Every Class. Every Archetype. Every Race. An entire bookshelf of character crunch. The most comprehensive character tool of all time, for the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game.
Truly, the Ultimate Character Compendium.
Over 4,000 instantly-usable NPCs with complete statblocks, covering a wide spectrum of difficulty levels and challenge, assembled in 11 full-color PDFs and/or hardcover books.
If you play, or run, a Pathfinder game, these books will save you time and inspire more diverse and interesting play. It's as simple as that. Thousands of detailed, ready-to-use PCs/NPCs and animal companions. Tons of high-quality, intricately-detailed crunch.
What Is This?
If this campaign is successful, eleven (11) PDFs and hardcover books will be produced. The first two of those volumes have already been published, encompassing over 200 NPCs, familiars, followers, and companions.
All told, this means 992 NPCs. With animal companions/familiars/followers, this will drive to well over 1,000 characters. And since each one comes in four flavors (see Quadded Statblocks, below), that's over 4,000 fully-detailed NPCs.
Though they're intended to be used as NPCs, dropped into a game as NPCs by the GM, they can easily be used as starting points for new players to dive right into a gaming session, or to replace a killed-off PC mid-campaign.
This KS campaign is an opportunity to save a bundle on some of the most complex, richly detailed, and ambitious indie RPG content ever produced.
Prefab PCs and NPCs aren't new. But this many of them, covering this many different classes and options, and composed in alignment with a wide array of difficulty levels--that's super-convenient and useful. It's drop-in character crunch at its finest, its most diverse, and flexible.
Free Hands-On Example
Check out the free PDF Standard Pregenerated Characters for Dark Obelisk 1 to get a sense of what to expect. It's a long, unwieldy name for a book, but it gets the job done. :)
An Overview of What's Included
- Total NPCs: 992
- Books: 11
- Races: 66
- Classes: 50
- Prestige Classes: 50
- Archetypes: 825
NPCs: 4 in 1
Each pregenerated character shows what I call "Quadded Statblocks"--one separate statblock, individually created for each of four challenge levels. Typically, this corresponds to character levels 1, 6, 10, and 14.
The point is to support a wide breadth of gameplay, and to let people start a game at nearly any level of difficulty. Used as NPCs, it means that a GM can easily drop a "scaled" character into a game of any difficulty.
Check out the published examples, or download the free PDF on Quadded Statblocks, for more examples and info on this highly useful and unique approach to RPG creature crunch.
Class by Class: Included NPCs
All subject to change and tweaking here and there, but this should give you a sense of the vitals. The counts vary class by class in service to the number of published Archetypes available for each class.
- Alchemists: 42
- Antipaladins: 9
- Arcanists: 12
- Barbarians: 33
- Bards: 50
- Bloodragers: 17
- Brawlers: 14
- Cavaliers: 27
- Clerics: 20
- Druids: 56
- Fighters: 45
- Gunslingers: 18
- Hunters: 17
- Inquisitors: 30
- Investigators: 20
- Kineticists: 10
- Magus: 26
- Mesmerists: 13
- Monks: 45
- Occultists: 10
- Oracles: 20
- Paladins: 43
- Psychics: 5
- Rangers: 51
- Rogues: 59
- Shaman: 12
- Skalds: 18
- Slayers: 15
- Sorcerers: 12
- Spiritualists: 9
- Summoners: 21
- Swashbucklers: 16
- Vigilantes: 13
- Warpriests: 13
- Witches: 26
- Wizards: 18
Plus prestige classes, at least one character for each of the dozens of published races, and much more!
How Did We Get Here?
Two very successful Kickstarter campaigns resulted in two of the biggest, most thorough Pathfinder character compendiums ever produced.
Originally, these books were conceived as a set of only four: one book as a companion for each of the four planned adventures in the Dark Obelisk Adventure Path.
However, it became clear that these tomes had a utility far beyond integration with a set of complex adventures. I've received lots of feedback as to how GMs and players alike have used CC1 and CC2 in their gaming sessions: to save time, and to be inspired with new, unique combinations they never would have explored if they hadn't been ready-to-use and springing to life from the page.
Recently, I've gotten many requests for additional Character Compendium books, focusing on classes, races, and archetypes that haven't yet made it into the first two published books.
