About this project
Information & Pre-Order at www.inboardskate.com
- Thank You -
We can't express how grateful we are for all the support, questions and feedback we've received over the last 30 days. We are looking forward to sharing with you all of our progress and project updates in the coming months!
$300,000 - Backer Number Engraved: Every board purchased on Kickstarter will be engraved with your personal backer number. We couldn't accomplish this without your support, so cruise around with pride and show that you were truly a part of making this all happen from the very beginning.
$400,000 - Black Wheels, Red Trucks: Every board purchased on Kickstarter will have an option for the color combination of the wheels and trucks. You can pick black wheels and red trucks, or keep the original red wheels with black trucks. We know that aesthetics are a huge part of picking a board, and we're stoked to be able to offer you some different options.
Through the concentrated and collaborative efforts of designers, engineers, and athletes Inboard is able to manifest a product that looks and feels like a traditional non-powered skateboard. This is accomplished through the use of the patented Manta Drive®, in-wheel direct drive, motor assembly. Inboard seeks to create lightweight transportation technology that flows.
Inboard has designed the first and only skateboard with motors in the wheels. From its streamlined look to its feel under foot, every detail of the board is based on the idea of uninhibited flow. From the outside, the board is nearly indistinguishable from a traditional skateboard. You don’t see the motors or batteries because everything is inside the deck and wheels. This makes Inboard's design the most innovative powered skateboard ever created. It will transform the everyday commute into an experience worthy of anticipation.
- Power Shift Swappable Batteries: No one should have to plan their day around electrical outlets and charging times. That’s why Inboard is the world’s first electric skateboard brand with swappable battery packs. A depleted battery can be swapped in seconds with a fresh backup in one of three sizes. From pocket sized to full sized, Inboard owners can choose the battery that matches their daily needs. The depleted battery can be recharged inside the board or on its own with a separate charging cable. A full charge can be achieved in about 90 minutes.
- USB Connect: The board comes equipped with an auxiliary USB power port: the USB Connect. This enables daisy chain charging: allowing you to charge the RFLX Remote and the Inboard Battery through a single wall outlet. The USB Connect also allows for the charging of any USB device; from powering a bluetooth speaker to charging a mobile device or even building your own accessory. With USB Connect you’re always ON.
- Rev Wheels: From the deck to the wheels, every detail of the board is designed to be easy and intuitive. The Inboard's Rev Wheel can be changed in ten seconds without any tools. This way you’re always ready to ride.
- Unibody Deck: In designing the board we had a monumental challenge: create a powered skateboard that still looks and feels like a traditional skateboard. To achieve this goal, Inboard engineers partnered with the Engineers at Hydroflex Technology and had to work from the inside out. Creating a hollow deck with a cavity to hold all the electronics accomplished the goal of creating a powerful product while maintaining a sleek exterior. This Brand collaboration also insured the Inboard would perform to the demands of the worlds best downhill longboarders thanks to product testing and feedback from the Hydroflex Team.
- Regenerative braking allows for riding in control. When braking the Manta Drive® makes use of this extra energy by charging your battery
- An Illuminated Experience: lights on nose and tail of board
- High and Dry: The Manta Drive is 100% weather resistant
- While we at Inboard want you to have endless fun with our product, we also encourage you to wear important safety gear like helmets...as well as watch out for vehicles and other dangerous hazards.
- Top Speed: 24 mph (mobile app adjusts top speed anywhere between 7mph and 24mph).
- Battery Range: Up to 10 miles (LiFePo4)
- Board Weight: 12 lbs
- Max Rider Capacity: Tested to 250lbs
- Drive System: Manta Drive® In-Wheel Direct Drive Technology (Dual rear wheel drive)
- Braking System: Electronic Regenerative Braking
- Throttle Control: RFLX Remote or Vision - Mobile App
- Connectivity: Bluetooth Low-Energy
- Wheels: 79mm
- Charge Time: 90 min
- Batteries: Swappable - never wait to ride
- Battery Cycle Life: Over 1,000 full charge cycles (Easily Replaceable)
- Deck Material: Lightweight Composite
- Deck Flex: Stiff - designed for speed and stability
- Deck Dimensions: 37" long (94cm) x 10" wide (25cm) with a 13mm-9mm concave for front and back foot (respectively).
- USB Connect: charges remote, mobile phone, or any USB device
IN THE BOX
- Board - Ready to ride
- RFLX Remote - Bluetooth LE
- Universal Wall Charger - for charging the board
- USB Connect Charger - for charging the RFLX Remote
- Inboard Sticker Pack - represent and tag it up!
Our goal in designing the board was to stay true to all the familiar aspects of a traditional skateboard while avoiding the design flaws of current powered boards: like excess weight, bulky external motors and drag while kick-pushing the board. Our answer is Manta Drive: a direct drive, in-wheel motor system like nothing currently available.
The Manta Drive® has no gearing, no belts, and no limitations. It offers smooth acceleration with no resistance to the wheel, allowing the board to glide like a traditional skateboard. This is achieved thanks to its floating motor assembly; the only components linking the wheel to the motor are free spinning bearings. This revolutionary feat of engineering is at the heart of the board, and when ridden creates a feeling unlike any other.
The perfect remote should feel like a seamless extension of the rider. The RFLX Remote was designed with this in mind to let the rider focus on the most important thing: their riding. Accidently dropping the remote should never be a concern, and with the RFLX Remote you can open and close your hand at will, without the remote ever moving from its natural position in your hand. All this without the need for a lanyard.
The Inboard Vision mobile app keeps you in control of every aspect of your board. Optimize performance, view battery levels, and adjust settings all with a swipe, thanks to the intuitive and simple user interface.
With the ability to select pre-set modes, and even customize your own, Vision allows the Rider to perfect the boards settings to suit their level of riding.
- Beginner: Our beginner mode makes it easy and safe for anyone to ride a powered skateboard. If this is your first time on a powered skate (or any skate for that matter), the beginner mode will get you up and riding by reducing the overall top speed and reducing the acceleration curve.
- Advanced: When you’re ready to take your riding to the next level, our Advanced mode gives the progressing rider more acceleration and top speed.
- Eco: With Eco Mode you can go further! Our motor controller continuously monitors and analyzes the Manta Drive's performance. This allows the board to automatically adjust its speed and acceleration to ensure the rider gets the most range out of the board given the current riding conditions
- Lock It Down: With the Inboard Passcode Lock, simply lock your board with one swipe from the dashboard using our intuitive interface.
- On The Fly Updates: Download and push Firmware updates to your board via the Vision Mobile App. This way you and your board are always up to date with the most advanced firmware for optimized performance.
PROJECT FEATURED ON:
RYAN EVANS: Co-Founder
An avid surfer, skater, snowboarder, climber, and former sponsored Kiteboarder; Ryan has spent the last 15 years working in the action sports industry at all levels. From retail sales, coaching, and team management, to being a sales representative, product tester, R&D, and distribution manager. Ryan serves as the President of Pure Action Sports North America, and Vice President of AWSI (Association of Wind and Water Sports Industries) Trade Organization.
THEO CERBONESCHI: Co-Founder, Mechanical Engineer
Inventing and building various machines for as long as he can remember, Theo followed his passion and studied mechanical engineering. He’s also addicted to action sports: paragliding, speed flying, surfing, kitesurfing and of course skating are parts of his daily life.
PAIGE DOOLIN: Product Designer
Background rooted in competitive alpine skiing and sailing. An avid kiteboarder and longboarder from Detroit, Paige studied design in Northern Michigan and New York City.
NATE APPEL: Marketing Director
Nate has channeled his love of snowboarding, kiteboarding, surfing and skateboarding into a successful photography, cinematography, marketing and design career spanning the action sports industry. With global acclaim covering everything from kiteboarding to snowboarding in both photo and video, Nate is a marketing jack of all trades who loves to travel and get as close to the acton as possible.
Risks and challenges
*Thanks to our incredible supporters, suppliers and industry partnerships, our manufacturing agenda at Inboard has been moving forward at an exciting pace. That being said, getting any product into full scale production is no easy task.
Some objectives that could possibly take more time than we anticipate are the Apple Store and Google Play approvals of our mobile app, as well as FCC/CE electronic certification. While most of our components are made in the USA, we have a few parts coming from overseas and those can take time to clear release by US Customs.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Inboard has designed an amazing rear wheel that is easily and quickly changed. It's called the REV Lock Wheel and can be changed with no tools in less then a minute. They're also inexpensive since only the wheel needs to be changed and there is no hardware connecting it to the board (like screws, gears, or fasteners like most belted powered skates). We'll be selling these replacement wheels, as well as all replacement parts and add-ons, on our website post-Kickstarter.
The Manta Drive is 100% water resistant. All components inside the wheel have been coated or laminated to prevent water damage. The electronics enclosure is protected from water by being inside the board. The only thing holding it back from being waterproof on the outside are the skate bearings... these are normal skate bearings and none of those are waterproof. As such, you should ride your Monolith in the same conditions you'd skate a normal board.
We will be offering 3 different size battery packs for separate purchase. Our largest battery pack is about 14" in length (one comes included with board). We are estimating that this option will cost about $100 while our pocket size (4 1/2") will be around $50. The size and cost of the medium size battery is still to be determined.
There will be a 90 day warranty against manufacturing defects.
We will have a full offering of replacement parts and accessories available for purchase on our website the day after our Kickstarter concludes. These items will ship at the same time as our boards.
ALL of our backers will have access to our private Instagram account - @inboardLTD for a sneak peak at new products, promotions and everything going on at HQ. If you have backed us, just send us a direct message via Kickstarter with your username & shoot us a follower request on Instagram!
Support this project
- (30 days)