TL;DR: The Value Proposition
Simply put: If you want to get on board with Dark Obelisk, or if you are playing any Pathfinder or 5E adventure that involves any city and want a way of fleshing out some detail, this book will be valuable to you.
This product is a massive, 600+ page full-color PDF and hardcover roleplaying supplement that will enhance any Pathfinder or 5E campaign in any setting.
Berinncorte Basecamp: Before & After will be a richly detailed hardcover gaming sourcebook, and companion to one of the most ambitious and massive indie RPG adventures in recent memory. Finally, if you're new to it, this campaign is the quickest, easiest, and best-value way to get on board with what will be about 1,500 pages of adventure.
Huzzah, we're funded! Time to reach for the stars.
Those who were around for the Dark Obelisk 2 Kickstarter know that my ideas are voluminous, and I feel my backers are the best--their generosity is in parallel with the creativity I aspire to.
As with that campaign--which ended up unlocking twenty (20!) Stretch Goals--each time a listed Stretch Goal is unlocked, I will continue to add additional Stretch Goals.
- UNLOCKED! $2,000: The Sin Furnace of Arghastar: Deep within an otherwise unassuming gnomish village lies a dark and fiery pit, within which the bodies and effects of evil citizens and beasts are destroyed forever, lest they rise again. An underground black-market economy thrives, though, in the grim business of intercepting that which would otherwise be annihilated. A standalone 200-300+ page hardcover adventure and city setting set in the Western Realm that can be pursued independent of the events of Dark Obelisk. A separate Premium Atlas will also be published for this setting.
- UNLOCKED! $2,500: Free Map Pack #1: Ultra-hi-resolution digital files for Berinncorte Basecamp and Sin Furnace will be included free for all backers of Citizen level or higher.
- UNLOCKED! $3,000: Mistdelve City: This village's namesake is a thin layer of semiboyant fog, atop which float magically-suspended platforms on which settlements and buildings have been constructed. Introduces a form of 3D movement and combat, too. Limited visibility and three-dimensional movement make for quite an enchanting--and perilous--environment, lush with interesting characters, new weapons, equipment, spells, and monsters! Dozens of quests, NPCs, and a huge array of intricately-designed maps that interrelate in clearly-defined ways. This standalone city setting is a 200-300+ page hardcover, for which a Premium Atlas will certainly be produced. A separate Premium Atlas will also be published for this setting... and perhaps moreso than every other one, will be a huge asset!
- UNLOCKED! $3,500: Free Map Pack #2: Ultra-hi-resolution digital files for Mistdelve City will be included free for all backers of Citizen level or higher.
- UNLOCKED! $4,000: Greatsnake Compound: A city, a fortress, and a countryside: Greatsnake Compound is a a 50-foot-wide wide ribbon of fortress wall in a meandering oval a few miles in diameter, inside which rests the farmland of the country. 20 to 60 feet tall at various parts, the perimeter wall from which the compound derives its name serves as political center, military barracks, and all manner of structure. Essentially, this is a city turned inside out--no interior buildings to speak of, as all of its citizens reside in the Greatsnake. This 300+ page hardcover book explores the history and current state of Greatsnake Compound, its curious political autonomy, its citizens, and dozens of quests. Part sandbox, part intrigue- and investigation-based central plot, this book is a wonderful resource for any campaign setting. An enormous and essential companion Premium Atlas & Map Pack will also be published.
- UNLOCKED! $4,500: Free Map Pack #3: Ultra-hi-resolution digital files for Greatsnake Compound will be included free for all backers of Citizen level or higher.
- $5,000: Free Premium Atlases: All Citizen-level backers will get not only the ultra-hi-resolution digital map files for the Free Map Packs, but for each Free Map Pack, you'll also get the PDF of the Premium Atlas associated with those products.
