This project will update many of the creatures in our ENnie-nominated Creature Decks products to the 5th edition of the world's most popular tabletop RPG! They will look something like this:
Get a PDF of all the SRD creatures! This version only has the art for a few sample cards. It is all the nearly 300 SRD creatures in one deck. (SRD refers to the "System Reference Document"--the rules and statistics made available for anyone to freely use, subject to the Open Game License.)
We'll do at least 5 decks of about 60 cards each, with a TBD stretch goal for a 6th deck. The decks will be broken down as follows:
- One with the humanoids, undead, giants and constructs found in the official SRD.
- Another will have the monstrosities, and dragons of the official SRD.
- The third deck contains the aberrations, celestials, fiends, fey, and elementals in the SRD.
- The fourth deck features the beasts, plants, dinosaurs and oozes of the official SRD.
- The fifth deck will be creatures *NOT* in the 5th edition SRD. These will be creatures converted from prior editions of the game.
- We've made our stretch goal of $4000, so we're adding a 6th deck will have more creatures *NOT* in the 5th Edition SRD. See below for details.
- And we've made our 2nd stretch goal of $6000, so we're adding a 7th deck of creatures also not in the 5th Edition SRD. See below for details.
Note: The cards will feature full color art, except the deck of beasts, plants, dinosaurs and oozes which will have some color art, but many of the more basic creatures will be B&W line art.
2nd Note: For more information on POD (Print-on-Demand) see the section below titled "What is the Story with Print-on-Demand (POD)?" The short version is when the card files have been approved, you'll be able to print them yourself as PDFs and (if you wish) have them professionally printed as trading cards at cost which is about $.08/card--roughly $5/deck.
(Thanks to Nick Greenwood of Dias Ex Machina games for creating the 5e logo.)
How Did We Get So Much Info on a Card?
There is a lot of info to fit onto one card. However, all the body text is 8pt. All cards will have all text on the back. (The front will just be the image so you can easily show them to players.)
We also heavily abbreviated some terms/definitions.
For example a Bronze Dragon's wing attack is:
Wing Attack. The dragon beats its wings. Each creature within 10 feet of the dragon must succeed on a DC 19 Dexterity saving throw or take 13 (2d6 + 6) bludgeoning damage and be knocked prone. The dragon can then fly up to half its flying speed.
This was shortened to:
Wing Attack. Each creature within 10' of the dragon must make a DC 19 Dex save or take 13 (2d6+6)B & be knocked prone. It can then fly up to half its fly speed.
Note the "B" after the damage is a convention we introduced to replace "bludgeoning damage" when following the damage amount. (And P is used for piercing and S for slashing.)
Below is another sample card:
How will the money be used?
While we have much of the needed art from prior projects, there are still a number of creatures we don't have. Second, we have to pay for writing /converting and editing all of the creature information.
What are the full lists of creatures for each deck?
The Constructs, Giants, Humanoids & Undead deck will have:
- Constructs (9): Anim Obj - Armor; Anim Obj - Flying Sword; Anim Obj - Rug of Smothering; Golem, Clay; Golem, Flesh; Golem, Iron; Golem, Stone; Homunculus; Shield Guardian
- Giants (10): Ettin; Giant, Cloud; Giant, Fire; Giant, Frost; Giant, Hill; Giant, Stone; Giant, Storm; Ogre; Oni; Troll
- Humanoids (18): Bugbear; Duergar; Elf, Drow; Gnoll; Gnome, Deep (Svirfneblin); Goblin; Grimlock; Hobgoblin; Kobold; Lizardfolk; Lycanthrope, Werebear; Lycanthrope, Wereboar; Lycanthrope, Wererat; Lycanthrope, Weretiger; Lycanthrope, Werewolf; Merfolk; Orc; Sahuagin
