Initiative | Aerospace Business & Mars Colonization Manager
Manage your aerospace company on Earth, establish off-planet bases and make human life interplanetary by colonizing Mars
Initiative | Aerospace Business & Mars Colonization Manager
Manage your aerospace company on Earth, establish off-planet bases and make human life interplanetary by colonizing Mars
Initiative will be a groundbreaking aerospace business manager. It brings a never seen before blend between strategy, management and science determined by:
- Realistic technology and science achieved with the advice and consult of over 30 aerospace industry specialists
- Player-driven world economy: use the forces of the market to your gain in an economy driven by players supply and demand of resources, money, rocket parts, techs and modules.
- Each match is unique thanks to unique content which brings hours of non-repetitive gameplay
- Play it the way you like it: compete online within our ladder system or local single player vs AI
Apart from that, Initiative will allow you to:
- Reshape the future of mankind by becoming the first to establish a self-sustainable colony on Mars
- Become a famous strategic and political leader by leading our ladder system
- Steal technology, sabotage buildings and even poach other player's Talents
- Discover advanced technologies to build rockets and planetary modules
- Mine asteroids from your Moon outpost and perform advanced experiments on your space station
Initiative brings together a gameplay you've never seen in a single game. It's going to be fun, it's going to be new, and it's going to be unique.
Join us while we create a new game genre.
500 years from now, Martians will venerate the one person who made their generation possible... And that person could be you.
The challenge is to be the first to reach 25,000 colonists on the red planet with no need to send resources from Earth.
To be first, there are many challenges to overcome:
- You'll need to prove yourself as a true leader of your own company by scouting, hiring and maintaining each Talent on your payroll
- You'll need to be a great manager to grow your aerospace company balancing the finances, resources, reputation and overall happiness
- You must become a strategist by choosing your path through technology research, parts manufacturing, rocket design, and even which buildings to construct
- You'll have to be a great businessman to know which contracts to acquire and how to organize your launch manifests by optimizing your cargo, living or not
And you must be all of this better than the rest, to become the first human being in history to establish a self-sustainable colony on Mars.
The following are the main features planned for this first version of the game. We do have great ideas for the future, though. This is just the beginning:
Compete against other players on our ladder system or single player vs AI. Starting with the bare minimum, you must quickly grow and standout from the rest.
In-game notifications will let you know when important milestones have been reached by another player, such as a first successful launch towards Mars. You'll also have important statistics to know how many players are already capable of sending stuff to the red planet.
Mars can be colonized with many intentions. Some to provide mankind with a new opportunity, other for something else. Your intentions may be good, but the next player may use every shady tactic to get to Mars first and exploit what could be humanity's next home.
Build your home base choosing which buildings to construct or upgrade to better fit your strategy.
And add decorations to make it unique. Do you want a profitable space tourism business? Make sure you build the Visitor's Center as early as possible!
Each empty spot is available for you to construct a building. You'll have dozens to choose from. Some generate science, others money, others rocket parts. Spaces are limited so part of your strategy will be to choose which ones to build and which ones to upgrade.
You are managing a billion dollar company, and that's not something you can do on your own. You will need a team of talented people to work for you. Assemble your team by hiring the Talents you need for your company.
The Initiative Talent Network is an in-game network with hundreds of unique NPC Talents to hire. It is shared, so once a Talent is hired by someone else, it's no longer available to work for you.
Talents are unique and immutable. If you enjoyed one, make sure to hire the same again before anyone else on the next match. Their stats and skills will always begin being be the same.
Initiative features a deep technology tree organized into four different branches:
- Propulsion and Avionics: Covers rocket engines and electronics, among other important stuff
- Propellents and Energy: Mostly involves fuel tanks, propellents, energy generation and storage
- Structures and Support: Covers spacecraft, satellites and modules for your interplanetary bases
- Strategy and Management: A key category which will allow you to manage your business more efficiently, as well as make you stronger among other players to defend from attacks
Technology decisions are deeply tied to your strategy. Do you want to speed up with expendable (and expensive) boosters? Or do you want to achieve full reusability?
