Did you miss the pledging period? To stay updated on the project's progress and to know when things are available, go to the Inkwell Ideas website and look for the mailing list signup section. If you're a backer you'll also get the official updates through Kickstarter emailed to you so long as you haven't opted out of that.
Here are links with more info and ordering details (when ready) for products created from this project:
Note: this page is locked by Kickstarter once pledging is completed. Check the links above or the "Updates" page for the latest details.
Here is the info we had about the project during the Kickstarter funding period:
Check out the large summary graphic below and the rest of the project details. Our pledge helper webpage may be helpful too! (It lets you pick which rewards you want and tells you how much to pledge and which reward to pick!)
- PDF sample of several Labyrinth Lord/1E Fantasy cards.
- PDF sample of several Dungeon World cards.
- PDF sample of several Pathfinder cards.
- PDF sample of a system neutral/knowledge info card.
- JPG sample of 4 encounter cards, front & back.
Although the monster and encounter cards are designed to go together, you don't have to order both types. If you just love fantasy art then stick to the monster cards. Or if you want to use the encounter cards with some random monster charts instead of cards then that will work well too. Of course the stock art (& related point system) is mostly intended for other publishers.
You can also get a PDF of just the encounter cards for $5 or just the monsters for $10 or get a PDF of all the card sets for $15. (Or add $10 to any other pledge reward.) The PDF will have versions that are 2.5"x3.5" and versions that are 3"x5" (with larger text).
Too Long, Didn't Read:
- PDF of just encounter generator cards $8
- PDF of just monster cards $10 for any one system (or systemless)
- PDF of both the encounter and monster cards $15, or $10 if you're adding this to another reward. (Or FREE if you're getting all the matching physical card decks.)
- PDF of Cardstock Minis $15, or $10 if you're adding this to another reward.
- Coloring book PDFs using the monster line art: $3 each, one will have less scary monsters (fey, animal-ish creatures like owlbears, centaur, etc., mythic creatures like pegasus and unicorn, and some dragons); the other will have the scarier creatures. Each will be at least 32 pages.
- The two encounter card decks and all five monster card decks for any one system, pick the "Any 7 Decks" reward for $77. Add our DungeonMorph cards or Monster Stand-Ins pre-printed cardstock minis for $11 more each. (Essentially, if you pick 7 or more decks they are $11 each.)
- Just the two encounter card decks pick the "Main Attraction" reward and pledge $27. ($15+$12) The PDF of the encounter decks is included.
- Just the five monster card decks then pick the "Main Attraction" reward and pledge $63 ($15+$12+$12+$12+$12). The PDF of the monster card decks for the game system you pick is included.
- Stock Art: Guesstimate the number of points you want and select the appropriate reward.
(If you're in Canada add a flat $7 to your pledge; if you're elsewhere outside the US add $7 for the first deck's shipping and $1 for each extra deck.)
(If you're an early bird the math for card decks is a bit simpler: all your card decks are $11 each.)
We've attempted to keep many of the same artists on this project as last time, but we also wanted to freshen things up. (It was also a side effect of schedules and art styles--some artists don't do line art.) Here's our new lineup:
Adam Schmidt: http://www.misteradam.com/
Bruno Balixa: http://jumpei.deviantart.com/gallery/
Eric Quigley: http://www.ericquigley.com/
(Note this turned out to be more of a "Totem Golem" (but I loved it) so we may do an additional wood golem.)
Felipe Gaona: http://www.felipegaona.com/
Ian MacLean: http://nvisionillustration.com/
Jacqui Davis: http://logicfairy.blogspot.com/
Malcolm McClinton: http://hangedmanstudio.blogspot.com/
Matt Bulahao: http://mattbulahao.daportfolio.com
Simon Buckroyd: http://www.simonbuckroyd.com/
Tadas Sidlauskas: http://www.tadasart.com
We've created a sample of several monster cards using 1st edition fantasy role-playing stats. (Labyrinth Lord to be specific, but it should easily translate to other games.)
The monster cards will initially come in the following versions:
- Facts & Legends (the backs will have "system neutral" information about each creature--great for "Knowledge" checks.)
- Labyrinth Lord & its Advanced Edition Companion ("1E")
- 3.5/3.75E Fantasy
- Dungeon World
- Blank backs. (Perhaps lined, based on feedback.)
