We love space shooters.
We all played the hell out of X-Wing, Wing Commander, and that entire generation of amazing space combat games. That’s why we’re so excited to be creating the next game in that rich lineage: STARFIGHTER INC., a hardcore team-based PvP multiplayer space shooter in the vein of X-Wing vs. Tie-Fighter.
We want to recapture the intensity and excitement of those games and provide a fresh experience via modern graphics, new gameplay, and awesome gear derived from the science of today and tomorrow.
Thank you so much for joining us on this adventure.
- The Starfighter Team
In short, Starfighter Inc. is:
All About Combat. Hardcore PvP multiplayer space warfare focused on pure, unadulterated tactical simulation combat.
Realism Done Right. A hard-science driven, zero-g experience where players can spin, tumble and strafe their way through a gritty frontier universe.
Unparalleled Customization. You control and customize every element of your ship, from the chassis to the powertrain to the cockpit layout.
We want to give our community unprecedented access into the creation of this game, so we'll be adding loads more information to this page as our Kickstarter campaign goes on. Read on for more and keep an eye out for updates!
It’s 2230. A generation has lived and died among the stars.
This Kickstarter campaign will determine how far we can take this game. We have a great core design we know is going to be really fun, but if we want to make some of our bigger dreams a reality - things like playable capital ships, a player-owned universe, and scripted story content - we're going to need your help.
This is how we ranked our tiers, based on importance to the core game and cost to get them done. If you see a feature in a later tier that you think we should move up, jump over to the comments section and let us know!
These Key Features define the Starfighter gameplay experience.
- Core PvP Multiplayer – Large-scale multiplayer engagements put players head-to-head over dedicated servers to achieve a massive, chaotic, awesome battlefield.
- Persistent Ship Customization – Players start off the game taking out a loan for their first ship, then run missions to gain credits to pay it off, pay for repairs, build new ships, buy new parts, or just give it a sweet paint job.
- Component Damage – Every system on the ship is susceptible to damage and each has a unique effect on gameplay. Shrapnel hit to your maneuvering thrusters? Spend the rest of the battle in an unstable, erratic beast. Main sensor cluster fried by enemy lasers? Looks like you’re going to have to fly blind. Missile hit in the cockpit? Well, you get the idea.
- Player-Run Mercenary Corporations – Mercenary corporations post missions to be run by qualified pilots. Perform well and you’ll find yourself rising through the corporate ranks, securing valuable gear discounts, access to exclusive missions, and to ships only available to those corps through exclusive agreements. Get enough capital together and you might find yourself as CEO of your own mercenary corp, managing the cut-throat business of running a mercenary outfit on the final frontier!
- VR Integration – VR is awesome and it turns Starfighter Inc. into an unbelievably immersive experience. We believe in the future of VR and we’re proud to be taking part in this revolution.
- Single Player Bot Match - Don’t want to play online? Prefer to hone your skills offline before taking on the world? Enjoy a good comp stomp? We’re excited to announce that no matter what level Starfighter Inc. gets funded, the game will include a simple Bot Match Single Player component, where players square off against AI-driven opponents set on pure, unadulterated meatbag massacre.
Tier 2: Big Multiplayer Experience
- Multi-Seats Ships – You drive, I’ll shoot. Players can jump into the pilot seat while a buddy mans the turret, optimizes the ship’s performance, or manages countermeasures, electronic warfare systems or drones.
- AI Carriers – AI Carriers manage the resupply and maintenance of fighters in the field. Players launch into combat from them and return to get rearmed or repaired, or to get a new ship if theirs is destroyed.
- Troop Transports – Behemoth ships that carry troops into battle. Often the goal of these ships is to twist, bash, and smash their way through combat to dock with the target ship, then unload their troops for a boarding action.
- Boarding – Players can dock their Troop Transports with large capital ships in the hopes of disabling key systems, key personnel or capturing the ship altogether. Players get their ship into docking range, initiate the board action, then jump into a turret to defend their bird while the Combat Troops do their thing inside the ship. Bonus points for a clean extraction.
- Drones – A major component of warfare on the frontier is unmanned drones. Light, cheap and able to pack a punch, these small autonomous robots are launched from bigger vessels, then carry out their prescribed orders around the battlefield.
To thank you for being a part of this adventure with us, we've lined up what we think are some pretty great backer rewards. Give these a look, make a pledge to support the game, and if there's something you'd like to see, let us know in the comments!
$5 or More: Welcome to Starfighter Inc.
Join the Community: Get campaign updates, discuss the game in the comments section and contribute to the success of Starfighter Inc. Welcome to the company!
Exclusive "Atlas" Digital Wallpaper: The official Starfighter wallpaper, featuring the extremely badass "Atlas" carrier, will only be offered directly to Kickstarter backers.
Special Thanks in the Credits: Our thanks to you for helping make this game possible.
$25 or More: Gun for Hire
All Lower Tier Backer Rewards, Plus...
Digital Copy of the Finished Game: Once we final the game, you'll have a copy waiting for you! The game will mostly likely retail for closer to $50 USD, so this is a great way to save a buck on a great game.
Digital Soundtrack: The Official Game Soundtrack, featuring music from the game and commentary from the dev team.
Digital Artbook: Step through the creation process with concept art, illustrations and final assets from the game.
