Summary: A Behemoth Bestiary, in 8 Parts
I'll keep this short and sweet: This project is the largest, most ambitious, Bestiary in RPG history. It was already the biggest Bestiary of all time during its original Kickstarter run; this "Extended" project grows it by another 800 monsters.
It will result in a crazy horde of content, usable in any game or campaign setting for Pathfinder or 5E:
- ~1,300 unique monsters.
- ~5,200 total statblocks.
- Quadded Statblocks: Every single monster can be fielded in any adventure of the GM/DM's choosing: thanks to the miracle of this approach (check out the free PDF), each monster comes with 4 distinct stat blocks, covering a wide spread of difficulty levels.
- 8 massive PDFs.
- 8 massive, full-color, hardcover books.
- ~3,900 pages of total planned content.
- A GM/DM's dream come true of immediately-playable, insanely-versatile monster content!
For ABR Backers: Welcome Back!
A quick summary of what's going on here:
- If you're entitled to PDFs of "ABR Vol 1 & 2", sit back and relax; you'll get ABR: Extended PDFs for FREE. If you want to upgrade to the hardcovers for all six volumes, pledge at the confusingly-worded "Returning, Newly-Hardened Zookeeper" level.
- If you're not entitled to PDFs of "ABR Vol 1 & 2", pledge at "Returning Aquilae Zookeeper" to get them at a discount.
- If you're entitled to hardcopies of "ABR Vol 1 & 2", and want hardcopies of all 6 ABR: Extended books, pledge at "Returning Hardened Zookeeper" to get them at a discount. If you want to stick with just the two books of OGL beasties, do nothing; you'll still get them.
More detailed version at the verrrrrry bottom of this project description.
So This Was ALREADY a Kickstarter?
Yes. My most successful one, in fact. But my ambition being what it is, I always wanted to have a full suite of every monster I could get my hands on... hence this project, which balloons the list of monsters from 400 to 1,200.
I've already gotten a ton of supportive responses from backers of the original ABR, and so here we are.
Eight books will be produced:
- ABR: Extended is a six-book set, and will focus on a complete panoply of OGL and related critters, and will contain about 1,200 monsters in total. These are many of the beasties common to fantasy RPGs you know and love. Fundamental building blocks of combat and encounters, beloved monstrosities. (In the original campaign, this was only a two-volume set, and was called "ABR Volumes 1 & 2".)
- ABR: Monsters of Aquilae will contain new, unique monsters, distinct to the realm of Aquiae, the campaign setting of the Dark Obelisk adventures and related products. (In the original campaign, this was titled "ABR Volume 3".)
- ABR: Volume 4: Incarnae of Aquilae: Whereas Golems and Elementals tend to be physical qualities given a mobile, semi-sentient form, Incarna are coalesced physical manifestations of abstract concepts and phenomena--psychological qualities, feelings, thoughts, and so on. Lust, revenge, regret, rage, greed... these are the tip of the iceberg. Includes Incantatnions of Incarnae, a chapter describing rules on how to create an Incarna. (This was unlocked as a Stretch Goal in the original campaign.)
- Add-On: ABR: OSRIC / Swords & Wizardry Edition: This will encompass all ~1,250 monsters in ABR: Extended and ABR: Monsters of Aquilae, and will be published in PDF and as a two-book set. PDF automatically included as part of the Crunchmaster pledge levels, but the hardcovers will be Add-On only.
The below is for 5E; the PFRPG version will be similar visually, but by nature, more complex:
This layout is from the 5E edition of Dark Obelisk 2:
OGL / Basic Monster Content?
Why Should I Care?
Well, the main reason is that it's not just 1,200 monsters... it's actually 4,800. Far beyond what you might be able to put your hands on for free online.
That's because each and every critter gets the Quadded Statblock treatment. You may know the Ankheg, for example, as a CR 3 creature, and as a GM, might throw it up against PCs of level 1-5. But what if your adventurers are higher level?
ABR: Extended will have stats to field Ankhegs all the way up to CR 16, enough challenge for PCs of virtually any level. Four Ankhegs, specifically, at CR 3, CR 8, CR 12, and CR 16.
Due to the overwhelming initial success of this campaign, I've added some Stretch Goals, as follows:
- UNLOCKED! $6,000: Master Index: A dedicated master index of all 1,300+ monsters across all eight books in this campaign (ABRE six books, ABR: Monsters of Aquilae, and ABR: Incarnae of Aquilae). PDF FREE to all backers (even Lurkers!); $15 Add-On softcover.
- UNLOCKED! $7,000: Extended Index: Converts the softcover Add-On to hardcover.
