Monster Stock Art & Minis II
Monster Stock Art & Minis II
At least 100 more monster stock art images & laminated cardstock & PDF minis! New creatures include line art & w/background versions.
At least 100 more monster stock art images & laminated cardstock & PDF minis! New creatures include line art & w/background versions. Read more
Several months back, we did our original Monster Stock Art & Minis Kickstarter project. We were able to do 150 pieces of stock art for 100 different creatures. (And through other stock art we were able to do even more as part of our cardstock minis.) You don't need to have been part of that project to participate now!
Now we're back and attempting to do stock art & laminated cardstock minis for another 100 monsters. Jump below for the list of artists & creatures.
We're making a big improvement to the project: Each piece of stock art will have a background and a line-art version. As a backer for stock art, you can pick any combination (color creature only, color creature w/background, line art) for each creature--get the line art for some, the color versions of others, the color versions w/backgrounds for some more and all of it for a few other creatures. Your choice!
This project has three reward types:
- PDF Minis: For just $8, get all the art from this project as a PDF of miniatures for personal use. The prior PDF of monster minis is available at RPGNow. If you want to make both sets of minis, get the prior set there and back this project for the $8 reward to get these mini.
- Laminated Cardstock Minis: For between $24 and $29 you can pick 8 8.5"x11" sheets of cardstock minis based on art from this project. Unfortunately, the final layouts of the minis won't be available until after pledging is complete so you have to guesstimate. However, you can also pick sheets from our prior Kickstarter! And if you want more than eight sheets just add $3/sheet. Extra stands are also available.
- Stock Art: There are a number of rewards that let you pledge for points to use toward stock art. The more you pledge, the more points you get. (The ratio of points/dollars also increases as you pledge more.) The point system was added to give maximum flexibility. (See below.) See the very bottom of the project description for the stock art license.
- Calendar: A fantasy monster art 2013 Calendar. See "Last minute additions below."
And one more thing... If you want to maximize the number of cardstock minis, pledge $24 extra to any physical reward and we'll include a deck of 100 4"x3" perforated non-laminated cards with over 600 cardstock minis! If you're not pledging for a physical reward please pledge $30 extra to include US/Canada shipping. For shipping elsewhere, add a total of $35 for shipping and the 600 minis.
Last Minute Additions
We're adding a few last minute things to try to reach our project goal.
Line Art for Creatures in the Prior Kickstarter: First, we're adding line art for some of the creatures from our prior monster stock art Kickstarter. If we meet this project's goal, I can confirm that those drawn by Eric Quigley and Bruno Balixa will have line art versions. The other artists who were on both projects are likely to create line art versions of their creatures as well, but I can't yet promise that. (Still waiting on some messages.) Because of this additional line art, I'm also going to let you select any of the color art from the prior Kickstarter. See update #4 for more details. My hope is that this gives you a good reason to pledge at a higher level if you were on the fence between two amounts. Also, I've added a reward that gets you all the stock art from both projects. It is $430 but remember it gets you hundreds of images.
2013 Fantasy Monster Art Calendar: We really do have a lot of great art in the project. So I've narrowed it down to 28 pieces and I'm going to let backers who choose this reward to vote for the top 12 through a non-Kickstarter survey. We'll set up the vote early this week and set the deadline to vote by next Monday. I'll get them sent out by December 15th (Priority Mail), and likely a good bit earlier. These will be US calendars, so I don't plan to send them outside of the US. You can pledge for the $23 calendar reward or add $23 to your existing pledge. Extra calendars are $21 each if sent to the same address.
The $200 Level
The $200 reward serves as our "early bird" special for stock art. (There is a separate early bird reward for minis.). It gets you all the art we do, and we'll even send it to you as soon as the art is done (but after Kickstarter transfers funds.) If/when we get close to our initial goal and the project is likely to start adding stretch goals, we'll limit that reward to just those who have backed to date and add a new reward for all the art but at a slightly higher amount.
If you want one of the select-the-artist-and-creature or select-artist-creature-and-pose rewards and all the art, select the specialty reward and add $200, if the $200 reward level is still available. If the reward for all the art is a bit higher, please pledge that new additional amount.
What Does a Stock Art Point Buy?
As mentioned above, points were added to give flexibility. Perhaps you want 2 1/4 page (depending on the artist, some will be full page) color images with backgrounds, 4 1/4 pagers without backgrounds and 9 black and white line art 1/4 pagers. With the point system you can do that! (2x6pts+4x5pts+9x2pts=50pts)
Here's the breakdown:
- 1 Point = 1 Small B&W line art image.
- 2 Points = 1 Large B&W line art image.
- 3 Points = 1 Small Color art image with a transparent background.
- 4 Points = 1 Small Color art image with simple-ish and transparent background versions. Also includes the small B&W version.
- 5 Points = 1 Large Color art image with a transparent background.
- 6 Points = 1 Large Color art image with simple-ish and transparent background versions OR the large B&W version. (In other words you get the large color art transparent background version and the simple-ish background OR the large color art transparent background version and the large B&W version.)
- 7 Points = 1 Large Color art image with simple-ish and transparent background versions AND the large B&W version.
Note: Simple-ish backgrounds are similar to what you see in the samples (dungeon wall, forest, etc.)
Small versions of the art are scaled down to 600 pixels on the larger side. (The smaller side is usually 400-500 pixels). This size is great for web use, but the image will pixellate if you print it at over 300dpi.
Large versions are at least 1/4 page at 300dpi. Many will be full page, but specific image sizes typically depend on the artist. The image sizes will be noted as each image is finished.
We've attempted to keep many of the same artists on this project as last time, but we also wanted to freshen things up. (It was also a side effect of schedules and art styles--some artists don't do line art.) Here's our new lineup:
Adam Schmidt: http://www.misteradam.com/
Bruno Balixa: http://jumpei.deviantart.com/gallery/
Eric Quigley: http://www.ericquigley.com/
(Note this turned out to be more of a "Totem Golem" (but I loved it) so we may do an additional wood golem.)
Felipe Gaona: http://www.felipegaona.com/
Ian MacLean: http://nvisionillustration.com/
Jacqui Davis: http://logicfairy.blogspot.com/
Malcolm McClinton: http://hangedmanstudio.blogspot.com/
Matt Bulahao: http://mattbulahao.daportfolio.com
Simon Buckroyd: http://www.simonbuckroyd.com/
Tadas Sidlauskas: http://www.tadasart.com
- Blink Dog
- Cave Fisher
- Dark Creeper
- Dark Stalker
- Dragon Turtle
- Frost Worm
- Gibbering Mouther
- Golem (Clay, Flesh, Ice, Iron, Stone, Wood)
- Hag (Green, Night, Sea)
- Intellect Devourer
- Iron Cobra
- Mephit (Air, Dust, Earth, Fire, Ice, Magma, Ooze, Salt, Steam, Water)
- Naga (Dark, Guardian, Spirit)
- Purple Worm
- Sea Serpent
- Shocker Lizard
- Winter Wolf
The list above has 71 creatures, the remaining 29 (and hopefully more if we go past our initial goal) will come from the secondary list. A couple of pledge levels let you pull a creature from the secondary list and include it in our initial 100. (And if you'd like us to consider a creature not on the secondary list, send a message and we may be able to add it.)
- Animated Object (Candelabra, Chair, Cage, Statue, Wagon, Catapult, Ship)
- Black Pudding
- Crawling Hand
- Crypt Thing
- Dark Slayer
- Dragon (Brass, Copper, Gold, Silver)
- Dragon, Faerie
- Drake (Flame, Forest, Frost, Sea)
- Faceless Staker
- Flytrap, Giant
- Gray Ooze
- Gremlin (Jinkin, Nuglub, Dugwamp, Vexgit)
- Hangman Tree
- Ochre Jelly
- Shambling Mound
- Troll (Ice, Rock)
- Violet Fungus
- Yellow Musk Creeper
We'll also have a few 5-10 creatures that will be new monsters or variant monsters. The "totem golem" above might be a good example of that. If you have an idea please send a message.
Stock Art License
If you wish to publish with the art, please pick a stock art reward. The cardstock minis &PDF are only for personal use. Here is the stock art license:
- The art may not be sold as part of a stock art or clip art product. Further, Inkwell Stock Art may not make up over 25% of any product's content (text & art) where it is used. (So if you want to do your own bestiary using a 1/4 page image of each monster, you’re at the limit, but that’s OK.)
- The licensee may modify the image as he sees fit as long as it does not affect the artist’s moral rights. (Purposely make the art look bad.)
- The image can appear in advertisements for products which use the image.
- The artist’s name must appear in the product’s credits.
Risks and challenges
Since this is the second iteration of this project, it really should go smoothly. Splitting the art among 10 or so artists allows an artist who is ahead to do some extra pieces for an artist who falls behind.
The only true delay in the prior version of this project was due to the organizer boxes manufacturer. It took them over a month from placing the order for them to send the boxes. If it looks like we'll need more than my extras I'll order early.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (33 days)