This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by .
Magic Item Card Catalog: 5e Fantasy Reference Cards
Magic Item Card Catalog: 5e Fantasy Reference Cards
Cards for all* magic items in the 5th edition of the best known role-playing game. Art on front, back has rules. PDF & Index cards too.
Cards for all* magic items in the 5th edition of the best known role-playing game. Art on front, back has rules. PDF & Index cards too. Read more
This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by .
5th edition magic items on trading cards! These reference items help keep track of who has which magic items, make looking up the item's rules easy. They also have great art that players can't easily recognize (which can lead to less meta-gaming). Each physical deck includes a PDF to print extras or to share art during on-line games. A second PDF also included of each deck will have one-sided index card versions (which you can print 4 per page) of each item for easier printing.
* The cards cover all the 5th edition magical items we can legally republish. (We are using the System Reference Document (aka SRD) which allows us to publish all but 25 of the official core book items.)
Each deck has 54 magic items, including several duplicates of more common items where space allows. The magic items are broken into card decks based on magic item type:
- Deck 1 - Rods, Staves, Wands, & Scrolls. (Scrolls will have lined backs for you to write in specific spells. Write on top of photo-safe tape placed on the card first to re-use the card.)
- Deck 2 - Rings and Potions.
- Deck 3 - Armor & Weapons - at least one of each type of armor and weapon with lined backs so you can write in what it is specifically. Is it a long sword +1, or a luck blade, or vorpal, etc.
- Deck 4 - Wondrous Item Instruments & Jewelry.
- Deck 5 - Wondrous Item Books, Clothing, & Containers.
- Deck 6 - All Other Wondrous Items.
- Deck 7 (Unlocked Stretch Goal!) - Another deck of Armor & Weapons covering the most frequent combinations of specific Armor & Weapons (dagger of venom, longsword luck blade, mithral chain mail, etc.)
We're hoping to fund a print run of decks instead of doing them print-on-demand & pass the savings to you! Specs: Poker sized cards (3.5"x2.5"), 300 gsm, water resistant, custom tuck box, printed in the USA.
A template will also be included so you may create cards for custom items or official items for personal use that we can't republish!
- Get the 3"x5" index card PDF of 48 more common/popular magic items.
- Get the poker card PDF of the same 48 magic items. (Set up for duplex printing, 4 per page, with a bleed area: extra art designed to be cut away if the front and back don't line up exactly.)
Checklist: Immovable Rod; Rod of Absorption; Rod of Alertness; Rod of Lordly Might; Rod of Rulership; Rod of Security; Staff of Charming; Staff of Fire; Staff of Frost; Staff of Healing; Staff of Power; Staff of Striking; Staff of Swarming Insects; Staff of the Magi; Staff of the Python; Staff of the Woodlands; Staff of Thunder and Lightning; Staff of Withering; Wand of Binding; Wand of Enemy Detection; Wand of Fear; Wand of Fireballs; Wand of Lightning Bolts; Wand of Magic Detection; Wand of Magic Missiles; Wand of Paralysis; Wand of Polymorph; Wand of Secrets; Wand of the War Mage, +1, +2, or +3; Wand of Web; Wand of Wonder; plus several Scroll cards and duplicates of more common magic items.
Checklist: Oil of Etherealness; Oil of Sharpness; Oil of Slipperiness; Philter of Love; Potion of Animal Friendship; Potion of Clairvoyance; Potion of Climbing; Potion of Diminution; Potion of Flying; Potion of Gaseous Form; Potion of Giant Strength; Potion of Growth; Potion of Healing; Potion of Heroism; Potion of Invisibility; Potion of Mind Reading; Potion of Poison; Potion of Resistance; Potion of Speed; Potion of Water Breathing; Ring of Animal Influence; Ring of Djinni Summoning; Ring of Elemental Command; Ring of Evasion; Ring of Feather Falling; Ring of Free Action; Ring of Invisibility; Ring of Jumping; Ring of Mind Shielding; Ring of Protection; Ring of Regeneration; Ring of Resistance; Ring of Shooting Stars; Ring of Spell Storing; Ring of Spell Turning; Ring of Swimming; Ring of Telekinesis; Ring of the Ram; Ring of Three Wishes; Ring of Warmth; Ring of Water Walking; Ring of X-ray Vision;
The Armor & Weapons deck will cover magical versions of all the common magic armor and weapons. The backs have a notes section so you can add any custom details (a mace is +1, but +4 vs. undead for example). A stretch goal is to add another deck of the more unusual/special weapons and armor (demon armor, dagger of venom, sunblade, etc.).