- $5,000: The Pit of Hope: Of humble origins, this fabled arena has grown over the centuries, and is now a sport center renowned across the Realm as a place where glory, gold, and life may be wagered and won. The titular Pit is actually a highly sophisticated combat arena, hosting gladitorial matches, army training, and in an innovative twist, small-scale militia battles with real sociopolitical stakes that bind the combatants' home nations to the verdict of the battle results. The Pit of Hope is center and hub to a large supporting citystate dedicated to sport combat and entertainment, with the thriving nightlife, underlife, and political intrigue one might expect. A series of mini-adventures and quests round out this 200+ page hardcover book, describing the Pit of Hope, combat events, the citystate around the Pit, NPCs, and society in this unique environment.
- $5,500: Free Map Pack #4: You guessed it, free map pack for The Pit of Hope.
- $6,000: Barrowton: Nestled among the picturesque hills and sweeping valleys of the northwest Realm is a venerable society whose burial grounds are elevated above their living areas, in the theory that those who fall, rise again as spirits to enjoy a deserved and earned afterlife among the skies. Underneath the mortal cairns, however, the dead have indeed risen... but have formed their own twisted forces in a macabre farce of the town's religious stories. Exploring the sometimes-thin line between religious theory and necromantic practice, this city-setting and huge adventure encompasses the entire broad village of Barrowton and its surrounding burial "Rises", and includes detailed NPCs, dozens of Quests, a main adventure plotline, new monsters, and much, much more.
- $6,500: Free Map Pack #5: Yup, Barrowton.
Stretch Goals: Who Gets What?
Completionst and Hardened Completionist pledge levels automatically receive unlocked Stretch Goals unless otherwise noted. Both get PDFs in Pathfinder and 5E format; Hardened Completionist gets hardcopies as well, with shipping included. So as with the DO2 KS, there's a point at which these pledge levels become truly insane values.
Other than that, I've added pledge levels that should help clarify who gets what... basically, once stuff gets unlocked, you probably want to up your pledge.
I'll be using BackerKit after the campaign ends to handle "a la carte" additions for upcoming products you might want without committing to the expensive Completionist pledge levels.
If you know you want additional products in our pipeline, it's easiest to increase your pledge amount now; that way, I'll count the extra contribution toward the totals to determine how many additional Stretch Goals get added!
Here are sample prices for upcoming products... subject to change between now and when the BackerKit goes out. "PDF" means you get both Pathfinder and 5E; "HC" means you get those PDFs plus a hardcopy, with shipping included.
It should be noted that prices listed for PDFs are probably at least half-off (50%), and hardcopy prices here will end up being pretty much at-cost. Check out the IGS websitefor cover pix, descriptions, and anticipated publication dates.
- Design an NPC ($75)
- Design an NPC, w/Quest and likely future storyline involvement ($125)
- Berinncorte Basecamp (extra HC; $40)
- Dark Obelisk 1 (Adventure Book plus Dramatis Personae & Bestiary) ($20 PDF, $60 HC)
- Dark Obelisk 2: The Mondarian Elective ($10 PDF, $40 HC)
- Aquilae: Bestiary of the Realm ($10 PDF, $40 HC)
- Western Realm Gazetteer ($10 PDF, $35 HC)
- Druid Enclave setting book ($10 PDF, $35 HC)
- FlexTale Encounter Generator ($10 PDF, $25 HC)
- Dark Obelisk 2: Bridge Module to DO3 ($10 PDF, $15 HC)
- Library Vitae adventure ($10 PDF, $30 HC)
- Dark Harbor adventure & fiction novella ($10 PDF, $30 HC)
- Echoes of Time Forgotten adventure ($10 PDF, $30 HC)
- Artifacts & Artifice campaign resource ($10 PDF, $20 HC)
- Fire & Gold prologue adventure to the next Adventure Path ($10 PDF, $30 HC)
- Northern Mountain Adventure (actual title TBD, $10 PDF, $30 HC)
- The Highest Form of Flattery adventure ($10 PDF, $30 HC)
- Prior Lives backstory adventures ($10 PDF, $35 HC)
- Aquilae: Pantheon & Tribute ($10 PDF, $35 HC)
- Husks ruined city mini-adventures ($10 PDF, $30 HC)
- Grim Tokens adventure ($10 PDF, $30 HC)
- Premium Atlas & Map Packs: These will be produced for nearly every product above. $5 PDF, $20 HC each. Includes ultra-hi-res image files of every map in both GM and Player formats for DTT / VTT play, as well as a separate PDF / hardcopy that's immensely useful as a GM resource during play.
Writing and design are underway. The book is already over 400 pages long. Looking to end up being more in the 500-700 page range now... meaning the hardcopy pledge levels will end up being a massive discount off of retail!
It's already got 60 NPCs, 55 monsters, 4 Villainous characters... each with Quadded Statblocks, meaning nearly 500 creatures to insert into your Pathfinder or 5E campaign. And more are planned!
An enormous resource for any Pathfinder or 5E campaign!
Background & Overview
Dark Obelisk 1 was planned to be a 64-page softcover urban adventure. After a successful Kickstarter campaign, and months of development, it evolved into a 1,000-page mega adventure with more than 50 NPCs, delivered in the form of two massive hardcover books.
Dark Obelisk 2 was planned to be a modest continuation of the adventure path. In the course of its KS campaign, it saw a tenfold increase in funding, and more than a dozen Stretch Goals
One of these Stretch Goals was "Berinncorte Basecamp", intended as a ~64-100-page softcover that describes the environment immediately outside the city of Berinncorte in the wake of events that unfold during Dark Obelisk 1. It was meant mainly as a bit of "glue" to marry DO1 together with DO2, should the PCs wish to spend a bit more time near the city before embarking upon their next major adventure.
This Kickstarter Campaign
One of the main criticisms of Dark Obelisk 1 is that it railroaded PCs into a single city. Berinncorte is a lush and detailed village in which you could spend over a dozen gaming sessions exploring everything to do... but it's not unrealistic for the PCs to want to try and leave at some point prior to the adventure's climax!
This Kickstarter campaign is an opportunity to enhance the content of Berinncorte Basecamp, expanding it to be a true "before and after" companion to the events of Dark Obelisk 1. The expanded Berinncorte Basecamp: Before & After would provide rich description and details for the countryisde surrounding the city both after the events of DO1, and before. Instead of a 100-page softcover, the resulting city setting sourcebook will be a 300-500 page full-color hardcover.
This is also an opportunity for those who may have missed other Kickstarters to join in the effort--funds raised from the highest pledge levels will be used to enhance Dark Obelisk 2, currently in development.
It's a setting sourcebook that describes the area outside of the city of Berinncorte, both before and after the cataclysmic events of the DO1 adventure.
It's intended as a companion to Dark Obelisk 1: Berinncorte. But since Berinncorte is intentionally a typical, medium-sized medeival fantasy city/village, all content should be easily applicable to any campaign or gaming group.
- Maps: Likely a dozen full-color, richly-detailed maps describing the surrounding area on all sides of the city, in both GM and Player variants.
- NPCs: 59 lavishly-detailed characters from the DO1 adventure, plus more new ones: Travelers, merchants, etc.
- Monsters: A complete mini-bestiary, complete with Quadded Statblocks that support play at any level of difficulty.
- Villains: The handful of villains from the DO1 adventure didn't have a lot to do, other than scare the living daylights out of the PCs. Learn a bit more about their backstory, undertake quests to research their nature, and understand why they're much more terrifying than merely a formidable set of stats that would likely crush the PCs.
- Quests: More Quests = more gooder. Not only are Quests and subplots and side-adventures fun and add character to the proceedings, it's a good way for a gaming group to beef up their party if they happened to finish DO1 a bit "under-leveled".
- GM- and Player-Friendly Formats: Every single map comes in a GM version with full annotation, and a "redacted" Players version that hides secrets and references and is just more of a battlemap. In addition, each version of each map is included as a separate, ultra-high-resolution image file, for use with DTT/VTT gaming tools or just to print out at larger size. Finally, every PDF comes in a print-friendly version with a full-color parchment watermark background, and a smaller-filesize mobile-friendly version with a white background. Check out some examples below.
Who Gets What
Many DO1, DO2, and EPC project backers will already automatically receive the results based on their existing pledge commitments. Because they're all awesome, and believed in me early on.
In other words, those backers currently set to receive the Berinncorte Basecamp PDF and/or softcover will instead receive the expanded Berinncorte Basecamp: Before & After PDF and/or hardcover book at no extra cost. (Conversely, if you've backed a project of mine, but for whatever reason don't qualify for a copy of BB, then you won't automatically get a copy of the expanded book. Don't remember for sure if you do or do not get BB? Just PM me and I'll be happy to look it up.)
Just increase your pledge amount if you want to take advantage of one of these options.
$5 Dual-Format PDF: Get both Pathfinder and 5E versions of any PDF(s) you're entitled to. You still only get any applicable hardcopies in a single format of your choice.
Note that the top reward tier already includes PDFs in both formats, so no need for you ultra-elite awesome backers to boost your pledge.
Fulfillment Timing & Hardcopy Shipping
Shipping for hardcopy fulfillment will take place in consolidated "phases". All Dark Obelisk 1 products, for example, will ship together once they're all done.
PDF fulfillment is instantaneous with products' completion. Shortly after the campaign wraps up, PDF fulfillment will take place for all products that are already published; thereafter, you'll receive each product you're entitled to as soon as it's available. The Pathfinder edition of a product is typically published before the 5E conversion.
All product fulfillment will take place via RPGnow; if you're backing and don't already have an account, I recommend creating one. It's free.
Completionist Pledge Level Content
"Completionist" pledge levels (PDF-only and hardcopy) include every single Infinium Game Studio product published, and currently planned in the product pipeline, as of this Kickstarter. These pledge levels are crazy deals, and include shipping; they're essentially better-than-at-cost discounts!
Check the IGS website for more information on these products, and their planned release schedule.
This includes all of the following:
- Dark Obelisk 1: Adventure Book
- Dark Obelisk 1: Dramatis Personae & Bestiary
- Dark Obelisk 1: Players' Guide
- Dark Obelisk 1: Berinncorte Basecamp Before & After
- Dark Obelisk 1: Extended Pregenerated Characters for Pathfinder
- Dark Obelisk 1: Pregenerated Characters for 5E
- Dark Obelisk 2: The Mondarian Elective
- Dark Obelisk 2: Players' Guide
- Dark Obelisk 2: Pregenerated Characters for Pathfinder
- Dark Obelisk 2: Pregenerated Characters for 5E
- Druid Enclave setting book
- Artifacts & Artifice magical item sourcebook
- Western Realm Gazetteer
- Western Realm Players' Guide
- Aquilae: Pantheon & Tribute
- Echoes of Time Forgotten module
- Library Vitae module
- Dark Harbor fiction novella
- Dark Harbor module
- Northern Mountain Adventure
- Prior Lives adventure book
- The Highest Form of Flattery adventure
- Husks ruined city settings book
- Grim Tokens adventure
- Aquilae: Bestiary of the Realm
- FlexTale Encounter Generator
- DO3 Bridge Module
- Fire & Gold module
Premium Atlases & Map Packs
Almost every single book listed above will also have a Premium Atlas & Map Pack. The Map Pack is a set of high-resolution image files for each and every map in the book, useful for printing at large size or for vitual/digital tabletop games. The Premium Atlas is a separate PDF and premium-quality hardcopy book listing every map. In both cases, there is no truly new content that's not already in the main adventure or setting book.
Having run Dark Obelisk 1 with my gaming group, I can attest that both GMs and players benefit hugely from the convenience of having maps as a separate tool.
Unless otherwise noted, only PDFs of these are included in pledge rewards.
Risks and challenges
None, really. Man, I hope that doesn't jinx anything.
Berinncorte Basecamp is already in development, and about 75% of the content is already created. This campaign, if successful, will add a good amount of additional content beyond that.
Extending things will, as I've said, take a bit of extra time, but it's using an established process that I'm quite comfortable with and that has next to zero risk implementing.
So barring a natural disaster, I can pretty much guarantee this will happen. It's just a matter of how long it takes me to finish!
As with everything else I do, how long it takes is a function of the competing elements of my life: two kids, a family, a full-time day job, stupid bodily requirement to get more than 3 hours of sleep a night... that sort of thing.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (60 days)