Hello fellow adventurers! We are Stephen & Tiffani from The Intrepid Bag Co. You may remember us from last year. After a successful and exciting Kickstarter we brought you the Journeyman and the Lillium bags, and we delivered to rave reviews (we've included a few on this page).
This year we have partnered with Brian Holmes from Pad & Quill again and are excited to bring you our all new Explorer line of leather goods for modern day intrepid wanderers. This line up includes some incredible innovations such as the instantly convertible Zinnia backpack/crossbody bag, the spacious Wayfarer Messenger, a Slim Wallet, rugged Camera Strap, and the extremely useful and unique Tech Roll cord organizer. Take a look!
The Wayfarer Messenger bag is brimming with space, versatility, and durability. It's the bag Indiana Jones would be jealous of. Perfect for any situation- from a day in the urban jungle to a week exploring ancient ruins. It features an incredible body contouring design that can be worn comfortably across the back or along the side on either shoulder. Crafted from thick saddle leather with hand stitched seams and hand pounded rivets. The Wayfarer well characterizes our obsession of uncompromising quality with an almost absurd attention to detail.
This bag has space! Inside you can easily fit a 17” laptop, iPad, a change of clothes, and all your other tech with room to spare. The side pockets fit up to an iPhone 6 along with a journal and some pens for quick access. The front expanding pockets are perfect for an iPad Mini, a Macbook charger, and even our brilliantly useful Tech Roll.
Every detail has been carefully considered, from the marine grade UV-resistant stitching, the hand-pounded copper rivets on the lay-flat handle, the contoured angles on every side, the classic herringbone lined interior, to the USA sourced full grain super thick and durable coffee saddle leather.
- Up to 17” laptop padded pocket
- Leather iPad pocket
- Exterior side pockets for an iPhone 6 Plus, with flap closure
- 2 deep expanding front pockets
- Quick access exterior newspaper pocket
- Forged steel quick-release buckles
- Angled shoulder straps for ergonomic comfort
- Lay flat rear handle with copper rivets
- 100% Made in USA vegetable tanned full grain coffee saddle leather
- UV-Resistant Marine-grade nylon stitching (used in parachute construction)
- Forged steel and copper hardware
- Hidden passport pocket
Special Bonus Gift:
We are also throwing in a special bonus gift of two 20" leather lash straps with every Wayfarer Messenger. These straps can be used to mount additional gear to the outside of the bag (tripod, blanket, jacket, yoga mat, etc...) for even more versatility using the handy mounting points on the bottom of the bag. (Estimated retail price of $19.99)
The Zinnia Convertible is an instantly convertible backpack/crossbody bag coming in a luxurious Mahogany leather and fitting up a 13" laptop as well as a ton more. The unique conversion system we designed just may be the best thing ever. It means no fumbling, no stress, just grab and pull. The classic styling and high quality construction means this bag will always look good, in fact it just gets better with age. Great for everything from your morning commute to a weekend away. The Zinnia is the perfect companion for any on-the-go intrepid soul.
Another unique feature is the wider-at-the-bottom design. This means it is stable enough to stand up on its own while still fitting a surprising amount of your daily essentials. The rich Mahogany leather is really showcased in the cascading front flap with interior rain flaps to keep the interior dry and safe.
The padded laptop pocket is big enough for up to a 13” laptop. The main bucket can hold almost anything, including an SLR camera! The expanding side water bottle pockets hide away when not in use, while adding a splash of style. There are also two quick access pockets on the back for your phone and papers, and another front pocket with a magnetic closure for all your loose items. Everything in the Zinnia stays easily accessible as well as organized.
Not only is the Zinnia crafted with beautiful, supple, and durable mahogany leather, it is also lined with a rich taupe wool fabric-blend imported from England and accented with forged steel hardware.
- Instant Grab-and-Pull Conversion From Backpack to Crossbody Bag
- 13” Laptop Padded Pocket
- Hide-Away Side Water Bottle Pockets
- Roomy Front Compartment Cascading Front Flap with Secure Tuck-Clasp
- 2 Quick Access Rear Slim Pockets Top Handle with Elegant Petal Shape for Hand Carry
- Imported English Wool Blend Lining
- 100% Made in USA Vegetable Tanned Full Grain Mahogany Saddle Leather
- UV Resistant Marine-Grade Nylon Stitching (used in parachute construction)
- Forged Steel Hardware
Special Bonus Gift:
We are also throwing in a special bonus gift of two 20" leather lash straps with every Zinnia Convertible. These straps can be used to mount additional gear to the outside of the bag (tripod, blanket, jacket, yoga mat, etc...) for even more versatility using the handy mounting points on the bottom of the bag. (Estimated retail price of $19.99)
The Intrepid Tech Roll
The Intrepid Tech Roll is a completely unique tuck-and-roll organizational system for all your small tech items such as: cords, hard drives, battery back-up, plugs, power bricks, and more. Some have called it "pure genius," a "must-have," and "the coolest thing we've seen in a long time." We just call it "Awesome."