Amulet of Health, Amulet of Proof against Detection and Location, Amulet of the Planes, Bead of Force, Brooch of Shielding, Circlet of Blasting, Crystal Ball, Elemental Gem, Eyes of Charming, Eyes of Minute Seeing, Eyes of the Eagle, Gem of Brightness, Gem of Seeing, Headband of Intellect, Helm of Brilliance, Helm of Comprehending Languages, Helm of Telepathy, Helm of Teleportation, Horn of Blasting, Horn of Valhalla, Ioun Stones, Medallion of Thoughts, Necklace of Adaptation, Necklace of Fireballs, Necklace of Prayer Beads, Pearl of Power, Periapt of Health, Periapt of Proof against Poison, Periapt of Wound Closure, Pipes of Haunting, Pipes of the Sewers, Scarab of Protection, Talisman of Pure Good, Talisman of the Sphere, Talisman of Ultimate Evil
Bag of Beans, Bag of Devouring, Bag of Holding, Bag of Tricks, Belt of Dwarvenkind, Belt of Giant Strength, Boots of Elvenkind, Boots of Levitation, Boots of Speed, Boots of Striding and Springing, Boots of the Winterlands, Bowl of Commanding Water Elementals, Cape of the Mountebank, Cloak of Arachnida, Cloak of Displacement, Cloak of Elvenkind, Cloak of Protection, Cloak of the Bat, Cloak of the Manta Ray, Decanter of Endless Water, Efficient Quiver, Efreeti Bottle, Eversmoking Bottle, Gloves of Missile Snaring, Gloves of Swimming and Climbing, Hat of Disguise, Handy Haversack, Iron Flask, Mantle of Spell Resistance, Manual of Bodily Health, Manual of Gainful Exercise, Manual of Golems, Manual of Quickness of Action, Robe of Eyes, Robe of Scintillating Colors, Robe of Stars, Robe of the Archmagi, Robe of Useful Items, Slippers of Spider Climbing, Tome of Clear Thought, Tome of Leadership and Influence, Tome of Understanding, Winged Boots, Wings of Flying
Apparatus of the Crab, Bracers of Archery, Bracers of Defense, Brazier of Commanding Fire Elementals, Broom of Flying, Candle of Invocation, Carpet of Flying, Censer of Controlling Air Elementals, Chime of Opening, Cube of Force, Cubic Gate, Deck of Illusions, Deck of Many Things, Dimensional Shackles, Dust of Disappearance, Dust of Dryness, Dust of Sneezing and Choking, Feather Token, Figurines of Wondrous Power, Folding Boat, Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Goggles of Night, Horseshoes of a Zephyr, Horseshoes of Speed, Instant Fortress, Iron Bands of Binding, Lantern of Revealing, Marvelous Pigments, Mirror of Life Trapping, Portable Hole, Restorative Ointment, Rope of Climbing, Rope of Entanglement, Sovereign Glue, Sphere of Annihilation, Stone of Controlling Earth Elementals, Stone of Good Luck (Luckstone), Universal Solvent, Well of Many Worlds, Wind Fan
As a special bonus for any backer who pledges for the Six Decks & Chest reward, we'll include a mini-treasure chest style wooden box! Pick finished or unfinished, lattice top or solid top:
Rather simple (you can find them unfinished in some craft stores for $4) but they are perfectly evocative as is or with a simple finish or deck them out as you'd like! These boxes hold seven decks. You can pledge for more than six decks--just add $10/extra deck.
If you want 8+ physical decks and back for the Eight Decks & Chest reward, we'll include an even better/larger mini-treasure chest style wooden box! Pick finished (same finish as above) or unfinished:
This box holds at least 10 decks.
The same information as in the graphic as text:
- $8,000: Expand the Manual of Golems to 4 separate cards. Unlocked!
- $9,000: Expand the Figurines of Wondrous Power to 9 separate cards. Unlocked!
- $10,000: Add a 2nd deck of Armor & Weapons covering the more unusual/special weapons and armor (demon armor, dagger of venom, sunblade, etc.). 7 total decks if we make this goal. Unlocked!
- $11,000: Expand the Ioun Stones to 14 separate cards. Unlocked!
- $12,000: Split the Armor & Weapons deck (from the $10,000 stretch goal) into a deck for Armor and separate deck for Weapons. This allows us to show more armor types which are adamantine, mithral, etc. as well as more weapons that are vorpal, berserker, etc. 8 total decks if we make this goal.
- $13,000: Add artwork for 7 cards that could be used for core items we can't publish. (For legal reasons no text; just blank lines on the back.)
- $14,000: Add artwork for 8 more cards that could be used for core items we can't publish.
- $15,000: Add artwork for 8 cards that could be used for core items we can't publish. (There are 23 in all)
- $16,000: Make an extra deck of duplicates with extras of more popular items. 9 total decks if we make this goal.
- $17,000: TBD Stretch Goal! We have some ideas, but message us if you have something you'd love to see.
- $18,000: TBD Stretch Goal! We have some ideas, but message us if you have something you'd love to see.
- $19,000: TBD Stretch Goal! We have some ideas, but message us if you have something you'd love to see.
- $20,000: Add a deck of new magic items that are "spells in a can" for spells that don't yet have official magic item equivalents. (Ex: Lantern of Alarm, Dust of Sleep, etc.) 10 total decks if we make this goal.
- Keith Curtis: Keith Curtis is a graphic artist who has worked on hundreds of projects for the RPG industry, including licensed properties such as Game of Thrones and Babylon 5. Although he does everything from illustration to logo development to web and app graphic design, his specialty is cartography. You can find more about him at www.kacurtis.com.
- Craig Judd: A freelance illustrator, designer, layout artist, and editor, with a focus on RPG products, Craig has also released several products under PowerFrame Games. He’s always on the lookout for new projects.
- Phill Simpson: An Illustrator who covers anything and everything from pirates, ninjas, superheroes, magical things, cuddly things, cowboys, dragons, and spooks (just to name a few). Luckily for him, these are all things that naturally fill his head on a day to day basis. Phillip Is currently creating his own traditional playing card deck with a supernatural dead western theme. You can follow his new instagram at @phillstration
- Joe Wetzel: Joe is the owner of Inkwell Ideas, a RPG accessory & software company which has been around for nearly 10 years. He'll be managing this project, writing any variant items, laying out the cards, fulfilling the rewards, etc.
Risks and challenges
We've done our best to mitigate our risks.
We have three artists on board so if any of them get behind, the others can pick up the extra work. We've also worked with over 50 artists over the years, so we can easily ask others to join if needed.
If something happens to our manufacturer, we already have two backups to consider in North America or democratic Europe.
And we've done several Kickstarters over the years, and each has been delivered.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter