Retail!
- Bundled Deal - Go in with a group and save more!
- Stretch Goals - Higher funding = Higher Quality + More content for the same great price!
- Promo Content - You'll get all Kickstarter Promo items without paying extra for them at Retail!
But most importantly, Kickstarter allows us to manufacture this game, with all of its stretch goals and add-ons at a higher quantity and quality than would otherwise be possible. It's as simple as that!
We welcome and support retail!
Verifiable retailers who wish to stock Into the Black: Boarding Party can pledge at the "Treasure Chest" Retail pledge level for quantities of 3, 6, 9 or 11+1 copies (11+1 copy pledges include 1 free demo copy). Please DO NOT PLEDGE before contacting us for details.
Within 30 days of the campaign closing we will contact you by private message to discuss how many copies of Into the Black: Boarding Party you wish to stock and your total amount.
Your pledge through Kickstarter is a commitment deposit with the full balance due immediately prior to shipping of product.
You will be required to verify that you are a retailer in order to proceed with this pledge.
Retail pledges receive the base game, with all stretch goals and will ship out at the same time as other backers pledges (a full 2+ months before any other retail or distribution will receive any copies).
Shipping is included for retail pledges of 3 or more copies.
- Follow Into the Black on Facebook,
- Become a fan of Into the Black on BoardGameGeek and join in the conversation.
Last, but definitely not least, let's not forget our play testers! You spent hundreds of tireless hours playing and breaking this game in order to help us make it what it is today!
Risks and challenges
The publication of a board game is a highly involved process. It can be prone to many mistakes and delays, even for experienced publishers.
To mitigate these mistakes and delays;
We have done significant pre-production. This includes having nearly all of the illustrations for the game complete and the graphic art over 90% complete. We continue to work with our illustrators throughout the campaign to finish those final bits and pieces.
The production quote is in hand and ready to be initiated. We are working with an experienced manufacturing partner that we have nearly a decades long relationship with. We are familiar with their production requirements, timelines, payment schedules, communication methods and Chinese freight arrangements and costs for when it comes time for shipping.
We have chosen a reputable fulfillment company that is experienced in fulfilling Kickstarter funded games and will make use of their services when the time comes!
When Into the Black: Boarding Party is funded, it will be produced and delivered in a timely manner. Some stretch goals may increase production time slightly but the majority of the pre-manufacturing work has already been completed.
Yes, things like manufacturing delays can happen, but we have a buffer built into our schedule to reasonably account for these types of delays.
You are in good hands! Thank you for putting your faith in us!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)