- Undead (18): Ghost; Ghoul; Ghoul, Ghast; Lich; Mummy; Mummy Lord; Shadow; Skeleton; Skeleton, Minotaur; Skeleton, Warhorse; Specter; Vampire; Vampire Spawn; Wight; Will-o'-Wisp; Wraith; Zombie; Zombie, Ogre
The Dragons & Monstrosities deck will have:
- Dragons (13): Dragon, Black Adult; Dragon, Blue Adult; Dragon, Brass Adult; Dragon, Bronze Adult; Dragon, Copper Adult; Dragon, Gold Adult; Dragon, Green Adult; Dragon, Red Adult; Dragon, Silver Adult; Dragon, White Adult; Dragon Turtle; Pseudodragon; Wyvern
- Monstrosities (39): Ankheg; Basilisk; Behir; Bulette; Centaur; Chimera; Cockatrice; Darkmantle; Death Dog; Doppelganger; Drider; Ettercap; Gorgon; Grick; Griffon; Harpy; Hippogriff; Hydra; Kraken; Lamia; Manticore; Medusa; Merrow; Mimic; Minotaur; Naga, Guardian; Naga, Spirit; Owlbear; Phase Spider; Purple Worm; Remorhaz; Roc; Roper; Rust Monster; Sphinx, Androsphinx; Sphinx, Gynosphinx; Tarrasque; Wolf, Winter; Worg
The Aberrations, Celestials, Elementals, Fey & Fiends deck will have:
Aberrations (5): Aboleth; Chuul; Cloaker; Gibbering Mouther; Otyugh
- Celestials (6): Angel, Deva; Angel, Planetar; Angel, Solar; Couatl; Pegasus; Unicorn
- Elementals (16): Azer; Elemental, Air; Elemental, Earth; Elemental, Fire; Elemental, Water; Gargoyle; Genie, Djinni; Genie, Efreeti; Invisible Stalker; Magmin; Mephit, Dust; Mephit, Ice; Mephit, Magma; Mephit, Steam; Salamander; Xorn
- Fey (6): Blink Dog; Dryad; Hag, Green; Hag, Sea; Satyr; Sprite
- Fiends (23): Demon, Balor; Demon, Dretch; Demon, Glabrezu; Demon, Hezrou; Demon, Marilith; Demon, Nalfeshnee; Demon, Quasit; Demon, Vrock; Devil, Barbed; Devil, Bearded; Devil, Bone; Devil, Chain; Devil, Erinyes; Devil, Horned; Devil, Ice; Devil, Imp; Devil, Lemure; Devil, Pit Fiend; Hag, Night; Hell Hound; Nightmare; Rakshasa; Succubus/Incubus;
The deck of Beasts, Dinosaurs, Plants, and Oozes will have:
- Beasts (90): Ape; Ape, Giant; Axe Beak; Baboon; Badger; Badger, Giant; Bat; Bat, Giant; Bear, Black; Bear, Brown; Bear, Polar; Beetle, Fire, Giant; Blood Hawk; Boar; Boar, Giant; Camel; Cat; Centipede, Giant; Crab; Crab, Giant; Crocodile; Crocodile, Giant; Deer; Eagle; Giant Eagle; Elephant; Elk; Giant Elk; Frog; Giant Frog; Giant Goat; Goat; Hawk; Horse, Draft; Horse, Riding; Hyena; Hyena, Giant; Jackal; Killer Whale; Lion; Lizard; Lizard, Giant; Mammoth; Mastiff; Mule; Octopus; Octopus, Giant; Owl, Giant; Owl; Panther; Pony; Quipper; Rat; Rat, Giant; Rat, Giant (Diseased); Raven; Rhinoceros; Scorpion; Scorpion, Giant; Sea Horse; Sea Horse, Giant; Shark, Giant; Shark, Hunter; Shark, Reef; Snake, Constrictor; Snake, Constrictor, Giant; Snake, Poisonous; Snake, Poisonous, Giant; Spider; Spider, Giant; Stirge; Swarm of Bats; Swarm of Insects; Swarm of Poisonous Snakes; Swarm of Quippers; Swarm of Rats; Swarm of Ravens; Tiger; Tiger, Saber-Toothed; Thunderbird; Toad, Giant; Vulture; Vulture, Giant; Warhorse; Wasp, Giant; Weasel; Weasel, Giant; Wolf, Dire; Wolf; Wolf Spider, Giant
- Dinosaurs (3): Dinosaur, Plesiosaurus; Dinosaur, Triceratops; Dinosaur, Tyrannosaurus Rex
- Oozes (4): Ooze, Black Pudding; Ooze, Gelatinous Cube; Ooze, Gray Ooze; OOze, Ochre Jelly
- Plants (6): Awakened Shrub; Awakened Tree; Fungi, Shrieker; Fungi, Violet Fungus; Shambling Mound; Treant
The 5th deck's will be creatures not in the SRD. It will include:
- Celestials: aasimar; agathions (6 types); kami (5 types)
- Fiends: barghest; bebilith; some oni,
- Aberrations: bebilith; crysmal; eye of the deep; gloomwing; gug; neothelid; tenenbrous worms; xill
- Elementals: ice; lightning; magma; mud; void, sandman, sylph, thoqqua
- Fey: gremlin; leprechaun;mite; nymph; quickling; redcap
- And several more!