We'll do five creature decks of 54 cards each. (Plus a cover card and OGL/license card as needed.) Here is a breakdown tentative list of the creature card sets:
- Aberrations, Dragons, & Magical Beasts: Aboleth, Ankheg, Basilisk, Behir, Blink Dog, Bulette, Catoplebas, Chimera, Choker, Cloaker, Cockatrice, Darkmantle, Dragons(10 types), Dragon Turtle, Drider, Ettercap, Eyebeast, Froghemoth, Gibbering Mouther, Griffin, Grindylow, Gug, Hydra, Intellect Devourer, Manticore, Mimic, Naga(3), Otyugh, Owlbear, Pegasus, Phoenix, Phase Spider, Pseudodragon, Purple Worm, Rust Monster, Shocker Lizard, Sphinx, Stirge, Tarrasque, Unicorn, Will-o-wisp, Worg, Wyvern
- Undead & Constructs & Outsiders: Animated Objects (7), Banshee, Devourer, Dracolich, Elementals(4), Genie(5), Ghost, Ghoul, Golem(6), Hag Night, Hellhound, Homunculus, Iron Cobra, Kyton, Lich, Mummy, Rakshasa, Retriever, Scarecrow, Shadow, Shadow Greater, Skeleton(3), Skeletal Champion, Spectre, Tiefling, Triton, Vampire(2), Wight, Wraith, Xill, Zombie(3)
- Humanoids & Fey: Boggard(2), Bugbear, Cyclops, Dark Creeper, Dark Stalker, Derro, Dhampir, Doppelganger, Dragonmen(3), Drow(2), Dryad, Duerger, Ettin, Giants(6), Gnoll, Goblin(4), Gremlin, Hobgoblin(3), Kobold(4), Lizardfolk(3), Locathah, Merfolk, Merrow, Mite, Nymph, Ogre(2), Orc(2), Pixie, Satyr, Skulk, Svirfneblin, Tengu, Troglodyte, Troll
- Monstrous Humanoids, Lycanthropes, Oozes, Plants, Dire/Were Animals & Vermin: Ape Dire, Assassin Vine, Basidirond, Bat Dire, Black Pudding, Bear Dire, Boar Dire, Cave Fisher, Centaur, Crocodile Dire, Doppelganger, Gargoyle, Gelatinous Cube, Giant Flytrap, Goblin Dog, Gray Ooze, Harpy, Hag Green, Hag Sea, Hangman Tree, Hyena Dire, Lamia, Lion Dire, Medusa, Minotaur(2), Moonflower, Morlock, Ochre Jelly, Phycomid, Rat Dire, Roc, Sahuagin, Shambling Mound, Shoggoth, Slime Mold, Slithering Tracker, Tiger Dire, Treant, Vegepygmy(2), Violet Fungus, Werebadger, Werebear, Wereboar, Wererat, Weretiger, Werewolf, Wolverine Dire, Worm that Walks, Yellow Musk Creeper, Yeti
- Animals: Ant (Giant), Ape, Aurochs, Badger, Bear (Brown & Grizzly), Beetle (Fire & Giant Stag), Bison, Camel, Centipede (Giant), Cheetah, Crab (Giant), Crocodile, Dog, Dolphin (&Orca), Eagle, Eel (Electric & Giant Moray), Frog (Poisonous & Giant), Hawk, Horse, Hyena, Monitor Lizard, Octopus, Owl, Pony, Rhino, Shark, Snake (Constrictor & Viper), Spider (Giant), Squid, Wasp (Giant), Wolf, Wolverine, and several more.
Encounter Generator Cards
The project will also have two decks of 54 Encounter Generator cards. You draw from this deck multiple times for different aspects of an encounter: outline, lair map, traps, twists & unusual treasure ideas. Think of them as the "Book of Lairs" meets "Mad Libs" to help a GM make better random encounters or to help stock a hexcrawl area.
Some of the maps will have corridors that lead to one or more card edges. These can be connected together or connected to DungeonMorph cards. (And if you want a small lair, pick a differnt card or ignore those corridors.)
Here is a mock up of an encounter outline side of an encounter card:
The outlines will have color coded borders to designate if the outline is best in a city, village, dungeon, cavern, etc.
And here is a map side of an encounter card:
Each side of the card will be color coded. A card with a city outline on one side won't have a city map so you can randomly draw any city map/outline combination.
We expect to work with the same group of cartographers who worked on our DungeonMorph Kickstarter:
- Tim Ballew "Risus Monkey" http://www.risusmonkey.com/
- M. S. Jackson "Lapsus Calumni" http://snikle.wordpress.com/
- Shane Knysh "Fictitious Entry" http://fictitiousentry.com
- Dyson Logos "A Character for Every Game" http://rpgcharacters.wordpress.com/
- David Millar "Dave's Mapper" http://davesmapper.com/
- Brutus Motor "This is Dice Country" http://thisisdicecountry.blogspot.com/
- AJ Stone "Stonewerks" http://stonewerks.wordpress.com/
And because some (but not all) of these cards can interconnect with the DungeonMorph Cards, we're happy to let you pick a deck of them just as you would select any of the other card decks here. (Just add $12 per deck--or $11 if you're in on the early bird reward.)
