The Raspberry Pi is a great platform for building all sorts of wonderful hardware and software projects. With an amazing foundation and community behind it, it has become the worlds most popular Single Board Computing platform.
Infusion Systems, the creator of I-CubeX sensors, have been supplying sensing solutions for interactive environments for more than 20 years.
Out of the box, Raspberry Pi boards do not have an onboard Analog to Digital Converter (ADC). This means that you will need additional hardware for many sensors. Additionally, the pins on the Pi are not 5V tolerant, so using 5V sensors and devices could potentially not work and damage the board! We would like to use I-CubeX and other sensors with the Pi, thereby increasing the creative capabilities of the system.
We have created an add-on, the PiShield, for the Raspberry Pi that allows plug and play support for analog as well as digital I2C I-CubeX sensors operating at 5V. Additionally, PiShield will allow you to use any analog and I2C device that operates at 5 volts.
The PiShield, from the hardware specifications to every piece of software that runs on it, is completely open source. Schematics and pinouts are available for you to use your own sensors in addition to any I-CubeX sensors, or to even re-make the PiShield from scratch - although we'd like to save you a lot of time and $$ by providing you with a plug and play solution! The instructions for setting up the software environment are available, as well as tutorials for interfacing with various software environments.
For a full list of tutorials and other documentation, check out the index here.
What Can You Do With it?
With the addition of sensors and output devices, you can greatly extend the application of the Raspberry Pi. Here are some examples along with tutorials:
... And much more!!
- Adds missing A-to-D functionality to your RPi
- Provides convenient, neat, and reliable connections between your sensors and the RPi - no messy wires on a breadboard!
- Board dimensions: 30 mm x 65 mm (same as Pi Zero)
- Matches all 4x mounting holes of Pi Zero, 2x holes for the A+, B+, 2B, and 3B
- Weight: ~15 g
- Operating Voltage: 5V powered, with 3.3V connections to RPi GPIO pins
- Board compatibility: RPi Model A/A+, B/B+, 2B, 3B, zero
- A-to-D circuitry: MCP3008 connected to SPI Port 0
- For sensor interface pinouts and board schematics, click here
Help us bring this project to reality and get the following rewards for your support. For more details of each reward item, please visit this page
- $10 PiShield Super Early Bird (limited): Get the PiShield at half the regular price!
- $15 PiShield Early Bird (limited): Get the PiShield at a reduced price!
- $20 PiShield: Get the PiShield at the regular price
- $25 PiShield + SD Card Get the PiShield board + pre-loaded 8GB SD card
- (NEW Oct 6th) $35 PiShield Two Pack: Get two PiShield boards!
$50 PiShield + SD Card + DIY Sensor Pack (limited): Same as above reward (PiShield + SD Card), plus the following DIY modules:
- Red Laser
- Capacitive Touch
- IR Distance
- DIY cable assembly for each module (6x)
- 1x Sensor Extension cable
- (NEW Oct 11th) $75 PiShield Five Pack: Get FIVE PiShield boards!
- (NEW Oct 6th) $100 PiShield + SD Card + DIY Sensor Pack + RPi3:
- The above reward, plus a Raspberry Pi 3 and power supply!
$100 PiShield + SD Card + I-CubeX Sensor Pack (limited):
- PiShield + SD Card
- Turn v1.4
- FlashOn v1.0
- SeeLaser-Red v4.0
- ReachOn v2.0
- ReachClose v3.0
$125 PiShield + SD Card + I-CubeX Sensor Pack + RPi Starter Kit + Pi Zero (limited):The previous reward above, plus:
- Raspberry Pi Zero board
- Power supply for the RPi (Rated 5V 2A)
- USB OTG adapter cable
- USB WIFI adapter (2.4 GHz 802.11n)
- (NEW Oct 6th) $150 PiShield + SD Card + I-CubeX Sensor Pack + RPi3:
- The same PiShield and I-CubeX Sensor pack as above, but with a Raspberry Pi 3 and power supply!
Whats the difference between the I-CubeX Sensors and ones in the DIY kit?
Functionality-wise, they cover identical sensing applications. The main difference is that the I-CubeX sensors are more robust. They use shielded cables to reduce interference and noise, have pre-made connectors, and are protected by packaging that protects the sensor, guards against accidental short-circuits and prevents the breaking of wires. I-CubeX sensors have been developed and refined over more than 20 years and used by thousands of people all over the world. The DIY kit is designed for those looking to save money but willing to do a bit of work putting the sensor wiring and connectors together (all parts are included), resulting in pin-compatible sensors but without the above-mentioned benefits of I-CubeX sensors.
All rewards include free international shipping!
Risks and challenges
We have spent a lot of time and effort developing the hardware, and making documentation and tutorials on using the PiShield with a variety of platforms and environments. However, we will need your support in order to share the product with a larger audience and extending its potential impact. This is why we are turning to the Kickstarter community for help.
Hardware projects, with their large number of logistical steps from design, prototyping, implementation, sourcing, manufacturing, and transport contain a high amount of risk. Infusion Systems has more than 20 years of experience in this field, and we will do our best to insure this project goes smoothly.
We already have a small batch on hand that have been tested and are ready for delivery through our existing and reliable shipping channels, so the first wave of Super Early Bird shipments should have no problem being sent out right after the campaign ends.
We have made calculated and conservative deadlines for the later batches, and will be maintaining an open communications channel with backers as the orders are being fulfilled.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)