$35 or More: Dual Wielding
$50 or More: Beta Company
Beta Test Access: Once we're close to launching the game, we'll do a Beta Test, where players can try the game for free. Join in and be one of the first players to play the finished game!
In-Game "Beta Company" Badge: Proudly display your Beta Company team badge in-game. We're still sorting out exactly where badges will go, but they'll likely appear in the leaderboards, game score, and game summary screens.
$60 or More: Check Six
All Lower Tier Backer Rewards, Plus...
4 Extra Copies of the Finished Game (6 Total): Get the gang together because its time for some formation flying! This tier will give you 4 extra Digital Copies, totaling 6 copies. At a $50 retail price point, this is an approximate $300 value!
$75 or More: Day Zero
Day 0 Friends & Family Alpha Test Access: Be one of the first players outside the studio to try the game out! Free access to the first build distributed to our Friends and Family group. The earliest access you can get to the game, way before it hits retail.
In-Game "Day Zero" Badge: Show your pride as part of the family.
Vote on New Features via Dev Team Forum: Sound off on our internal team forum on what features we should prioritize, what we should cut and what we should add. Want your voice to shape the game? This is the place to be.
$85 or More: Squadron
$100 or More: Fear the Shrike
"Shrike Schematic" T-Shirt: Soft, easily wearable and pretty damn cool, this shirt shows off the fastest ship this side of the solar system, The Tsong Industries "Shrike" Information Warfare Fighter.
Backer-Only In-Game "Shrike" Information Warfare Ship: A super fast, extremely maneuverable recon ship with top of the line information warfare gear, the Shrike will only ever be available to Kickstarter backers.
$150 or More: Join The Crew
$200 or More: Digital Deluxe
$250 or More: Starfighter Package
$500 or More: The Jarvis Package
$1,000 or More: The Hero's Journey
$5,000 or More: Executive Producer Package
$10,000 or More: VIP Experience
All Lower Tier Backer Rewards, Plus...
- $15 - Digital "Starfighter Inc. Strategy Guide" written by Rusel DeMaria, writer of the official guides for X-Wing and TIE Fighter
- $20 - Backer-Only Shrike ship! (Shrike video here)
- $20 - Boxed Copy of Starfighter Inc. (you must add $5 USD for USA shipping or $10 USD for shipping elsewhere)
- $75 - Physical art book: "The Universe of Starfighter Inc." an 8" x 11" hardcover (you must add $10 USD for USA shipping or $20 USD for shipping elsewhere)
The Starfighter Inc. development team brings experience on landmark franchises and across dozens of titles.
- Founded: 2013
- Studio Format: International Virtual Team (7 time zones)
- Team Size: 15
- Total Years of Games Industry Experience: 151
- Average Years of Games Industry Experience: 10
- Total Games Published: 96
- Average Games Published: 6.4
- Current/Former College Professors: 5 (Rutgers, SCAD, Champlain, Breda)
- Key Team Member Titles: X-Wing Series, Crysis, Far Cry, MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries, Battlefield 2, Desert Combat, Homefront, Saints Row, Blood Wake, Frontlines: Fuel of War, Ravaged
While we all have a great deal of experience working in games, we don’t have access to the kinds of capital that a project like this needs to be done well. Our options are either to take the game to a publisher, who may want to reduce risk by cutting hardcore features or take the game to Kickstarter. Our hope is that by bringing the game to the Kickstarter community, we can make this dream a reality.
We spent a lot of time at GDC last year shopping the game around, so we had time to chat in between meetings. Even though we were tired from hours of pitching, one interesting realization emerged from our conversations. The most successful projects we’ve all worked on, both in terms of commercial success and in terms of how we felt about them, were projects that tapped directly into the community.
Games like Desert Combat, which actually started as a community project and grew into one of the biggest mods of all time. Games like X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter, which drew heavily on feedback from players to create a landmark multiplayer experience. Games like Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries, where each successive release was guided by great feedback from a dedicated player base.
We want to create and engage with our Starfighter Inc. community to the same degree we did with those games.
So join us! Get involved with the project. Spread the word, back the project or post a comment. We want to know what you think about the game and how we can make it better, so get in touch with us on Kickstarter, on Facebook, or on Twitter.
- Stretch Goals
- Behind-the-Scenes Design Insight
- Sample Gameplay Encounter
- Music & Sound Effects
- In-Game Corporations
- In-Game Manufacturers
Risks and challenges
Gameplay Innovation - Making games is hard, even when you're going the tried-and-true route or working on a sequel with a proven game mechanic. When you're trying to do something really out of the box - like blend hard-science and high action in a space shooter - it can introduce risk to the project. Luckily, our staff has significant experience working on projects like these and our extensive preproduction phase has allowed us to iron out the unknown elements as we move into full production.
3D Printing - We're really good at making games. Less so at 3D printing. Luckily, we've lined up a great partner in Amplify, a really great firm that specializes in merchandise fulfillment. (note: This was from a reward tier we had to cut, but we're trying to bring back. You might be able to guess what it is!)
Chris Roberts Starting a Rap Battle with David Wessman - That whole Wing Commander/X-Wing static isn't going anywhere. This is probably going to go down...old school.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (32 days)