About this project
ISA is an all-in-one educational kit for students and instructors in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) programs to learn and teach about sensors (inputs) and actuators (outputs) through interactive hands-on projects.
- No soldering or wiring is required
- No coding is required
- Automatically generates C/C++ codes for Arduino-based microcontrollers
- Comes with software and app
- All sensors and actuators are plug and play so you can easily change them.
- Though LCD screen mounted on the kit.
- Through ISA dashboard which provides an interactive graphical user interface for the user. It functions like an oscilloscope to display signals from the sensors and save the log.
- Via smartphone or tablet.
- One Arduino-based microcontroller
- One ISA Shield (version 3)
- 10 modules: 7 sensors, 2 actuators, and one bluetooth
- 10 extension cables
- One infrared (IR) remote control
- LCD display
- Housing and sensor/actuator mounts
- ISA dashboard (windows-based software)
- User manual which includes over 50 simple and intermediate projects
- ISA kit App for Android smartphone and tablets
- USB cable (to connect ISA kit to your PC)
- 9V to Barrel Jack Adapter + 9V battery (in case you are not using the USB cable)
ISA kit comes in 7 colors: red, green, blue, white, black, yellow, and multi-colors.
A backer survey will be sent out the day after the campaign closes. We will ask for your ISA kit color then.
USA ranked 52nd in the quality of STEM education based on the World Economic Forum. We can do better and we should!
It is very important for our students in STEM programs to have project based classes and hands on experience. With ISA kit and through interactive graphical user interface, students will be more enthusiastic about science, technology, engineering, and mathematics projects.
- Students and teachers who have no knowledge on sensors and actuators
- Students and teachers who have basic knowledge about sensors and actuators but do not know how to develop codes or do wiring
- Students and teachers who have decent knowledge about sensors and actuators and know how to develop codes in C++ and do soldering and wiring but would like to save more time
Start using ISA kit in your STEM projects, save time in coding, soldering, and wiring and spend more time developing creative projects.
The package includes basic, intermediate, and advanced projects for middle school, high school, and college students respectively.
ISA shield 2 is compatible with Arduino Uno and Mega and similar microcontrollers. You can plug in the sensors and actuators as well as the LCD display to the shield via extension cables.
ISA shield 3 is compatible with Arduino Mega and similar microcontrollers. You can plug in the sensors and actuators as well as the LCD display to the shield via extension cables.
Our goal is to support design and manufacturing in the USA. The following parts/items were designed, prototyped, and developed in the state of California:
- All the PCBs (ISA Shields)
- Housing and sensor mounts
- Computer software (ISA dashboard)
- Android App
- Website design and hosting
- Graphic design
However, a few sensors have been imported from other countries and it was inevitable. We have tried and will try our best to support manufacturing in the USA and create more jobs in California and other states of the USA.
Technology developed at the University of California, Irvine and Intelligent Design Technology LLC (Patent pending).
Farzad Ahmadkhanlou, Ph.D., P.E.
President, Intelligent Design Technology LLC
Prof. Gregory Washington
Dean, The Henry Samueli School of Engineering at the University of California, Irvine
Risks and challenges
We have thoroughly tested the ISA kit prototypes and are confident about its performance and functioning. Currently, the ISA dashboard (software) has been developed for Windows OS and the app has been developed for android OS. We will develop the software and app for iOS as well. Our plan is to have the iOS software and app ready by the end of May 2015. It is contingent on successfully reaching our stretch goal in Kickstarter campaign. To the best of our knowledge, this will be the only possible risk and challenge for us.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (30 days)