About this project
- Try our demo version at this link. Works with Windows 64-bit, Mac OSX & Linux. (Java based, but has native builds for Windows and Mac OSX.) Remember: It is an early demo so you will see bugs as well as many features not yet implemented.
- For simplicity, most rewards here for the software only include the upgrade from Hexographer 1. Don't have a license for it? You don't have to wait, get it now: Go to our store here and get one for half price, or get it in the bundle with Cityographer and Dungeonographer. Or if you don't mind the wait, pick the $35 "Hexographer 1 & the Upgrade" reward level and pledge extra for any add-ons you would like.
- Our rewards feature several bonus items: Icon Sets, Mug, Mousepad, and Alpha Access. You may also add these to any pledge--see "Add-On Details" section below for the amounts to add.
It is hard to believe, but Hexographer is 7 years old! My thanks to everyone for your support over the years.
This project will help us take the tool to the next level! Here is what we can do with a new version (not all of this is in the demo version yet):
- A new architecture allows us to have undo/redo functionality.
- Better "child maps." Create a world map and from that same map create a continent level map as well as a kingdom level map. It will remain one file so most changes to one level map will be reflected in the others.
- Hexographer's rather simple "note" functionality can expand to allow you to detail each location as well as things about your world not tied to a location: religions, cultures, important NPCs, etc. It becomes an interactive Gazetteer!
- We're adding an entirely new, more realistic icon set to the software.
- Polygons, Lines, Ovals, etc. have more options for shadows and textures.
- Easy drag and drop of labels and features: Most apps make this tricky, but we're improving it.
- Icosohedral Maps have been planned into Worldographer from the beginning.
- Configuration of new terrain, features, and textures is much easier. (Just drop files to a specific folder.)
- The new user interface framework gives the software a cleaner look.
- Mini-generators create details for notes about cities, castles, ruins, etc.
- Import Hexographer 1 files.
Further there are a couple of more good reasons to support us!
- We're not using a subscription model. Support us once and you don't have to sign up for a recurring fee. We don't have cloud servers to support, etc., so we don't have to require regular payments. We'll continue to be successful by you continuing to spread great reviews of the product so others buy it; making icons sets and other software; and offering extra icon mini-packs through Patreon.
- Backing this on Kickstarter makes the product better for everyone by achieving stretch goals. (See Below.)
- We're going to deliver. As we said above, we have been supporting Hexographer for years. A little research will show that we've delivered on all of our funded projects.
- If you just want icon sets, pick our Icon Set reward level. Add $15 ($31 total) if you want both new icon sets.
- The upgrade to Worldographer/Hexographer 2 is our primary reward at the $19 level and is included at every level above it.
- At $35 you will get the upgrade to Worldographer and one icon set.
- A second reward at $35 ("Hexographer 1 & the Upgrade") gets you The current version of Hexographer (send soon after pledging completes) plus the upgrade to Worldographer.
- At $50 you get the upgrade to Worldographer and two icon sets.
- At $60 we add a Worldographer logo/map mousepad to the $50 level.
- At $80 we add a Worldographer logo/map mug to the package.
- At $125 we include alpha access to the upgrade, both icon sets, mousepad and mug.
The better this Kickstarter project does, the more features and icons we'll add and the better the products will be for all of you! None of these cost extra money, they are all about giving you a better Worldographer and more icons for the icons sets.
- UNLOCKED! $16,500: City Notes Generator: Click a button in the Note Dialog and it will generate a city description for you. (Government type, population, key NPCs, etc.)
- UNLOCKED! $17,500: 15 Extra mostly Elven "Isometric" icons added to the Isometric icons set.
- UNLOCKED! $19,000: Castle Notes Generator: Click a button in the Note Dialog and it will generate a castle description for you.
- UNLOCKED! $20,000: 15 Extra mostly Elven "Alternate Classic" icons added to the Expanded Alternate Classic icons set.
- UNLOCKED! $21,500: Coastline Wizard: Click a button and the system will add coastline shapes to the map to automagically make the map look more organic.
- UNLOCKED! $22,500: 15 Extra mostly Dwarven "Isometric" icons added to the Isometric icons set.
- UNLOCKED! $24,000: Political Border Tool: Click two hex vertices and the tool automatically creates the straightest line between them that follows the hex edges, like many old-school maps.
- UNLOCKED! $25,000: 15 Extra mostly Dwarven "Alternate Classic" icons added to the Expanded Alternate Classic icons set.
- UNLOCKED! $26,500: Hex Overlay added to the core program. As you drill down to lower map levels, optionally see the hex overlay of the level(s) above.
