It's been some time since we were last in contact with you about Wasteland 2. Since we released the Director's Cut, we've been working on other titles, including Torment: Tides of Numenera, which is in its final stage of development and releasing early next year, and The Bard's Tale IV, which is in the works at our new NOLA studio and deep in production, and looking great - in fact, we just put out a new video showing it off.
But, as you might have guessed, we could never leave our crowdfunding roots behind. Today, we have launched a campaign over at Fig for the next game in the Wasteland series!
For the first time, we are moving to a new platform. Fig is a relatively new crowdfunding site, and I've been on its advisory board along with others including Feargus Urquhart from Obsidian. Fig allows you to back the game and get the best value and rewards early on, and also opens the door for investors, both accredited and unaccredited. We know this is a change, but this will help ensure we can grow our games bigger and better than ever, while still being able to remain independent, keep creative control over our titles, and get to continue working on the role-playing games we love.
So just what is Wasteland 3?
- A party-based role-playing game, with a renewed focus on our trademark complex story reactivity and strategic combat.
- By including vehicles, environmental dangers, and a revamped, more fluid action system, we are evolving on Wasteland 2's deep tactical turn-based combat and unique encounter design.
- Play by yourself or with a friend in story-driven synchronous or asynchronous multiplayer. Choices open up (or close off) mission opportunities, areas to explore, story arcs, and tons of other content.
- Your Ranger Base is a core part of the experience. As you help the local people and establish a reputation in Colorado, quests and narrative will force you to make decisions on how to lead.
- The game will be set in the savage lands of frozen Colorado, where survival is difficult and a happy outcome is never guaranteed. Players will face difficult moral choices and make sacrifices that will change the game world.
- Wasteland 3 will feature a deep and engaging story utilizing a newly-revamped dialog tree system from the celebrated writers of Torment: Tides of Numenera.
- Simultaneously releasing to Windows, Mac, Linux, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
Wasteland 3 will be a huge game. With Wasteland 2, we learned a ton, and we built many of those improvements and updates into the Director's Cut – updated visuals, deeper combat, perks and quirks, and more. With Wasteland 3 we will be taking the best part of what made that game great while improving on the things you have most requested and adding even more depth and detail. All the full details can be found over at the campaign page, but here's a taste:
You may recall that when Wasteland 2 began to wrap up back in 2014, our artists and writers' work had largely finished, and so we started moving them to Torment to begin its early production. This model is one I have had in use since Interplay, and makes sure that as one game begins to wind down, we have another waiting for the team to work on. This avoids the problem of needing to lay off talent and keeps our teams together, something I have seen time and again lead to higher quality games. This is what we did when Torment began to ramp up, and now much the same is occurring again, only this time the team members finished with their work on Torment are starting on Wasteland 3 (while the NOLA office continues to work hard on Bard's Tale IV).
If you would like to continue showing support directly on Fig, or even just sharing Wasteland 3 on Facebook, Twitter, and your other social hotspots, we would be deeply appreciative. We know from experience that every little bit of your help spreading the word matters. And of course, by backing the game early, you will get the coolest rewards and best value possible too – alpha access, exclusive collector's edition boxes, concept art books, and even a Night Terror plushy (yes, we did it).
We can't say it enough: you all make it possible. Thank you once again for making Wasteland 2 a reality, and with your help we can continue to keep our independence and continue creating role-playing games you love. Let's make Wasteland 3 happen!
Leader in Exile