- UNLOCKED! $8,000: Enhanced Extended Index: Adds indexes by CR/HD, by Type, by Book, by AI Type/Role, by Terrain/Environment, by Size, and by Alignment.
- UNLOCKED! $10,000: Additional MoA Creatures. Adds +5 more custom, brand-new monsters to the Monsters of Aquilae book at no additional cost to those backers entitled to it as part of their pledges.
- $12,000: Even MORE MoA Creatures. Adds +5 more custom, brand-new monsters to the Monsters of Aquilae book at no additional cost to those backers entitled to it as part of their pledges.
These will be available as part of the BackerKit process following the KS camapign. You can add to your pledge total now in KS, or wait until BK afterwards; your call. I generally use the KS total to inform what Stretch Goals are unlocked, so it might be more beneficial to add now.
- Monsters of Aquilae: $25 PDF; $45 full-color hardcover.
- Incarnae of Aquilae: $20 PDF; $45 full-color hardcover.
- ABR: Extended, OSRIC / 1E / S&W Edition: $10 PDF, $80 two-book full-color hardcover set.
- FlexTale Encounter Generator (FTEG): Free PDF to all pledge levels; $25 hardcover.
- Dark Obelisk 1 Character Compendium (Pathfinder only): $20 PDF, $35 hardcover & PDF. This book of 419 pregenerated characters.
- Dark Obelisk 2 Character Compendium (Pathfinder only): $20 PDF, $35 hardcover & PDF. The upcoming book of ~400 pregenerated characters as described in this KS campaign.
- Dark Obelisk 2 Villainous Compendium (Pathfinder only): $20 PDF, $35 hardcover & PDF. Upcoming book of 10-50 villains and henchmen and monstrous characters, as described in this KS campaign.
Returning ABR Project Backers: Recommendations
You've all received an Update to this effect, but here's a summary of what I'd recommend if you backed ABR, but want to get the very most from ABR:E. It's confusing as heck and I get that, but I wanted to make sure you early-adopters got a good deal, hence all of the myriad options.
Feel free to message me and I'll help clarify anything that's too obtuse. Thanks again!
So here's a list of what I'd recommend, based on your pledge level. If it says "do nothing; you're good", that means you'll get the new content in the same format you had opted for previously. So for example, Beastmasters will automatically get the extra new four books of ABR:E for free in PDF, so no action required to make sure you get the new stuff.
If you are entitled to ABR Volumes 1 & 2 in PDF via the original Kickstarter, BUT, you now want hardcovers of the six books of ABR:E, pledge at the annoyingly-worded "Returning, Newly-Hardened Zookeeper" pledge level.
- Mondarian Patron: Do nothing; you're good.
Zoo Patron: Do nothing; you're good.
Beastmaster: Do nothing; you're good.
Reticulated Beastmaster: Do nothing; you're good.
- Aquilae Patron: Pledge at "Returning Aquilae Zookeeper" to get PDFs of ABR:E.
Hardened Aquilae Patron: Pledge at "New Hardened Zookeeper" to get ABR:E in hardcover.
Hardened Zoo Patron: Pledge at "Returning Hardened Zookeeper" to get the four new volumes in ABR:E in hardcover.
- Hardened Mondarian Patron: Pledge at "Returning Hardened Zookeeper" to get the four new volumes in ABR:E in hardcover.
Hardened Beastmaster: Pledge at "Returning Hardened Zookeeper" to get the four new volumes in ABR:E in hardcover.
- Xenophile: Pledge at "Returning Hardened Zookeeper" to get the four new volumes in ABR:E in hardcover.
- Hardened Reticulated Beastmaster: Pledge at "Returning Hardened Zookeeper", and add $160, to get the four new volumes in ABR:E in hardcover, in both rules formats.
Risks and challenges
Time. I can guarantee that it'll be completed, and worth the wait and worth your pledge dollar; I cannot in any way guarantee *when* it will be delivered! Any dates listed or mentioned are guidelines, like the Pirate Code... they shouldn't be taken as written in stone (or indeed, too seriously!).
IGS strives to make the best possible indie RPG gaming products we can. As a result, we tend to err on the side of "late but great": an excellent product when it's done, as opposed to an okay product immediately.
The good news is that the books we've already published, and the ones that are currently being worked on, include tons of monster content that will be leveraged for this project. To wit, about 12% of the content is already created.
So barring a natural disaster, I can pretty much guarantee this will happen. It's just a matter of how long it takes me to finish!
As with everything else I do, how long it takes is a function of the competing elements of my life: three kids, a family, a full-time day job, stupid bodily requirement to get more than 3 hours of sleep a night... that sort of thing.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)