In addition, two further very successful Kickstarter campaigns were focused on the most complete and ambitious set of Bestiary books ever imagined. Those books are crunch-complete, with hundreds of hours spent producing more than 6,200 complete statblocks. It remains only to lay them out in tomes and publish the resulting bookshelf, coming shortly in 2019!
The point is: Backers of Infinium Game Studio projects have made it clear that they love crunch, and that they find the published crunch IGS produces to be immensely useful.
Given this feedback, I went back and re-imagined the Character Compendium plan of attack. I researched each and every option and archetype, inventoried every race and prestige class, and came up with a list much more mammoth than could possibly fit in four books.
And thus, as a result, we have this Kickstarter campaign. Insanely ambitious, and delightfully lofty in its aims. But heck--that could be the IGS motto. :)
Character Compendium 1
Originally intended as a companion to the Dark Obelisk 1 city-setting adventure, this tome lays a broad foundation of classes, with a deep dive into Barbarian archetypes.
Check it out here.
CC1 Review Quotes:
- "a rather impressive book"
- "the single biggest book of pregens I have ever seen for any gaming system"
- "surprised by the relative precision of the builds"
- "you get a metric TON of characters"
- "some serious value for the time-starved, but crunch-savvy GM"
- Barbarians: 16
- Bards: 11
- Clerics: 5
- Druids: 4
- Fighters: 5
- Monks: 9
- Paladins: 2
- Rangers: 6
- Rogues: 4
- Sorcerers: 2
- Wizards: 2
- Alchemists: 6
- Cavaliers: 2
- Gunslingers: 3
- Inquisitors: 3
- Magus: 3
- Oracles: 2
- Summoners: 2
- Witches: 2
- Antipaladin: 1
- Ninja: 1
- Samurai: 1
Character Compendium 2
Originally intended as a companion to Dark Obelisk 2, this book features Druids and Rangers heavily, in service to the nature and theme of the DO2 and Druid Enclave adventure books.
Check it out here.
- Bard: 1
- Clerics: 3
- Druids: 29
- Fighters: 5
- Paladin: 1
- Rangers: 17
- Rogues: 15
- Wizard: 1
- Cavaliers: 3
- Gunslingers: 2
- Inquisitor: 1
- Magus: 2
- Oracle: 1
- Summoner: 1
- Witches: 2
- Alchemist: 1
Character Compendium 3
- Alchemists: 30 (from Alchemical Sapper to Words of Power Alchemist)
- Antipaladins: 8 (from Blighted Myrmidon to Tyrant)
- Arcanists: 12 (from Blade Adept to White Mage)
- Barbarians: 15 (from Brutish Swamper to Wildborn)
- Bards: 35 (from Arrowsong Minstrel to Words of Power Bard)
Character Compendium 4
- Bloodragers: 17 (from Ancestral Harbinger to Urban Bloodrager)
- Brawlers: 14 (from Exemplar to Winding Path Renegade)
- Cavaliers: 21 (from Constable to Wave Rider)
- Clerics: 12 (From Cardinal to Words of Power Cleric)
- Druids: 20 (from Aerie Protector to Wild Whisperer)
- Gunslingers: 11 (from Bolt Ace to Wyrm Sniper)
- Ninja: 2 (Frozen Shadow and Scout)
Character Compendium 5
- Fighters: 32 (from Aquanaut to Weapon Master)
- Hunters: 17 (from Chameleon Adept to Verminous Hunter)
- Inquisitors: 24 (from Cloaked Wolf to Words of Power Inquisitor)
- Investigators: 20 (from Bonded Investigator to Steel Hound)
- Kineticists: 9 (from Aquakineticist to Terrakineticist)
Character Compendium 6
- Magus: 19 (from Armored Battlemage to Words of Power Magus)
- Mediums: 7 (from Fiend Keeper to Storyteller)
- Larges: 2 (from Terrible Dad Joke to Horrible Pun)
- Mesmerists: 12 (from Cult Master to Vox)
- Monks: 31 (from Black Asp to Zen Archer)
- Occultists: 10 (from Ancestral Aspirant to Tome Eater)
- Oracles: 15 (from Ancient Lorekeeper to Words of Power Oracle)
Character Compendium 7
- Paladins: 38 (from Chosen One to Words of Power Paladin)
- Rangers: 25 (from Code Runner to Wilderness Explorer)
- Rogues: 33 (from Consigliere to Waylayer)
Character Compendium 8
- Psychics: 5 (from Amnesiac to Psychic Duelist)
- Shamen: 11 (from Animist to Witch Doctor)
- Skalds: 18 (from Augur to Wyrm Singer)