This section is intended only for publishers. If you're backing for the card decks or PDFs you don't need to follow the information below or know anything about the stock art points.
Finally, we will also be making much of the new art available as stock art. Currently we plan to create over 70 pieces of stock art: Aboleth, Ankheg, Animated Objects (7), Assassin Vine, Basidirond, Banshee, Behir, Black Pudding, Blink Dog, Bulette, Cave Fisher, Choker, Cloaker, Crocodile (Dire), Dark Stalker, Darkmantle, Derro, Dragons (3), Dragon Turtle, Duerger, Ettercap, Froghemoth, Genie (5), Golems (6), Gray Ooze, Hags(3), Intellect Devourer, Iron Cobra, Naga (3), Mite, Moonflower, Ochre Jelly, Otyugh, Phoenix, Phycomid, Scarecrow, Shambling Mound, Shocker Lizard, Shoggoth, Slime Mold, Slithering Tracker, Svirfneblin, Tengu, Tiger Dire, Violet Fungus, Wereboar, Weretiger, Xill, Yellow Musk Creeper and a couple of players to be named later.
If you just want all of the above art, don't worry about the points system below--pick the $180 pledge. (Or if you also want our prior Kickstarter's stock art, pledge for the $400 reward.)
So again, we're going to use a point system to let you pick and choose the art you want. This is very helpful if you only want the line art versions or don't care about color backgrounds or especially if you want 10 line art images, 15 color images, 5 color images with backgrounds and 5 creatures as line art, color and with backgrounds. Here is the cost of each type of image:
Here's the breakdown:
- 1 Point = 1 Small B&W line art image.
- 2 Points = 1 Large B&W line art image.
- 3 Points = 1 Small Color art image with a transparent background.
- 4 Points = 1 Small Color art image with simple-ish and transparent background versions. Also includes the small B&W version.
- 5 Points = 1 Large Color art image with a transparent background.
- 6 Points = 1 Large Color art image with simple-ish and transparent background versions OR the large B&W version. (In other words you get the large color art transparent background version and the simple-ish background OR the large color art transparent background version and the large B&W version.)
- 7 Points = 1 Large Color art image with simple-ish and transparent background versions AND the large B&W version.
Note: Simple-ish backgrounds are similar to what you see in the samples (dungeon wall, forest, etc.)
Small versions of the art are scaled down to 600 pixels on the larger side. (The smaller side is usually 400-500 pixels). This size is great for web use, but the image will pixellate if you print it at over 300dpi.
Large versions are at least 1/4 page at 300dpi. Many will be full page, but specific image sizes typically depend on the artist. The image sizes will be noted as each image is finished.
Stock Art License
If you wish to publish with the art, please pick a stock art reward. The cardstock minis &PDF are only for personal use. Here is the stock art license:
- The art may not be sold as part of a stock art or clip art product. Further, Inkwell Stock Art may not make up over 25% of any product's content (text & art) where it is used. (So if you want to do your own bestiary using a 1/4 page image of each monster, you’re at the limit, but that’s OK.)
- You may not use the art in another stock art/clip art product.
- The licensee may modify the image as he sees fit as long as it does not affect the artist’s moral rights. (Purposely make the art look bad.)
- The image can appear in advertisements for products which use the image.
- The artist’s name must appear in the product’s credits.
Risks and challenges
There are two primary risks to this project, but we've already largely mitigated them:
-The art could be delayed: By working with several artists, artists who are ahead can off-set an artist or two who is behind.
-The card manufacturer runs into issues: We've already identified 3 different possible manufacturers.
We've gone through three successfully funded Kickstarters to date:
-DungeonMorph Dice: These were delivered albeit a few months late mostly due to manufacturing issues--no one had done anything as detailed on that scale before!
-Monster Stock Art & Minis: These were all delivered on-time. (With the exception of a few things that were returned to sender and then resent, etc.)
-Cityographer: Parts of this project were delivered over the summer. The main part of the project was due in October. Even though it is delayed we've been keeping everyone updated regularly. Our track record with the existing Hexographer and Dungeonographer speaks to our ability to deliver. We will have an alpha version of Cityographer soon and post regular updates. Furthermore, Cityographer and this project use different skill sets, so they won't impact each other.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (59 days)