About this project
Thanks for everyone's support!
If you've missed the pledging deadline, go to http://www.dungeonmorphs.com to get on the email list which will announce when the dice (and cards, font, pdf, etc.) will be generally available and can be ordered online.
Note that the dice & card production timeframe is late summer, but it is possible the electronic items will be ready earlier. Kickstarter pledgees will get their rewards before the products are generally available.
DungeonMorph Dice will remind many long-time gamers of the classic dungeon geomorph booklets of dungeon maps. The spirit of these have been carried on by a number of illustrators/cartographers who create new, inter-connectible 10x10 geomorph fragments for anyone to use.
(Note: now that the original goal and two stretch goals have been met, the project description has been updated to mention the two extra sets.)
DungeonMorph Dice are available as 3 different sets of 5 dice each with a different design on each side of each die. (90 designs in all.) These dungeon geomorph dice serve many purposes:
- Each side of each die is numbered 1-6, so you can use them as normal 6-sided dice.
- You can use them as a guide (or inspiration) when making a dungeon.
- You can roll them looking for pretty patterns while waiting for your turn.
- We'll include at least one free simple dungeon exploration game which uses the dice.
- They look cooler than regular dice. :)
- Three different sets of 5 dice each, with a different design on each side of each die. (90 geomorph designs.) The first and third sets are dungeon designs and the other set is mostly cavern designs.
- 25mm (just about 1 inch cube) dice. 1" dice have enough space to show a 10x10 grid with good detail.
- White die with a black design.
- The design will be engraved into the die, so it will not wear off. But the designs also can't quite reach the very edge of each side of the die.
- The designs will likely have a small letter oneach side to differentiate the dice for use in the game(s) that come with the dice, etc.
- When pledging is completed, you'll receive an email/ Kickstarter survey asking which set(s) you want (in addition to your postal address.)
- If you love the project, please pledge for an extra set or two to make this happen!
This project was created by the same person (me) behind the popular map software programs Hexographer and Dungeonographer as well as the Coat of Arms Design Studio and other tools and articles at http://www.inkwellideas.com. All of these are free or have rich but free versions. In any case, they hopefully show that the project will be completed in a timely manner. (3-4 months after pledging is complete, mostly due to manufacturing and shipping time.)
The project is inspired by several other role-playing game players who have been creating these geomorphs and posting them for the past year or two:
- Tim Ballew "Risus Monkey" http://www.risusmonkey.com/
- M. S. Jackson "Lapsus Calumni" http://snikle.wordpress.com/
- Shane Knysh "Fictitious Entry" http://fictitiousentry.posterous.com/
- Dyson Logos "A Character for Every Game" http://rpgcharacters.wordpress.com/
- David Millar "Dave's Mapper" http://davesmapper.com/
- Brutus Motor "This is Dice Country" http://thisisdicecountry.blogspot.com/
- AJ Stone "Stonewerks" http://stonewerks.wordpress.com/
They each plan to contribute a design to the project. If you've been posting 20+ dungeon geomorphs in a similar style, please get in touch.
- The international shipping amounts (listed in each pledge) are good faith estimates. If shipping is significantly more, we'll let you know and work it out.
- The geomorph designs are not yet final. I'll post updates throughout the process.
- The battlemats in the pdf will each span several pages because each will be too large to fit on one 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper. These will likely be created using my "Dungeonographer" map editing software.
The bonus battlemat (or two or three) at the $80 level and above has unfortunately been changed. They simply weren't printable at that cost (if one wanted them to last more than one game session.) But I think I've come up with some interesting alternatives:
- A font of all 90 of the DungeonMorphs. Yep, you'll be able to just type out geomorphs. Pretty cool, I think. These will be included at the $80 level and above. They should be available in both TrueType and OpenType. I'll test them to work on Windows and MacOS. (Linux users probably don't need my help.) :)
- A card deck of all the DungeonMorphs. Each of the 90 designs will be printed on one side, laminated and cut (likely to 2"x2" or 2.5"x2.5".) These will be included for anyone pledging $100 and above.
- If you want either of these but your pledge amount doesn't qualify, simply add $7 to your pledge for the font or $8 for the card deck. (After pledging is complete, Kickstarter lets me send out an official survey where you can send me your address and product choices.) If you want the card deck but you aren't ordering any dice, please make it $12 instead of $8 to cover s&h.
The short version: The dice should be ready by late July, although it is possible it could slip to August. I expect to have the cards done by then as well. The electronic products (font, pdf) should be done by then also. There is a chance they could be sent out early.
Yes, but the Kickstarter rewards will ship before other rewards & the Kickstarter reward levels include some bonuses. Those bonuses will likely be separate if they are offered at all. They will be available online and maybe at some conventions. The specifics depend on the manufacturer and manufacturing timeframe.
After pledging is complete I will be allowed to put up a survey. (I'm not sure if that is possible immediately or not until the funds are processed.) Once I am able to you'll be able to note which sets of dice and cards, font, etc., you would like. This is also how I get your physical address to send you the products.
Support this project
- (60 days)