Collection of high quality monster stock art. Choose web versions or print quality versions. Also has laminated cardstock & PDF minis. Read more
This project was successfully funded on March 14, 2012.
About this project
After Pledging Is Complete
As I write this mini-update in the final minutes of the project's pledging period, we've just met our $8500 stretch goal! So we'll be doing the additional monsters that were announced for that goal.
Thank you for your support!
If you'd like to buy the stock art or laminated cardstock minis but missed the pledge period, please visit these pages:
Our best estimate is to have them ready to send in May. (We have to finish the art, lay it out, and print it. The stock art and PDF may be ready in early May while the laminated cardstock versions will likely take until late May.)
For those who pledged, we'll be getting surveys out to ask your specific selections (which stock art pieces you want, what minis sheets you'd like, extra options (extra bases, organizer box, etc.) your address, and so on) once the art is ready. Kickstarter only allows us to send one official survey, and because we think you should see all the art before making some of these decisions the survey will need to wait until the art is ready.
Until then, we'll post at least bi-weekly updates letting you know what art is finished and other milestones. Thanks again!
What is the Monster Stock Art project?
We're attempting to create a library of stock art for all the creatures in the 3.5 RPG SRD. While initial goal is 100 images covering the most commonly used 50+ creatures, we'd love to do a much larger set of creatures with added funds.
Note: We're adding some extra rewards to this project from the related Monster Stand-Ins (Plastic-Card Miniatures) Project. See the very bottom (just above the FAQ) for details.
It is a great resource for small print/PDF game publishers, video game authors, web sites that have anything to do with monsters (fantasy fiction, RPGs, etc.), writers who blog about games, etc. How often have you written about a monster or need a graphic of a monster for your computer game or run into a similar situation where you need monster art? With this project, you'll get a vast collection of high quality Monster Stock Art. You'll have them ready instead of having to pour through stock art websites, PDF collections, etc.
Plus, if you want if for personal use only there is a PDF option which has the monster images as print-them-yourself paper miniatures. Select this option by itself, or pick another reward and add $10 for this extra reward.
If our initial KickStarter goal is met we'll create 100 monster images, but if we exceed our goal, we'll keep adding more art to the overall collection. I personally would love to make the collection match every monster in the 3rd Edition System Reference Document.
What size are the graphics?
The monster images will be created as mostly 1/4 page (5.5"x4.25" @300dpi) graphics. Some (at least 20% and probably quite a bit more) will be done as full page graphics @300dpi or larger. However, to keep your costs down, I'll scale them down to 600 pixels by roughly 400 pixels which is appropriate for most web site and other electronic uses. These "web-size" graphics are available at less expensive reward levels.
Which creatures will be in the collection?
If we meet our initial goal, we'll have a little over 100 of the most common creatures:
- 4 kobolds (when there are multiples of a creature, you'll get 4 versions where the weapons vary and/or the poses change slightly, etc.)
- 4 goblins
- 4 hobgoblins
- 4 lizardfolk
- 4 orcs
- 4 drow
- 4 mummies
- 4 zombies
- 4 skeletons
- 2 stirges
- 2 pixies
- 2 will o wisp
- 2 gnolls
- 2 troglodytes
- 2 gargoyles
- 2 ghouls
- 2 vampires
- 2 wights
- 2 rakshasa
- 2 worgs
- 2 rust monsters
- 2 centaur
- 2 minotaur
- 2 ogres
- 2 trolls
- 2 owlbears
- 1 medusa
- 1 dryad
- 1 lich
- 1 spectre
- 1 hellhound
- 1 werewolf
- 1 werebear
- 1 wererat
- 1 cyclops
- 1 griffon
- 1 pegasus
- 1 unicorn
- 1 gelatinous cube
- 1 treant
- 6 dragons (black, blue, green, red, white, gold)
- 4 elementals (air, earth, fire, water)
- 6 giants (cloud, fire, frost, hill, stone, storm)
But of course, that's the tip of the iceberg. So for every $1000 we'll add about 10 more creatures (the exact amount varies) to the collection! We've reached $5500, $6500, $7500 and $8500 so we're going to add the following:
- 1 Basilisk
- 1 Chimera
- 1 Cockatrice
- 1 Manticore
- 1 Sphinx
- 1 Dire Rat
- 1 Dire Wolverine
- 1 Dire Lion
- 1 Dire Ape
- 1 Dire Shark
- 1 Ghost
- 1 Skeletal Champion
- 1 Wraith
- 1 Devourer
- 1 Skeletal Dragon
- 2 More Mummies (dwarf, elf)
- 3 More Skeletons (halfling, orc, dog)
- 2 More Zombies (gnome, half-elf?)