- UNLOCKED! $27,500: 15 Extra mostly Orc "Isometric" icons added to the Isometric icons set.
- UNLOCKED! $29,000: Ruins Notes Generator: Click a button in the Note Dialog and it will generate a castle description for you.
- UNLOCKED! $30,000: 10 Extra mostly Orc "Alternate Classic" icons added to the Expanded Alternate Classic icons set.
- UNLOCKED! $31,500: Political Hex Widget/Tool. Easily add hexes to one nation/empire or another with this tool. It will automate changing the border line or translucent overlay that represents a nation/empire.
- UNLOCKED! $32,500: 15 Extra mostly Greek "Isometric" icons added to the Isometric icons set.
- UNLOCKED! $34,000: Auto-populate a map with nations/empires, cities, towns, and villages.
- UNLOCKED! $35,000: 10 Extra mostly Greek "Alternate Classic" icons added to the Expanded Alternate Classic icons set.
- UNLOCKED! $36,500: Export to PDF. The print integration can be a little finicky. A built-in print-to-PDF option gives more control and lets you see the result before it is printed.
- UNLOCKED! $37,500: 15 Extra mostly Viking "Isometric" icons added to the Isometric icons set.
- UNLOCKED! $39,000: Add 40+ more isometric terrain icons to the core program. Get one or two more versions of most of the terrain. This gives more variety.
- UNLOCKED! $40,000: 10 Extra mostly Viking "Alternate Classic" icons added to the Expanded Alternate Classic icons set.
- UNLOCKED! $41,500: Add population sizes for each hex to the map auto-populator.
- UNLOCKED! $42,500: 15 Extra mostly Roman "Isometric" icons added to the Isometric icons set.
- UNLOCKED! $44,000: Add ruins, mines, forts and castles to the map auto-populator.
- UNLOCKED! $45,000: 10 Extra mostly Roman "Alternate Classic" icons added to the Expanded Alternate Classic icons set.
- $46,000: 15 Extra mostly East Asian "Isometric" icons added to the Isometric icons set.
- $47,500: Add climate info for each hex. Based on some initial settings of your world and a hex's longitude and latitude, it give you seasonal temperature and rainfall info as well as a few other details.
- $48,500: 10 Extra mostly East Asian "Alternate Classic" icons added to the Expanded Alternate Classic icons set.
- $50,000: Configuration tool. Although adding custom terrain and icons is already designed to be easier than ever, this tool will make it easy to assign attributes to those items: which terrain is similar to a given terrain for generating a child map, hex resource & climate info, etc.
And we've got even more icons and feature ideas if we need them!
If our reward levels don't have the perfect mix of rewards, pick the one that comes closest and pledge extra for any of the following:
Isometric Icon Set
These icons have a realistic, isometric style. Many will be included in Worldographer, but this set will give you 100+ more options: cities, villages, castles, etc. of different styles and cultures and terrain with varied looks. The amazing "gets-stuff-done" Keith Curtis has done our map graphics for the demo and we hope to give him a lot more work.
Expanded Alternate Classic Icon Set
While reminiscent of the classic icons in many 1980s games, these map icons offer more detail. This set will build on our existing alternate classic icons (which you can purchase now, outside of the Kickstarter). As mentioned above, Keith Curtis has done and will continue our map graphics.
Icon sets are included with many of our rewards (or there is another reward level with 1 or 2 icon sets), but if you don't see the right mix then the first icon set added is $16 and the second is $15 more. If the reward has one icon set already, the second is $15.
You know your mousepad is kinda old and looking worn, right? Get a new one with our handsome Worldographer logo and sample map.
Add $10 to add this to another pledge. If the pledge doesn't have shipping, also please add $5 for US Shipping, $10 for shipping to Canada and $15 to any other location.
If you're like us, you can never have too many mugs! Get a new one with our amazing Worldographer logo and sample map.
Add $20 to add this to another pledge. If the pledge doesn't have shipping, also please add $5 for US Shipping, $10 for shipping to Canada and $15 to any other location.
Once the Kickstarter completes, Alpha Access supporters will get new builds of Worldographer approximately every two weeks. You'll be able to send feedback throughout development to help ensure the final product will be able to meet your needs as best as possible.
Add $50 to add this to another pledge.
Risks and challenges
We've successfully delivered several Kickstarters in the past, have a working demo, and have supported Hexographer and its sister programs for years. The risk is low.
However, things can happen. In the most dire of circumstances, we've got our code-base backed up so other developers we know well could take over the project if needed. If the issue isn't as severe we can always release a version of the program that would have almost all the promised functionality and add the extra features in updates later.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (47 days)