Please help me create a dance school that develops people into amazing dancers and fosters social connection. With your support, we would like to buy mirrors for our dance space, which would aid tremendously with our mission!
Hi! My name is Kentaro and I am passionate about bringing people together through dance.
Two years ago I started teaching beginner salsa classes through MeetUp as a way of meeting people. People from very different backgrounds, nationalities, disabilities and ages were able to come together and dance!
Now we have grown into a thriving community and my next objective is to raise funds to create a real dance school. I hope you'll help and of course we would love to see you in one of our classes or at our social events.
How this project began
I know first-hand how being new to a city can be isolating, especially if this new city is in a different country. While it's an amazing opportunity to open your mind and gain new experiences, it can also be very lonely.
When I first moved to Berlin (I'm from Japan) I started to look for friends who share the same passion. Dancing. I thought that going to a club or dance school could help me to make friends, but in reality it was difficult. Although people look for connection, it usually lasts just one or two dances. It's not easy to make lasting friendships.
I wanted to make it easy.
That's why I started ISM (previously, "International Salsa Meetup") — a dance community in Berlin — people from all over the world come to learn how to dance and end up making friends.
ISM is a dance school and a community of dancers
What makes us unique?
ISM is not only a dance school but a place for breaking down social barriers.
Unlike other dance companies I have encountered, ISM is focused on fostering friendship through social events in addition to our dance courses. This social atmosphere creates a platform to deepen initial connections and increase cross-cultural communication and understanding.
People come to my classes from all over the globe and from all walks of life. It doesn't matter where you come from, your age, gender or sexuality, your abilities or what language you speak.
Our objective is inclusion and everyone is welcome
ISM community and events
Social events are an important part of building our community. More than 1000 people have joined our ISM Facebook community and many more attend our events each year.
ISM hosts weekly bachata and salsa parties in Berlin for students to practice their skills as well as meet new people. We also host special events throughout the year for our community to enjoy. For example, last year we:
- Organized a group trip to see the sites and dance in Hamburg
- Hiked through the beautiful landscape around Dresden
- Visited the German Reichstag building (the German parliament)
- Spent New Year together on a trip to Mallorca
- Raised money for victims of the 2018 tsunami disaster in Japan
This year ISM will be performing at the Berlin Cultural Festival as a dance team with the theme "Inclusion"
The new ISM dance school — how your money will be spent
When I founded ISM I taught my classes wherever I could – in bars, hire studios, and even outdoors. We lacked a proper space where I could seriously train students.
This year I soft launched my dance school in a hired space in Mehringdamm, Berlin. We now offer formal classes from beginner to intermediate and advanced levels.
We teach a range styles – salsa, bachata, kizomba, and my personal favorite, hip hop! We now have 70 of enrolled students and teach 12 classes a week.
Now ISM needs funding to install new equipment – large, movable dance mirrors – so that students will be able to better improve their skills.
We need €3000 to buy five mirrors for our studio space
What ISM offers you
ISM provides dance classes on a weekly schedule at different locations in Berlin. More lessons to come with mirrors!
Social and dance events
You can find news and updates on our social activities and dance events on our Facebook page: ISM Berlin– https://www.facebook.com/ISMDanceStudio/
In return for supporting our Kickstarter campaign, ISM is pleased to provide exclusive offers just for you!
- Pledge €5 or more – Receive a Picnic invitation
- Pledge €10 or more – 1 lesson pass to ISM dance classes
- Pledge €28 or more – 3 lesson pass to ISM dance classes
- Pledge €29 or more – CHANGE PARTNER T-SHIRT
- Pledge €29 or more – ISM Eco-Bag 42cm x 38 cm
- Pledge €45 or more – 5 lesson pass to ISM dance classes
- Pledge €55 or more – ISM Eco-Bag x CHANGE PARTNER T-SHIRT
- Pledge €80 or more – 10 lesson pass to ISM dance classes
- Pledge €199 or more – Kentaro comes to you and teaches you Salsa / Bachata for 5 hours (e.g. 1 hour every week)
- Pledge €499 or more – ISM will host an event at your restaurant or venue. Have dinner with Kentaro to discuss event options and the our community will come to dance and support your business!
- Pledge €499 or more – You can take all ISM dance classes for 6 months.
- Pledge €899 or more – You can take all ISM dance classes for 1 year.
Please read Our terms and conditions.
Help me create a dance school where locals and internationals can find social connection
Your support is greatly appreciated. If you live in Berlin, or you find yourself in this beautiful city, please come and join us!
Risks and challenges
There is a risk that we won't raise enough money for our mirrors, but we'll never stop dancing!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)