- 2 Boggards
- 2 Bugbears
- 2 Driders
- 1 Ettin
- 4 Classic Kobolds (dog-like)
- 4 Dragon-men
- 1 Satyr
- 2 Suhuagin
- 2 Tieflings
- 2 Vegepygmies
How are they laid out on the sheets of minis?
There are 8 base sheets of minis which have all the art for the project. The creatures are placed on separate sheets as follows:
- PC/NPC Characters (This art is not part of the stock art set; It is more like a line art style.)
- Animals (Swarms, Bats, Eagles, Dogs, etc.; This is also not part of the stock art.)
- Grunts (orcs, kobolds, ogres, trolls, etc.)
- Mythic Creatures (things from usually Greek myth: centaurs, cyclops, medusa, pegasus, etc.)
- Giants (which for space reasons also includes the gold dragon--no other metallic dragons are planned at the moment.)
- Dire/Were-creatures & Elementals (odd combination, but done for space)
This PDF has a draft of exactly which creatures are on each sheet. It optimistically includes all the stretch-goal creatures and has some extra spaces. The draft will change to either add more copies of some monsters if we don't add more creatures and/or make all the stretch goals. Or we may drop some duplicates for space if we announce and meet more stretch goal creatures.
Because you may need more of some creatures and not care about others, you can swap a sheet for more of any of the above or any of the alternate, more specialized sheets below. You can also add sheets for $3/sheet:
- Low-level grunts (kobolds, goblins, hobgoblins, orcs, etc.)
- Higher-level grunts (trolls, ogres, etc.)
- Another way to group some of the grunts TBD. (Post a comment/send a message if you have a suggestion.)
- Low level undead
- Medium level undead
- High level undead
- Good/Neutral Mythic Creatures
- Evil/Foe Mythic Creatures
In other words for $25, you can pick any 8 sheets (where each sheet is a bullet above). If you want extras, add $3 each. The $25 also includes 16 stands. The matching PDF is $5 extra, and the organizer box (see below) is $10. Please pledge for the total amount, but pick the $25 reward. I'll get the specific list of which sheets and extras you want through a survey after the pledge period is complete.
Who is behind the project?
First, let me introduce the artists and which of the samples each artist created:
- Bruno Balixa (cyclops) http://jumpei.deviantart.com/
- Nicole Cardiff (blue dragon) http://www.artofnicolecardiff.com/
- Storn Cook (gnoll) http://stornart.com/
- Keith Curtis (owlbear) http://kacurtis.com/
- Forrest Imel (manticore) http://forrestimel.blogspot.com/
- Malcolm McClinton (red dragon) http://hangedmanstudio.blogspot.com/
- Eric Quigley (goblins) http://www.ericquigley.com/
- David Rabbitte (hill giant) http://www.davidrabbitte.com/
- Jason Rainville (frost giant) http://www.rainvilleillustration.com/
- Ryan Sumo (werewolf) http://ryansumo.blogspot.com/
- Jeff Ward (lizardfolk) http://stungeonstudios.com/
I definitely recommend all of the artists mentioned above. Each has been able to provide timely, quality work. If you like the work they've done on this project, I'm sure they would love to work with you on more custom pieces.
The coordinator of this project is Joe Wetzel. I've just finished fulfilling the orders for the DungeonMorph Dice project and I also am the creator of Hexographer and Dungeonographer (mapping software) as well as the Coat of Arms Design Studio (heraldry software.)
The images of each monster have transparent backgrounds. Included with the project we'll create at least eight background images. A couple of these may be basic (just a swirl of colors) but some will be a dungeon or a wilderness area. These backgrounds will come as layered PSDs (photoshop images, openable by GIMP as well) so you can place a monster or a few in the image with some foreground items in front and the main background behind the creature. This gives you more variety. Combine that with the fact that you may modify the images (as long as you don't purposely make the artwork look bad--something called the artist's "moral rights") and you can easily get a much different look than someone else using this same art collection.
