My apologies for the relatively lack of communication...the sheer and absolute pressure of a launch, especially one with some bugs to iron out, is absolutely absurd. I'd like to write up the experience, someday, if I can.
In any case, we want to apologize for that, and also for Humble Bundle being a little weird about things. There Came an Echo is *still* not publicly available for purchase for reasons I completely do not understand, but it should absolutely be there for all Kickstarter backers. We've given instructions before, but remember:
1) Your Humble E-mail account MUST be the same as your Kickstarter E-mail, and
2) You need to check under "Claim Past Purchases", which is a section which needs to be expanded by the little plus button.
Another easy way to take care of things is the Humble Key Resender, which should make things easier.
Your order should have both a Steam key and a link to the DRM free version. Unless you're super anti-Steam, you should roll Steam. You'll get more frequent updates, trading cards, achievements, cloud saves, and more.
Most of the bugs have been smoothed out, though we continue to work hard. We'll be up at GDC next week, but we'll still be responding to messages and questions and what have you.
I do sincerely hope you've enjoyed what you've played. We worked for a long, long time to make it happen. If you liked it, be sure to leave a Steam user review, and recommend it to your friends! Tell 'em you helped make it happen.
There Came an Echo is a voice-controlled real-time strategy game, starring Wil Wheaton! Read more
This project was successfully funded on March 21, 2013.
We love Humble, but we hear you: you need your game, and you need it now.
We will be putting up a private link of our game tonight (albeit, late tonight, likely 2 AM Pacific). The file should be around 2 GB. We're trusting you to not share it.
The actual build will be on the Humble Store shortly enough, but we need to get this to you now.
Also, fixes coming tonight for inaccurate microphone volume.
Not sure I've ever been this exhausted. Whew.
A new build has been pushed with a lot of stability updates...hopefully the voice controls should stay much more consistent, and a lot of weird progress blocks may have been taken care of.
We did have to make the hard decision to push back foreign language support (still in this build, but will be removed before 10 AM) for 10 days or so...see this post for details. (http://steamcommunity.com/app/319740/discussions/0/610573009255061379/)
This is the last build we can push out relatively freely...you guys started playing on the 21st with the acknowledgement that there would be bugs, but now, on proper release, we need to test through builds before we push them live in the event that something, somewhere, broke. If you guys are down to play a bit this morning, go for it! Everything *should* be good, and we're going through it ourselves at the moment, but the more, the merrier.
If you still haven't gotten your code, check the previous update for details!
Thanks for sticking with us!
Hey, guys! Working around the clock to smooth everything out...even so, everyone has been *very* positive and supportive. We appreciate everything you guys are doing for us, and it's our fervent hope that you've been enjoying yourselves despite the hitches.
To those who are still having trouble locating their keys at the Humble Store, remember to look under "Claim Past Orders". If your Humble account and your Kickstarter account have differing E-mail addresses, you'll need to follow these instructions (thanks, KaffeeKiffer!):
- Create a new account with the Kickstarter registered mail address.
- Go to your profile and look at the games associated with your account. There Came An Echo should appear in the list.
- Next to There Came an Echo is a little "direct link". Click on it .
- Save the url
- Log out and sign in with your "old" regular account.
- Hit F5 on the There Came an Echo page, check on the top right corner that it now shows your regular account.
- Hit "Claim this page"
Also, we just pushed a new build on Steam, which should address many (but not all) issues. Important to note is that we've enabled experimental 16:10 support, so upon loading your game, your resolution may have changed. Not a big deal! Just go into the options and change it back to whatever you'd like.
- Fixed error in the first mission whereby Corrin would not be able to escape the chase sequence
- Added experimental 16:10 support (UI elements will be misaligned, but had to get it in there)
- Fixed checkpoint load bugs on Missions 4, 8, and 9
- Fixed issue where Miranda could not escape the Mess Hall
- Fixed several issues which would internally break voice commands
- Added ye olde Floppy Disk icon to indicate autosaves
- Added very obvious yes-you-can-give-commands-now and no-you-cannot-give-commands-now icons to compliment screen vignetting, in order to more directly alert the player when they can and cannot give commands
- Blood Type now saves correctly
- Filled out the reference card (albeit with a bunch of asterisks, which means "not localized yet")
- Modified execution thread to prevent screen dimming/Windows power save options? Not sure
- Edge drag will now not occur unless you move the mouse first
- Val's portraits no longer remains behind other characters in certain scenes
- Fixed a misattributed line in Mission 6
- Enemy shields will now animate properly when being killed
- Other minor stuff I can't remember
Of course, this build has not been thoroughly tested, so other, fancy NEW bugs may been introduced? Hopefully not. But if so, we'll take care of those too.
Anyway, I'm going to go to sleep...I'm utterly exhausted. I'll be waking up in a few hours to see what's up and fix things if necessary.
Thanks for being so patient, everyone. = D
Hold on to your butts, we're LESS THAN TWENTY FOUR HOURS AWAY FROM BACKER LAUNCH!!!!!!!11111zomg
I'm posting this now because I will, unfortunately, be unavailable tomorrow at the exact moment of launch (how anticlimatic)! I'm bringing in several native speakers to run through the commands with them and polish everything for Japanese, German, Italian, and French (today was Russian and Spanish, Sunday is Chinese, Portuguese, and Korean).
Anyway, you can claim your release-break code for There Came an Echo at the Humble Store at 3 PM PACIFIC ON FEBRUARY 21ST! It's tied to the same E-mail address associated with your Kickstarter account. If you're unable to access your code after, say, 3:30 PM, please send me a message and I'll see what I can do. I hope the Humble folks are around on weekends to assist, but I can always give a code manually if I need to.
The early release is for Steam only; the DRM-free copy will be uploaded to the Humble Store on the 24th, as planned. All backers at the $30 tier or higher will be obtaining the Deluxe Edition, by the by, which includes our incredible soundtrack from Jimmy Hinson and Ronald Jenkees!
I want to note that there are certainly still bugs with the game. If you want the most polished experience possible, I recommend waiting until proper launch on the 24th. That said, if you're okay with it, we're okay with it, and we'd love for you to send us any information you have regarding bugs! Please post your findings in the comment thread below or directly to me at email@example.com, not in the Steam forums. Preferably with steps to reproduce the error! As I mentioned earlier, I will be unable to respond immediately (probably until around 7 PM Pacific). Known errata:
- The reference card is currently not filled in, even though the base structure is there
- Other languages, while translated in text, have basically broken voice recognition at the moment (except for Russian?)
- Mission Select (arrows on the load screen) is not currently functional
- There are occasionally some weird animation bugs tied to low framerate. We're looking into these, but you may certainly alert us if you see one!
- Controller support is, uh, not good. Don't...don't play it with a controller. Yet.
We could really use your help on this one, and we do appreciate your patience if you find a stupid stupid bug. We've crushed thousands, but there are surely a few more in there. <3<3<3
Also, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not stream the game or post a video until we go live on the 24th. I know. You have things before other folk do and you TOTALLY WANT TO SHOW THEM. I encourage you to prepare a video for immediate posting on the 24th, or just doing the old fashioned thing and dragging friends over to watch!
It's been a long, long journey, and we're so happy to finally see it through to completion...but our work isn't done quite yet. With your help, it very soon will be.
See you on the other side, folks!
P.S. There's also a very specific spoiler that we'd appreciate if you kept quiet (or, at least, vague) for now. Surprises are fun!