The brilliance in this design is that you do not have remove any of the items from the Slate Grey canvas pockets to use them. Each has a pull-through plug opening that lets you both plug in and charge without removing anything from the Tech Roll, so everything always stays organized and tangle free. In addition to the cord pockets, there is a large covered pocket for storing a battery pack or hard drive. Just pull the plug through and you are ready to use it.
A zippered pocket is also there to put all your loose odds and ends in a safe place, it is even big enough to fit the entire power brick and charging cord for most laptops with room to spare! There is also two exterior specially sized mini pockets for SD Cards. This all folds up elegantly and compactly into a Mahogany leather exterior that speaks for itself, with wrap-around straps for full secure expansion. This is especially great for travel because it is as simple as opening the Tech Roll and plugging in. No stray cords to lose, no fumbling around to find your small tech. When you are finished, just tuck and roll.
- Tuck-and-roll design means all chords, hard drives, and battery back ups are fully useable without removing them.
- 3 cord pockets with fully accessible plug openings
- Large covered pocket for hard drive or a battery backup, fully accessible
- Zippered pouch for loose gear, with exterior SD card mini-pockets
- 100% Made in USA vegetable tanned full grain mahogany saddle leather Two Leather Wrap Around Straps for Secure Full Expansion
- UV- Resistant Marine-grade nylon stitching
Meet the world's most durable, luxuriant, and comfortable leather camera strap. An ultra-soft and ergonomically designed shoulder pad that cradles your neck in a subtle moon shape, while 2 forged steel d-rings allow the strap to move freely without putting stress on the shoulders.
Secure locking hardware attaches to the tripod mount at the bottom of the camera allowing it to hang on your side so it is always in reach but never in the way. This allows the camera to slide freely along the strap for quick and easy usage.
- Ergonomically designed soft shoulder pad
- Adjustable length strap
- Free sliding forged steel hardware
- Secure locking tripod mount
- 100% Made in USA vegetable tanned full grain Coffee saddle leather
- UV-Resistant Marine-grade nylon stitching
The Slim Wallet
The Intrepid Slim Wallet is a wallet for the minimalist with 4 boldly angled pockets that are perfect for storing the basics you need without all that extra bulk. It is constructed using rugged saddle stitching made from UV-resistant marine grade nylon that is also used in parachute construction, meaning this wallet will last. The full grain coffee saddle leather will age with you and only look better with day to day use.
We are a designer couple living in the Bay Area of San Francisco. As avid world travelers, language learners, volunteers, and artists we are always on the hunt for the perfect bags to take with us on our adventures, the kind of bags that will go anywhere, from the streets of Berkeley to the ruins of Ephesus, from the New York Rat Race to the Scotland Highlands, from our favorite neighborhood tea cafe to the fields of Darjeeling.
Last year we ran a kickstarter to launch our first two bags: the Journeyman Commuter and the Lillium Side-purse. The response was fantastic and the rave reviews speak for themselves. Here's just a few:
- "I ask you: is there a better feeling than when someone says, "awesome bag! Looks like something Indiana Jones would use." Of course there isn't. Get this bag." -Jeff P.
- "I got this bag for my significant other and he loves it. Beautiful leather and craftsmanship- he uses it every day." -Caitlyn F.
- "I think these bags find the perfect balance between professional and casual. I take mine to work everyday. It fits my 15 inch laptop perfectly, and fits snugly enough that it doesn't get in the way during my train commute. Worth every penny." -Chris B.
- "I got this bag for my trip over the pond, but since I've been back home, I haven't wanted to give it up, so I'm using it every day. And, I just bought a 2nd one, to be sure that I have a backup in case something happens to mine and I can't replace it!" -Linda C.
- "Finest leather, perfect work, great design. The Lillium won’t be the last Intrepid stuff I buy, for sure!" -Roland M.
However, we haven’t stopped there! After many hours of design and many many prototypes, our new line of products takes everything we learned from our first two bags and rolls them into a brand new lineup.
Each and every item is made by hand, the old-fashioned way, by craftsman who have been doing this for generations. Constructed from the highest quality materials in the world, and designed without compromise. The end results are conscientiously made, artfully crafted, heirloom quality products for modern day explorers and adventurers.
Our Timeline and Production Plan
May: Finalize prototypes, create gold samples, order dies
June: Order materials and begin production on products
July: Final production and quality control inspections
August/September: Begin Shipping!
Risks and challenges
As Kickstarter veterans with 2 years of business under our belt, we have many of the risks and challenges very well mitigated. We have also partnered again with Brian Holmes of Pad & Quill who brings his extensive product development, manufacturing, and delivering experience into play to help ensure everything runs smoothly.
Of course, when having products made by hand there is always the risk that things might take a little longer than expected. Slight delays may happen since multiple suppliers are involved in sourcing materials and getting things set up. That is the biggest risk we face.
We are committed to keeping our products to the highest standards and have multiple levels of quality assurance checks to make sure that each and every bag is the highest of quality before we ship. We will not ship a single inferior product, that is our promise to you.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (32 days)