Sub Terra is a fully cooperative survival horror board game. You and up to five friends are cave explorers who have become trapped deep underground. You must quickly explore a tile-based cave system, utilise your character's specialist skills and carefully manage your actions to find the way out before your flashlights die and you're lost in the darkness forever.
You'll need to work together to overcome deadly subterranean hazards - stick together for safety, or split up to cover more ground. One wrong step could knock you unconscious and your friends will need to stage a rescue. Light and hope are scarce. And worst of all, you don't think you're alone down here...
Looking for the Stretch Goal announcements?
Check out the how to play video below (courtesy of Toucan Play that Game), which outlines the game setting, objectives, gameplay and some strategies for attempting your escape!
Sub Terra is a team-based push-your-luck game. Together, you'll decide what risks are worth taking and when. The caves is a dangerous place - no matter how well you plan, things WILL go wrong, and your survival depends on how well you react to unforeseen circumstances.
YOUR OBJECTIVE: Escape the cave before you run out of time.
1) CAVERS: Everyone picks a caver, and gives that caver 3 health points. There are eight characters to choose from in Sub Terra - each has unique abilities that change how they play
2) TILES: Cavers begin the game on the START TILE. You're all trying to get to the EXIT TILE, which is near the bottom of the TILE STACK.
3) ACTIONS: Every round, each caver has two action points to spend (and can risk a health point for a third)
The basic actions are:
- Reveal (Flip the top tile of the stack and place it a gap next to your current location)
- Move (Move to an adjacent connected tile)
- Explore (Reveal a tile, then immediately Move onto it. Faster, but riskier!)
- Heal (You or another caver on your tile regains one health point)
- Run (Move three times)
Together, you must place tiles as quickly as possible while not getting too spread out. Why not run off by yourself? Well…
4) HAZARDS: At the end of each round, resolve the top card of the HAZARD DECK. Each affects a certain type of tile: cavers on those tiles will lose health, and the tile may become harder to traverse. For example, GAS hurts cavers on GAS TILES a medium amount, whereas a FLOOD hurts those on WATER TILES only a little but makes the tile twice as costly to enter in the future.
If you lose all your health points, you fall UNCONSCIOUS - you're unable to take further actions until another caver reaches your tile and HEALS you. If a friend is nearby, this won't take long. If you've strayed too far down a side passage, it might take some time to reach you. Why does that matter? Well…
5) RUNNING OUT OF TIME: When the hazard deck runs out of cards, your flashlights are nearly out of power: instead of resolving a card, each caver has a chance of getting lost in the darkness forever. Turns are precious - time spent rescuing fallen cavers or backtracking through difficult passages is time you'd rather spend uncovering more tiles and getting closer to the exit.
6) HORRORS: You're not alone down here. Some hazard cards can spawn...things...which will relentlessly hunt you down. If they catch you, you'll immediately lose all health points and fall unconscious. If you try to fight them, you will die. RUN.
7) MORE STUFF: Sub Terra also contains: cave-ins, squeezes, ledges, slides, ropes, rough treacherous terrain, tremors, dynamite, cave diving, "geology" and soul-crushing despair
- (soul-crushing despair supplied separately)
Eager to play Sub Terra? Check out all the cool downloadables and interactive Sub Terra content so you can see for yourself how the game works, and feels.
to add them to your pledge
To include an add-on in your pledge, you'll need to click the 'manage pledge' button at the top right of the campaign page (it's green!) and then manually edit the pledge amount up by the amount you want to add to your pledge to include your add-ons. I.e. if you want add-ons that total £20, add £20 to the amount of your base pledge!
If you want to include add-ons when you first make your pledge, then simply manually edit the amount shown when you make the pledge to increase the number to include your add-ons.
Making games can be pretty expensive, but the more we make, each one gets cheaper to produce. Instead of pocketing the extra cash, we, like many other Kickstarter creators, invest that value back into the project to make everyone's games better, bigger, and more terrifying!
Click the graphic below to see all the amazing stuff we've unlocked already!
We're offering EU, US, Canadian, and Australian friendly shipping, meaning no customs duties or taxes to deal with when your game arrives. We handle all that for you, and as it costs us less that way - we can offer even better rates to you!
Behind the fear and anxiety of the world of Sub Terra has been a dedicated team, who together have brought the vision of a beautiful, balanced and challenging survival horror game to fruition. Find out more about them and their ideas for the project below!
- Tim Pinder's Game Designer Profile
- David Franco Campos' Portfolio
- Zak Eidsvoog's Portfolio
- Nassos Apollonatos' Portfolio
- David Thor Fjalarsson's Portfolio
- Peter Blenkharn's Professional Profile
Without the UK Games Expo and the Wyvern’s Lair, ITB would never have found Sub Terra and it may never have seen the light (or darkness…) of day. The Wyvern’s Lair is a Dragon’s Den/Shark Tank style event where a shortlist of game designers present their fresh new ideas to a panel of indie and mainstream publishers. Tim presented Sub Terra at the event at the 2016 UK Games Expo and as soon as the event was over, we offered Tim a publishing deal! Read more here.
An enormous thank you to the legion of official Sub Terra playtesters, as well as the dozens of people that helped us playtest at conventions!
Arun Advani, Rebecca Advani, Greg Albiston, Anna Beck-Thomsen, Simon Bishop, Charlie Cole, Colin Gulliver, Ben Parbury, Jon Pinder, Joyce Pinder, Roger Pinder, Charlie Ringer, Marielle Reuser, Christoph Schlicht, Jenny Walker, Stephanie Wohlgemuth, Peter Blenkharn, Lewis Shaw, Emily Brown, Sophie Colverson, Emily Silcock, Matthew Usher, Vicky Buckley, Tom Ana, Jake Savile-Tucker, Nathan Miller, Bez Shahriari, Caezar Al-Jassar, Andy Grant, John Harrison, Kieran Harvey, Phil Stocks, Dunc Huxley, Ed Huxley, Jeppe Norsker, Anthony Howgego, Bob Nolan, Simon Roadhouse, Lars Backstrom, Erwin Lavens, Rebecca Advani, Cara Viola, Aiko van Wingerden, Jordan Hawker, Angel Giron, Matt Reinsel
Risques et défis
Approximately 95% of the graphic design and illustration work is completed, with any additional work to be completed during the campaign or by two weeks from the end of the campaign. The team is poised!
We're partnering with Whatz games from Shanghai, the team behind Iello's manufacturing, they're fast, reliable and produce high quality games. We're confident they'll produce a box that helps us deliver the Sub Terra experience. I will personally review the blank samples, the pre-production samples, and if the budget permits, visit the factory itself to inspect the production run.
FREIGHT & SHIPPING:
We're working with a specially honed team of fulfillment and shipping experts, in Hong Kong, Shanghai, the UK and elsewhere to ensure that we can offer leading backer shipping rates as well as deliver you your games speedily and in good condition. We're aiming to get a chunk of games once manufactured to the UK Games Expo in June, so we're aiming to get shipping on the go before then. November is our worst case scenario. We may obviously sell copies of the game at the UKGE before some backers get their copy elsewhere in the world. We're hoping that this doesn't happen but we want to be upfront, we can't afford as a small publisher to not take that opportunity.
There's a small chance the darkness will close in on the ITB team and the horrors will catch up to us. If this happens, we may not be able to ship your game, as we'll probably have been eaten. But don't worry because we've got he 'Experienced' ability and we've got a +1 to our skill check rolls.
Période de financement
- (37 jours)