Death is, truly, the one thing we all have in common. But that doesn't make it easy to talk about.
None of us can agree on what happens after the end comes, or about how much we should think about it beforehand, or even what death should mean to the living. But who says there's anything wrong with that? Not us.
This Iron Circus Comics anthology features a line-up of cartoonists, both new and notable, relating their favorite stories, myths, hopes, and suspicions about death, dying, and even The Great Beyond.
Featuring a foreword from the New York Times bestselling author (Smoke Gets in Your Eyes: And Other Lessons from the Crematory, From Here to Eternity: Traveling the World to Find the Good Death) and founder of death positivism herself, Caitlin Doughty, YouTube's very own Ask a Mortician, YOU DIED upholds the Iron Circus tradition of uniquely intriguing subject matter and artful execution in this frank and honest exploration of what it means to be "death-positive."
We're keeping it simple, because simple is always best with Kickstarters.
$10 gets backers a DRM-free PDF of YOU DIED: An Anthology of the Afterlife.
$20 snags a DRM-free PDF and paperback copy of YOU DIED: An Anthology of the Afterlife.
And JUST 50 BACKERS will get the traditional Iron Circus Comics EARLY BIRD SPECIAL: a DRM-free PDF and paperback copy of YOU DIED: An Anthology of the Afterlife, with FREE DOMESTIC and HALF-PRICE INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING!
Currently slated to appear in YOU DIED:
- Holly Adkins (Agnes and Patsy)
- Ahueonao (Inanna's Descent to the Underworld)
- Oliver Northwood (Ghost Friend)
- Shae Beagle (Herd)
- Luyi Bennett (Here Among the Chrysanthemums)
- S Case (Remember)
- Sally Cantirino & Jordan Alsaqa (The Spark Divine)
- Angela Cole & Cheryl Young (I Promise)
- Dani Colman & Maddie Kathleen (Hive Mind)
- Danielle Emile Varona Chuatico (All Souls' Day)
- Rhandi Fisher (Many Happy Returns!)
- Grace Fong & Rhiannon Rasmussen-Silverstein (BONE INK)
- Casey Gilly & Raina Telgemeier (A Funeral in Foam)
- Ale Green & Fanny Rodriguez (Still Life)
- Karoline Grønvik (Good Mourning)
- A. "Miru" Lee (Third Option)
- Laura Ketcham (Peat, Bone, Oak)
- Juliette GMM López (Wreath)
- James Maddox & Jeremy Lawson (Beyond the Cosmos)
- Isabelle Melancon & Megan Lavey-Heaton (The Ankou)
- Nadia Shammas & Lisa Sterle (You Called to Me)
- M. Cat. White (First Law)
- Letty Wilson (What Eats Us)
- James F. Wright & Jackie Crofts (Okaeri)
This makes for 24 stories, and over 240 pages of comics.
Iron Circus was the first publisher to include Kickstarter-based bonuses as a part of their projects. We're continuing that tradition of rewarding our creators here.
This pre-order event will determine the bonuses of our authors. That bonus is a $5.00 page rate increase every $5,000 the Kickstarter makes over goal. That means the more work an artist has put in, the more they stand to make. This is on top of the page rates they've already earned, and there's no cap on potential pay.
Pre-ordering YOU DIED here on Kickstarter directly benefits the creators and the work you love!
YOU DIED has only one stretch goal: a cover enhancement at $25,000!
We would love to add some gloss or foil to Nick Roble's amazing cover art. But beyond that, we're sticking with what we love to do: pad our creators' payouts.
We have an unprecedented line-up of jaw-dropping talent in YOU DIED. Here's just a small taste of what you can expect!
Kickstarter graphics by C. Spike Trotman and Matt Sheridan. Cover art by Nick Robles. Interior pages by Casey Gilly, Raina Telgemeier, Ahueonao, Karoline Grønvik, Letty Wilson, AND Olivier Northwood.
Risks and challenges
This is Iron Circus Comics' TWENTY-SECOND Kickstarter project. Twenty of our previous projects have been fulfilled and completed, and the twenty-first is currently in progress. Our track record speaks for itself!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (14 days)