MagSkin: A relatively thin skin for your iPhone 4/4S with an integrated high energy magnet backing to cling to metal surfaces.
Cult of Mac: "I love this idea"
Ubergizmo: "one worth taking a look at"
iPhone Hacks: "cool new magnetic iPhone back"
CNET: "wouldn't look anywhere near as cool as Weyer's"
AppAdvice: "been using prototype versions of both products for a few days now, and there’s just something very satisfying about slapping my iPhone on the fridge while I’m in the kitchen cooking and tossing it onto the file cabinet when I’m getting down to business"
MagSkin: A Thin Magnetic Backing For Your iPhone 4/4S
Shortly after my wife and I each got the iPhone 4, she decided to order an iPhone skin to make her smartphone stand out from the crowd. It wasn't too long before I noticed the pile of electronic devices along with their cords on the counter. A few months back I took scissors to a small piece of adhesive magnetic sheeting to make myself a magnetic iPhone to get out of the counter mess.
Below is the temperature sensitive MagSkin:
Here are a few shots of the color changing purple/blue/green snakeskin MagSkin:
Later a few of my friends told me that the magnetic backing on the iPhone was a neat idea and asked me to make them one, then I decided to try and expand on this possiblity. Assuming that few would want to show off the boring magnet backing, I decided that a stronger magnetic sheet would be necessary.
Say hello to MagSkin (www.MagSkin.com)
MagSkin is an adhesive skin that can be applied to your iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S to fully support the weight of the smartphone when placed vertically against a refrigerator or other ferrous metal. MagSkin includes access for the rear facing camera and flash. Overall, the MagSkin backing is less 1 millimeter in thickness with an added custom outer vinyl sheet.
The MagSkin stays put with pressure sensitive adhesive that removes easily and cleanly from the back of the iPhone. This skin is like many other non-magnetic skins for the iPhone, and can easily be reapplied and adjusted to get the skin aligned correctly.
The MagSkin is less than 1 millimeter thin and will accommodate many iPhone 4/4S cases available:
Say hello to MagDock
We have added something else for backers, for each MagSkin reward you will also receive two (2) MagDocks for your MagSkin.
The MagDock is simply another magnetic backing which can be placed on flat objects which are not made of metal. This will allow you to take advantage of your MagSkin in many more places, it will "dock" to:
- Most all flat non-ferrous surfaces
This will allow to uses your MagSkin in other places besides objects made of metal.
Why I need your backing
With the aid of an etching tool, I was able to create about a dozen prototypes with the 30 mil thickness high strength magnetic sheeting by hand. This process is time consuming, taking about 30 minutes for each MagSkin. A laser cutting machine is quite expensive for cutting this material thickness with speed and accuracy.
The $25,000 goal was calculated to ensure funds are available to attain a high quality laser cutting machine and to provide adequate rewards for supporters on Kickstarter.
Early Bird Bonuses:
PLEDGE $9 OR MORE: Early Bird Special! Get a MagSkin. This level doesn't get a color choice, it is going to either be black snakeskin or black carbon fiber. FREE shipping within the US. Please add $3 for international shipping.
PLEDGE $25 OR MORE: Early Bird Special! Get two (2) MagSkins. Choose from any of the MagSkin colors including the shade shifters and heat sensitive skin. FREE shipping within the US. Please add $3 for international shipping.
- Silver Carbon Fiber
- Green Carbon Fiber
- Orange Carbon Fiber
- Pink Carbon Fiber
- Red Carbon Fiber
- Blue Carbon Fiber
- Purple Carbon Fiber
- Black Carbon Fiber ($13 early bird choice)
- Black Snakeskin ($13 early bird choice)
- Purple/Blue Shadeshifter in Carbon Fiber
- Purple/Bluegreen Shadeshifter in Snakeskin
- Heat Sensitive Liquid Crystal Film (Wear shown in video is after 9 months)
Like us on Facebook
We are now offering a 3rd MagDock for FREE if you like this project on Facebook.
That's right, get an extra adhesive MagDock for FREE!
Like us on Facebook after you back this project and we will include one extra clip for FREE to your order when it ships. You can use the extra MagDock in a 3rd car, at the office or for your alarm clock. This additional MagDock will make your new MagSkin even more useful.
- When will the product be delivered? Currently, the lead time for the laser cutting machine sized for this job is approximately 6 weeks. I'm expecting to ship by the end of September. Pledge now to make sure you get yours first!
- How thick is the MagSkin? The thickness of the high energy magnet is 30 mils, the thickness of the outer skin varies from 3 to 7 mils. This brings the overall thickness is under 1 millimeter, adding 10% to the overall thickness of the iPhone with MagSkin installed.
- How much does the MagSkin weigh? At around 10 square inches, the MagSkin weighs is negligible adding less than 10% to the total weight of the iPhone 4/4S
- Is the magnet too strong to remove your iPhone easily? Absolutely not. A force of a couple pounds will break the friction between the MagSkin and the metal surface. My children can remove my iPhone with MagSkin from the refrigerator.
- How strong is the MagSkin? I have tested the MagSkin to support two iPhone (10 ounces) with ease, see the photo below. Theoretically, with the MagSkin surface area it should be able to support 20 to 30 ounces..but is certainly a function the center of gravity cantilever force.
- What if my magnet fails to supported the iPhone? The MagSkin will effectively adhere your iPhone to ferrous metals, materials less dense or mistaken for metal could result in a dropped or broken iPhone. For the yellow car in the video, the doors were not made of (enough) ferrous metal for the iPhone to adhere...be sure to test surfaces before you make the assumption. The MagSkin will protect the back of your iPhone in the event it is dropped and lands on the backing.
- Can I use the MagSkin with my iPhone case? I have tested my Otterbox iPhone case and the small increase in thickness didn't keep my iPhone from fitting in the case. A hard case with tighter tolerances could create issues with form, fit & function. Obviously, the MagSkin will require removal from your iPhone case for the magnetism to be effective.
- What if my MagSkin attracts an overhead aircraft or UFO, making it crash land? Be sure to take a picture of this and send it my way...that would be cool!
MagSkin is Patent Pending
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.