Here's a sample/example with just a basic background. As mentioned above, we'll have several more varied/interesting backgrounds as part of the project:
The lower left dragon is the original. Some color shifting and a background made the green dragon version in the upper left. The lower right simply lowered the saturation of the dragon and darkened it. The upper right was back to the original with a different background and a slight darkening of the dragon. By the way, this isn't the green or black dragon for the project. They will each be new art. But it is helpful to see you may be able to change some to fit other colors in case you don't like the one of the others in the set.
What will be the backer reward amounts for more than 100 images?
Honestly, I'm still figuring that out. There will be a level for 150 images and maybe another for 200 or 250. But I expect to hit a point where the backer level will be for ALL the images that are part of the project. If you want to show your support early and get all the images created for this pledge for the limited reward for your likeness + ALL the images in the project.
What are the terms of the license?
Note the artwork in the PDFs are for personal use only. If you plan to use the artwork publicly (even in a free product) you'll need to pledge for a different reward.
Here is the license in plain English:
- The art may not be sold as part of a stock art or clip art product. Further, the pieces from this collection may not make up over 25% of any product where it is used. (So if you want to do your own bestiary using a 1/4 page image of each monster, you're at the limit, but that's OK.)
- The licensee may modify the image as he sees fit as long as it does not affect the artist's moral rights. (Purposely make the art look bad.)
- The image can appear in advertisements for products which use the image.
- The artist’s name must appear in the product’s credits.
What about the Monster Stand-Ins Cardboard Minis?
As many of you know, another Kickstarter project called Monster Stand-Ins was to be a collection of 200 plastic-card miniatures (like cardboard minis, but printed on credit card like plastic for durability and wet-erasability.) However near the end that project didn't look like it would meet its goal. Even so, many people liked that project's core reward, and because this Monster Stock Art project was using much of the same art it was easy to fold a similar reward into this project.
Note: None of these rewards allows you to publish the image commercially or in a free product/website. These are for personal use only. If you want to publish with the art, you'll need to pledge at one of those levels. (If you want to publish and minis, see the FAQ.)
So here are the details:
- PDF: The existing $10 monster stock art PDF will get you all the monsters done for the project, not just 100.
- New PDF: There is now a $15 monster PDF that will have all the monsters done for the project as well as at least 28 humans & demi-humans and a bunch of normal and some giant animals & insects (snakes, bears, bats, beetles, etc).
- Laminated Cardstock Minis: This new reward is closest to what was the Monster Stand-Ins. For $25 you'll get eight 8.5"x11" sheets of laminated cardstock (100+lb) minis. Eight sheets should give about 400 minis. Those 400 will be made up of the humans/demi-humans, animals & insects and the 100+ monsters done for this project. If we only do 100, you'll be getting some duplicates and sort-of duplicates of the monsters. For example, two each of the four different orcs (leader, melee fighter, ranged fighter, shaman) instead of one each. Or, if we don't do separate original art for the chromatic dragons, we'll likely include copies of the others that have metallic coloring. There may also be duplicates if a creature (like dragons) are often found in different sizes where each duplicate is also a different size. Each of the eight sheets will have a theme (one sheet of dragons, one of undead, etc.) and there may even be more than eight sheets to choose between which break the monsters down in separate ways. If you want extra sheets add $3 per sheet. If you want all the pages as PDFs add $5. I'll have a breakdown of what creatures are on what sheets as we near the near the end of the pledge period.
- Organizer Box: The organizer box is again available for $10 extra. It has between 6 to 20 compartments, depending on which dividers you include.
- Likeness & Laminated Cardstock Minis: Monster Stand-Ins had a "likeness" reward and Monster Stock Art had one too, but Monster Stock Art's likeness reward included aspects related to stock art. So there's a new "likeness" reward at the $125 level that gets you a set of laminated cardstock minis instead of stock art rights.
- Shipping Outside the US & Canada: Please add $5 if you want the laminated cardstock minis. Add another $4 if you want the organizer box as well.
Here's a picture of the organizer box:
(Note in the "open" view the lid is cropped away.)
Generally, pick the cardstock minis reward, but pledge extra equal to the two rewards combined. Then note that in the official Kickstarter Survey that I'll send after pledging is complete. If you're not sure, email support at inkwellideas dot com.