Note that the art for the basic animals and insects is mostly B&W and some creatures may be doubled up on one card. (The giant version may be added to the main card for that animal/insect.)
There will also be several extra "lair" cards for some creatures which have lair actions. This especially applies to the deck that includes the dragons, but several other creatures also have lair actions such as the Aboleth, Kraken, Lich, both Sphinxes and the Vampire.
If you noticed a creature we've missed, please say so!
We've made it to $4000, so we're adding a 6th deck 50+ creatures! Deck 6 will have additional humanoids, undead, giants and constructs not found in the SRD:
- Undead: berbalang; bodak; crypt thing; devourer; draugr; huecuva; mohrg; penangalen; varguille; zombie, ju-ju
- Humanoids: boggard; dark creeper; dark stalker; derro; devourer; foxfolk; goblin shaman; grippli; hobgoblin commander; locathah; morlock; orc king; skulk; skum; triton; vegepygmy
- Constructs: golem, ice; golem, totem; golem, wood; iron cobra; retriever
- And several more!
Second Stretch Goal!
We've made it to $6000, so we're adding a 7th deck of 50+ creatures! Deck 7 will have additional monstrosities, dragons, oozes, beasts, and weird plants--all not found in the SRD:
- Dragons: imperial dragons (5 types)
- Monstrosities: catoblepas; choker; dragonne; girallon
- Oozes: shoggoth; slime mold; slithering tracker
- Beasts: goblin dog; sea serpert; shocker lizard
- Plants: basidirond; giant flytrap; moonflower; phycomid; quickwood
- And a bunch more!
Other Card Decks
We've done a few card deck Kickstarters in the recent past, and you're welcome to pledge for them as well. Just count them up as additional card decks and pick the pledge matching the number of decks you want. If you're getting more than 5 decks, add $5 to the $29 pledge for each deck beyond the 5th. Here is a short synopsis of the other decks:
Encounter Deck 1: 56 Mini-adventures per deck (1 per card), plus many variations. These cards are designed to quickly make mini-adventures (a.k.a. side treks or hex-crawl stocking) with a map on one side and an adventure outline on the other side. The map doesn't necessarily match the outline, you draw more cards as maps are needed.
Encounter Deck 2: Similar to Encounter Deck 1, but the maps are in color (Deck 1's are in B&W.) However, the adventure outlines are all new/different.
Encounter Deck 3: Similar to Encounter Decks 1 & 2, but the maps are mostly B&W with a bit of spot color. The map is the most important location to the mini-adventure. The adventures are all new/different.
NPC Fantasy Portraits Deck: A nice portrait for an NPC on one side of the card and the NPC's system-neutral/D&D-ish stats plus background & personality information on the other side.
So if you're interested in any of the above, just add them to the number of decks to pledge. We'll ask for the specific decks you want in the Kickstarter survey, and deliver the PDFs & at-cost links/codes as soon as Kickstarter finishes collecting/transferring funds. (About two weeks after pledging completes.)
Who are the artists?
Right now, we have new art coming from Bruno Balixa, Matt Bulahao, David Loebman, Eric Quigley, Phill Simpson and we hope to reach out to others shortly. We also have art from our prior projects by them as well as Simon Buckroyd, Jacqui Davis, Felipe Gaona, Malcolm McClinton, Adam Schmidt, Tadas Sidlauskas, Luis Valente, and many others.
What is the story with Print-on-Demand (POD)?
When we're done creating the files for the card decks, we'll upload them to DriveThru/RPGNow and we will order a proof. Once that checks out, we'll send you a code to get the PDF for free and get the cards printed at cost. Your pledge here helps us to put the project together, create the art, edit the creatures, etc.
By sending you a code to get them printed at cost it makes it easier for us to not have to send individual packages to everyone (DriveThru/RPGNow has processes to better automate all of that) and it reduces how much you would lose if something happens to us before fulfilling the project. (see below for risks.)
Unless RPGNow changes its rates, it should cost less than $5 to get each deck printed (although Deck 4 may be a bit more because it is likely about 70 cards) plus shipping.
Risks and challenges
We've been in business for upwards of 10 years and think we have a good reputation. We intend to keep it. We've also done several Kickstarters, and completed/delivered each.
The risks in this project are minimal. If any artists run fall behind, we can redistribute the work to those who are ahead. Likewise editing and monster conversion can be split among several people. Printing and fulfillment is done on demand through RPGNow/DriveThruRPG.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)