You can't go wrong, but make sure your overall strategy lines up with these choices.
Design your own rockets. Choose the combination of stages with multiple add-ons, like grid fins and legs to improve reusability, that better fits the missions you want to perform.
Do you want to send an astronaut to the Space Station? Or do you want to send provisions to your Mars colony? Perhaps you need to expand your Moon outpost by adding an additional sleeping quarters.
Launching rockets is your company's main reason to exist. Fulfill contracts such as deploying satellites or performing zero-gravity experiments. Mount a profitable space tourism industry, build off-earth bases and send colonists to Mars.
You will see the very same rockets you've built up and away and you can monitor all of them from your mission control center.
Deploy satellites to Low Earth Orbit, increase your Moon outpost's energy cap and send a solar panel module, or expand your colony in the red planet with improved Mars habitats.
Contracts are your main source of income, and what will allow you to pursue your own private interest of establishing your Mars colony. They are given by NPC governments and private entities, and by other players as well.
Your reputation is a key variable governments and private entities will closely pay attention to before agreeing to a contract. Increase it with successful launches, fulfilling contracts in time and by executing a great marketing and social media campaign.
Do you need a quick refill on your space station's oxygen supply and are tied up sending stuff to your Moon outpost? Put up a contract for other player to grab and fulfill!
Sabotage buildings, steal science and poach talents are some of the shady tactics you'll have at your disposal.
The security building will enable your security and enhance it further, alongside all the tools you'll need to unleash your power.
Send out a saboteur to stall another player's launch at the exact moment and get an edge.
Not everything takes place on Earth. Before reaching to Mars, you will be able to establish off-planet bases such as your own space station and a moon outpost.
Many modules will become available to you as you advanced on your technology research to expand and improve your off-planet settlements.
Send up a brand new lab module to your space station to further enhance your science output and research faster, or mine asteroids from your moon outpost to gather valuable resources.
The galaxy's economy is driven entirely by market forces. This means what you do matters and affects you and other players experience.
Besides money, many elements on Initiative require 3 special resources to be built: Plastics, Metals and Alloys.
These can be obtained in the Procurement Building or through random auction events.
The Procurement Building allows you to define a budget and distribute it for each of the three resources based on your needs.
As most elements in the game, prices are driven by player's supply and demand, so purchase when low and sell when on high to make an additional income.
When one resource is being purchased more than other, it's price will begin to go up. Monitor the market trends, buy low and stock up, and use or sell when high.
We are creating a brand new genre, with a well thought, harmonized and perfect mix of RTS, RPG and sim games.
The key ingredient is the involvement of many aerospace industry specialists providing technical advice and consulting on the technologies of the game.
And we'd like to extend our gratitude to the following for their input and help:
Wether you are on Earth or Mars, music adds spice to life. That's why we commisioned the multiple award winner composer Demian Rudel Rey to create beautiful tunes for you to chill during your experience with us.
Demian has worked as composer and sound designer in many video games worldwide.
Demian has received prizes and mentions in more than 25 international competitions. Also, his works have been played in over 40 worldwide festivals.
With great pride, he has been recently accepted in the prestigious Conservatoire National Supérieur Musique et Danse at Lyon for a Masters in Instrumental Composition.
Here's a taste of the masterpiece he is composing:
Initiative will release with full localization support. English language will be initially included. Spanish, French, German, Italian, Chinese and Japanese are achievable through stretch goals:
The game will be delivered for the Windows and Mac platforms, with a stretch goal that will allow us to include the Linux platform as well:
We have been space enthusiast all of our lives. And things got exciting when we realized we were living a space age and a time where the idea of putting a man on Mars is not futuristic, but a close reality.
We started to develop this game in our own spare time with no expectations other than to play it. We are hardcore gamers and game developers which is a dangerous combination. The idea kept growing and becoming more interesting and more real.