- Slayers: 15 (from Avalancher to Woodland Sniper)
- Sorcerers: 8 (from Dragon Drinker to Words of Power Sorcerer)
- Spiritualists: 9 (from Drowned Channeler to Zeitgeist Binder)
- Summoners: 16 (from Blood God Disciple to Words of Power Summoner)
Character Compendium 9
- Samurai: 1 (Sword Saint)
- Swashbucklers: 16 (from Arrow Champion to Wildstrider)
- Vigilantes: 13 (from Agathiel to Zealot)
- Warpriests: 13 (from Champion of the Faith to Shieldbearer)
- Witches: 20 (from Alley Witch to Wyrmwitch)
- Wizards: 13 (from Arcane Bomber to Words of Power Wizard)
- Rogues: 2 (Filcher, Skulking Slayer)
Character Compendium 10: Prestige Classes
- NPC Classes: 5
- Prestige Classes: 50 (from Arcane Archer to Ulfen Guard)
- Unchained Classes: 4 (from Unchained Barbarian to Unchained Summoner)
Character Compendium 11: Races
- Race Examples: 55 (from Aasimar to Wyvaran, one NPC for each race)
- Race-Based Archetypes: 49 (from Airborne Ambusher to Wishcrafter)
These options will be available via BackerKit survey following the conclusion of the Kickstarter campaign. You can add this amount to your Kickstarter pledge for convenience, or add it in BackerKit afterwards, if you're interested.
- $75: Design an NPC: Provide as much input as you'd like, and I'll complete the design for a fully-quad-statted NPC that will be included in the volume of your choice. Your input can be as little as a name, or as comprehensive as as full character sheet.
- $175: Design an NPC w/Illustration: As Design an NPC, but I will coordinate with an artist to commission a full-color illustration for your character.
The Fine Print
Tidbits, guidelines, and other interesting information you may wish to consider before backing:
- All counts listed above are subject to change (except for CC1 and CC2, which are published already).
- It will take a while to produce the remaining nine tomes. This Kickstarter is a long-term commitment from me to you (to produce handcrafted and ultra-detailed character crunch), and from you to me (your patience!), that I guarantee will be worth your pledge dollar. When, however, is not something I can accurately predict!
- Artwork: I would love, LOVE, LOVE to have full-color art for each and every of the thousand-or-so characters. That is fiscally and logistically impossible, unfortunately. These are crunch books, first and foremost... and, as a result, art will be minimal. Check out the published Volumes 1 and 2 to get a feel for what's in store.
- Each book's PDF will be delivered immediately upon completion.
- All digital product delivery will be done via DriveThruRPG/RPGnow/OneBookShelf.
- All PDFs and hardcopies will be full-color unless otherwise indicated.
- Any pledge that entitles you to Product X in hardcopy also automatically entitles you to Product X in PDF/digital format.
- Already-published products will be fulfilled shortly after the campaign's completion.
- All other products will be fulfilled as they are published.
- "Estimated Delivery" dates for all pledges and rewards are just that: estimates. These also reflect the earliest anticipated publication.
Risks and challenges
The major risk is time: IGS is almost entirely a one-man shop, and that one man has three young children and a full-time day job. I devote literally every spare minute of downtime to IGS, and to making our products the absolute best, most impressive, and most valuable/usable books I can conceive of, but that devotion to quality amidst other demands takes time.
I will deliver. And I hope you agree that it will be more than worth the wait and pledge dollar. But my estimates as to when are just that: estimates. If you're comfortable with getting what I try to make world-class indie RPG books for a significant discount, and don't mind waiting a bit, then please consider pledging, supporting, and helping to make the results even more awesome!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (26 days)