What is the Indus Hiking Stick?
The Indus Hiking Stick is a high performance trekking pole made from discarded carbon composite golf shafts, unused technical fabric from ski and snowboard apparel, and other recycled & up-cycled materials.
Indus represents two beliefs – reincarnation and karma – rolled together into one philosophy: Reinkarmation. The Indus Hiking Stick is the first in a line of extraordinary outdoor products that embody this philosophy – a product born out of the ashes of discarded and unused industrial materials.
Our trekking pole isn’t just eco-efficient. Decades of product design experience and expertise enable us to design a performance product that is highly functional, undeniably cool looking, and touches on the soul that makes the outdoors great.
Indus Hiking Stick features:
- Carbon composite shafts create ultra lightweight poles that reduce vibration, provide flexibility and retain strength over a wide temperature range.
- Stylish, recycled rubber grips that are contoured to fit multiple hold positions optimized for varying terrain and hand sizes. Warning: they may be the coolest looking grips you and anyone around you have ever laid eyes on
- All-in-one “flip tip”; flip up for a metal exposed tip, flip down for plastic toes that offer more grip and a slightly larger footprint
- Protective coating at the base of the pole to protect it from abrasion/laceration
- Every stick is one-of-a-kind! Instead of costly graphics that bear wasteful materials and processes, our shafts feature a unique, raw finish due to the results of our paint-stripping process and quietly stamped with our Indus badge, keeping our product as eco-friendly as possible
- Low-mounted reclaimed wrist strap; more out of the way, easier to let go and use your hands
- Assembled using same glues and tapes used in the golf industry; proven, durable, and reliable
- 3X LIFETIME guarantee. We guarantee the sticks for three generations of use. If the Indus stick breaks or malfunctions, for any reason during your lifetime, the life of your children, or the life your grandchildren—send it back and we will immediately replace it with a new one to prevent any lapse in your hiking enjoyment.
Reclaimed, up-cycled, and recycled materials shouldn’t have to cost more or compromise the quality or functionality of a product. So it’s our goal that the Indus Hiking Stick outperforms and outlasts all other hiking sticks and trekking poles on the market - at a lower cost.
Why we made them.
We love the outdoors, our environment, and the people we share it with. When we are not designing, we love to be outside – hiking, camping, surfing, etc. Our love of the outdoors was a main driving force behind launching this outdoor product. Second, we believe in the philosophies of reincarnation and karma. Contrary to what some say, industry can be responsible. As designers, we want to set an example and find ways to limit the amount of waste industry creates – helping conserve our beautiful planet. Indus is a way for us to do that.
Why are we raising funds?
We’ve already put our own funds, blood, sweat, and tears into the product to get it designed and prototyped and ready for production. We are raising funds to cover tooling costs for the recycled handles and tips of our walking sticks. Tooling is expensive, but it’s a necessary one-time cost to get these extraordinary products out to the people. Once the tooling is finished and manufacturing of our custom handles and tips are underway, our product assembly process is laid out and ready to rock. We plan to assemble and fulfill our hiking sticks orders in-house for the first 5,000 pieces, so we fully understand the quality standards required for the highest quality product. Then, once streamlined and benchmarked, we will seek a more efficient, higher volume assembly process to both acquire more golf shafts and assemble and pack the products for fulfillment.
Risks and challenges
Delivering high level product design, manufacturing and shipment, quality control, and customer satisfaction involves risk. It ain't easy to do. However, we've been in the design business for years and have been through the process many times. We're confident assuming these risks.
Furthermore, we love to hike. And we've tested the heck out of this product. Between hiking and backpacking in the Sierra Nevadas and California Coastal mountains, we absolutely stand behind the strength and quality of the design.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (60 days)