First, remember if you're pledging for "web-size" graphics, they will be reduced so that the longer side is 600 pixels, making the shorter side 400 or a bit more depending on the original's aspect ratio.
But the print quality images are going to be at least 1/4 page at 300 dpi. I'm told there is no definitive size for 1/4 page (due to how people count margins) so I'm making it exactly 5.5"x4.125" which works out to 1650x1275 pixels. Most of the artists are doing a bit more than that or making it more squarish so we get 15##x15## pixels. A few of the artists are giving larger artwork where it could be 1/4 page at 600dpi (3000x2100 or more). For example the red dragon, cyclops, each goblin and frost giants fit these dimensions. And the gnolls and hill giant are double that in size so they could be printed full page at 600dpi. If you're concerned about getting only images that are 2000x3000 pixels and over, I'd pledge at the 50 image level and then select just the larger images. (I'll detail the resolutions as we wrap up and you can tell me which creatures you want in the post-pledging survey.)
Pledge $2 or more
One web-size (600 pixels on the larger side) monster image of your choice usable personally and commercially subject to the license noted in the project's description.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $5 or more
One print quality (1/4 page or larger, depending on the image size) monster image of your choice usable personally and commercially subject to the license noted in the project's description.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $10 or more
A paper minis PDF of 100 monster images from the project. (If we do well over 100 monster images, you'll get your choice between a couple of PDFs of 100 images each.)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $15 or more
A PDF with all the monsters created for the project plus at least 28 humans/demi-humans plus a bunch of animal miniatures.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or more
Eight 8.5" x 11" laminated cardstock sheets with about 400 miniatures total. 16 plastic stands are included. Pledge $3 extra for each extra laminated cardstock sheet you'd like. Also pledge $3 extra if you want 10 extra stands. If you'd like the organizer box pledge $10 extra.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $35 or more
25 Web-size (600 pixels on the larger side) monster images of your choice usable personally and commercially subject to the license noted in the project's description. Pick your favorites!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or more
50 Web-size (600 pixels on the larger side) monster images of your choice usable personally and commercially subject to the license noted in the project's description.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or more
25 Print quality (1/4 page or larger @300dpi) monster images of your choice usable personally and commercially subject to the license noted in the project's description. Pick your favorites!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $80 or more
50 Print quality (1/4 page or larger @300dpi) monster images of your choice usable personally and commercially subject to the license noted in the project's description.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $90 or more
100 Web-size (600 pixels on the larger side) monster images of your choice usable personally and commercially subject to the license noted in the project's description.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $120 or more
150 Web-size (600 pixels on the larger side) monster images of your choice usable personally and commercially subject to the license noted in the project's description.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $125 or more
3 backers Limited (2 left of 5)
Your likeness as one of our creatures. Send a picture and one of our zombies, orcs, etc. (any humanoid creature that hasn't been painted and not already requested) will look like you! Note: Obviously you're granting us permission to use your likeness, but note this art may be also used in other products later. This pledge level includes a set of eight 8.5"x11" laminated cardstock sheets & the matching PDF. Plus, we'll send you a high-resolution digital file so you can print a full-page version.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $140 or more
*ALL* (as many as we're able to do) the monster art as Web-size (600 pixels on the larger side) images usable personally and commercially subject to the license noted in the project's description.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $150 or more
100 Print quality (1/4 page or larger @300dpi) monster images of your choice usable personally and commercially subject to the license noted in the project's description.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $200 or more
150 Print quality (1/4 page or larger @300dpi) monster images of your choice usable personally and commercially subject to the license noted in the project's description.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $225 or more
1 backer Limited (4 left of 5)
Your likeness as one of our creatures. Send a picture and one of our zombies, orcs, etc. (any humanoid creature that hasn't been painted and not already requested) will look like you! Note: Obviously you're granting us permission to use your likeness in this stock art collection and products that use it. Also includes *all* the images we create for this project, no matter how many in the "web-size" format. Add another $110 ($335) if you want all the images in the "Print Quality" size.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $230 or more
*ALL* (as many as we're able to do) the monster art as Print quality (1/4 page or larger @300dpi) images usable personally and commercially subject to the license noted in the project's description.Estimated delivery:
- (51 days)