We went to a conference by Miguel San Martin, NASA' s JPL Chief Engineer of Propulsion, Guidance and Control Systems for the Curiosity Mission (and many others). He talked about landing on Mars, the challenges and the excitement.
We stayed with him for over two hours talking about space, humanity, politics, and many other subjects. The day ended with an open invitation to the JPL at Pasadena. It was a dream come true, and not an opportunity we wanted to let pass by.
And so, we went.
He received us and gave us an incredible tour of the premises. We learned a lot about the Curiosity, Mars, politics and technology.
And it ended up the way it should be: with a lovely dinner and an unstoppable hype to push the game even further that kept running through our veins.
- Eternal Gratitude: Everything matters to us, so we're thankful for any support you can give us!
- In Game Credits: Mention in the credits of the game as a Kickstarter Backer that has made possible the creation of Initiative: Red Dawn!
- Forum and Discord Badges: You will be able to display a special badge and rank on our forums and on our Discord server based on your pledge tier.
- Devs Forums Access: Private access to Devs forums and Discord channels to be a part of the development process.
- Closed Beta Access Key: You will automatically have access to the Closed Beta when the game enters this phase.
- Alpha Access Key: You will automatically have access to the Alpha when the game enter this phase.
- Download of Initiative: Red Dawn (Digital): You will receive a Steam Key on release to download the game.
- Original Sound Track (Digital): The Original Music of Initiative: Red Dawn created by the multiple award winner composer Demian Rudel Rey.
- Original Artbook (Digital): Digital artbook containing original artwork and concept art from Initiative: Red Dawn.
- PDF with lore and background of Zimm and The Initiative (Digital): Downloadable pdf with the story behind The Initiative. Who found it and what was its purpose? Who is Zimm and what is his background?
- KS Backer only Spacecraft Blueprint (In-game): A spacecraft module model only available to Kickstarter backers. This spacecraft will never again be available!
- KS Backer only Headquarters (In-game): A unique Headquarters building model only available to Kickstarter backers.
- KS Backer only Space Station Command Module (In-game):
- Name a Talent (NPC) - (In-game): A talent of the Initiative will proudly be named after you.*
- Special Talent (NPC) characterization (In-game): Not enough with your name? We will add an illustration of your face, a quote created by you in the bio file and upgrade it to a star talent.*
- Holding name and logo pre-created (In-game): Reserve the name of your Holding (clan) and we will add it a unique logo created by you.*
- Name a mineable asteroid (In-game): In real life an asteroid is named by the one who discover it. In the Initiative you can pay for it! Pledge and name a close Earth mineable asteroid as you want.*
- Help us create a unique contract (In-game): Work with us on the creation of a special contract that governments or agencies will put on the market for players to fulfill.*
- Help us create a random event (in-game): Work with us on the creation of a world random event that may change the course of the game.*
- Help us design a future technology (In-game): Work with us and our collaborators from the aerospace industry to imagine and implement a future technology of the tech tree.*
- Your Face Sculpted in the hills of the Earth's base (In-game): Send us a picture of your face (or anyone you choose) to be sculpted in the ridge of the hills on the side of every player's Earth base.*
- Visitor's Center building named after you (In-game): The visitor's center building on every player's Earth base will be named after you.*
- Your statue in every player Earth's base (In-game): A statue of you will be placed in every player's Earth base.*
- Named in the lore of The Initiative as a Legend or Founder (In-game): Initiative's lore is full of mystery, and you'll appear as a legend there.
- "Initiative: Red Dawn" T-Shirt (Physical Reward): A specially designed T-Shirt of the Initiative's spacesuit.
- "Initiative: Red Dawn" Boxed Edition (Physical Reward): A collector's box edition of the game.
- "Initiative: Red Dawn" Artbook (Physical Reward): A high quality book containing artwork and concept art from Initiative + space images selected and quoted by our aerospace collaborators.
"Initiative: Red Dawn" Briefcase: A collector's edition customized briefcase with your name on it.
* In-game content needs to be approved by the team. Names and pictures require proof and authorization.
We have been financing ourselves so far. We will finish the game no matter what. However, with your support, we'll be able to speed the development by dedicating an exclusive team. This is how we plan to invest the money:
Our team is comprised of hardcore players and game developers. We have a combined experience from AAA game titles to sci-fi TV series to many indie games. This is the team behind the magic:
Also, we have a background of over 20+ years of experience in developing games, and over 10 years ago we founded Interatica (www.interatica.com), a company specialized on custom-made video games and other interactive experiences. We work with top Fortune 500 companies and deliver interactive experiences worldwide, from a car racing simulator to a heart-failure simulator, with iOS and Android games in between.
Interatica is now stable enough on its own, so we felt the need to do something we wanted to do in a long time: create our very own video game. We started over a year ago, and that brings us here.
We're excited to bring decades of expertise working with time-sensitive schedules and limited-budget projects to bring this project to life!
We have been and will continue to develop Initiative under two sacred premises:
A game is nothing without the players, and we understand that so much we want you to be fully involved in it. That's why we've developed a custom platform you to be part of our team like you've never seen.
Player's Council is a community-studio tool created specifically for you to have a say and a vote on the development of the core game. Not just choose a story or vote for a new character, but to be truly involved in the development backlog, propose ideas, vote and prioritize them so you can see them included earlier in the game. It will be released very soon!
Also, feel free to follow us to get direct updates through Nick's Twitter account Sebastian's and Indelve's. And you're more than welcome to join our Discord server to reach out and interact with us and our community:
We've work with agile methodologies for quite some time now, and we love it. We use SCRUM for pre-production, with a mix of Kanban during production. Agile allows us to deliver on each iteration the best game experience.
However, agile for remote teams is not as efficient nor as simple, that's why one of the main reasons we want this funding is to be able to co-locate the team and turn into a full blown agile development machine.
We have the idea, we've created the concept, and have finished the pre-production of many assets and content. We now need your help to push forward and start mass production and wrap the game up!
We firmly believe developing games is an art and we know besides passion and perspiration, it takes money. We truly love what we do, which is why we've been doing it for so long. But now we want to start sharing it with the world, and we need a little help from you to be able to achieve our goals.
A man can hardly achieve anything on its own, nothing great at least. We are a passionate team who really want to see this through, which is why we are investing as much time and money as we can to make this a reality. And we know crowdfunding can takes us there.
We're a group of seasoned programmers and gamers have been working on this game for over a year, and have the idea, concepts, game client and server pretty advanced. We need your help to be able to make the final stretch to mass produce the asset, make this game visually stunning. and extremely fun!
Risks and challenges
Game development, as most great endeavors come with risks and challenges. We've been doing games for so long to know it's a fact, and we must work along with it. Time can become short, budgets can become tight, expectations fly high... We've been there, both sides of the counter.
The biggest risk, as you may already know, is time delays. Though no-one knows what life can present to each other, we've been working in an industry where time is not a variable we can adjust, it's a fixed deadline and we simply have to make it. That's how the exhibit world is: the show opens at a certain date, and you must have everything done flawlessly by that date. That's the spirit and commitment we are putting into this. We've thought thoroughly every aspect of the game as much as we could possibly envision to reduce this risk to its minimum.
Running out of money is another big risk, and we are not asking for much either. Programming and content generation costs are usually the biggest, and we have that in our favor. We have that in-house and we don't need to factor those costs to the game, so all the money we are asking mostly goes to artists, plus expenses and other categories as we've shown in the corresponding chart. We're also doing aggressive (really aggressive) data optimization to reduce bandwidth costs at a minimum during development, betas and runtime.
This game is going out, no matter what. We are committed to it. We've put so much effort, time, money, sleepless week-ends on it, there's absolutely no way we'll let it slide.
And we want to make you proud for helping us achieve it sooner so we can find each other in the game and sabotage our buildings or join forces.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)