In September 2014, Chicago-based production team VStheUNIVERSE took a risk and mounted a geek-centric talk show. After performing for a capacity crowd, the production team knew they had a hit with The Geek Show! After six successful Geek Shows, the team is looking to make it a mainstay and produce a full year of shows for the Chicago community!
- A late night talk show with nerd-centric programming that focuses on Chicago's biggest and brightest geeks. We bring in comic writers, community leaders, and performers and singers that work within the Geekosphere! The VStheUNIVERSE team aims to create a safe, inclusive environment where audience members can come, laugh, see cool stuff, and be entertained!
Here's what some fans of The Geek Show have been saying about our run thus far!
"In other words, it’s nerdtastic and awesome. It’s very unique and I think it will bring a lot of the geek community closer together. It’s a way to introduce nerds to other cool things that are happening in Chicago that they probably wouldn’t know about." - Geek Bar DLC
"A charming and fun look at all things geek in Chicago, Geek Show is the 'The CW's The Flash' of talk shows." - Mike Chuck Bretzlaff of Chicago Loot Drop
"I haven't laughed that hard in quite awhile. Thanks for another awesome show" - Michi Trota on Geek Show's Robo-Apocalypse Show
"The Geek Show provides a safe platform for nerds and geeks to entertain and be entertained. Chicago is lucky to have someone like Aaron." - Matt Peters of Mighty Ink Comics
"The Geek Show is a fantastic Chicago-centric live talk show that celebrates nerd culture through skits and introduces local geeky celebrities with its interviews. It's a can't miss event." - Kevin Treski, President of Play On Chicago
WHAT YOU ARE FUNDING?
- 6 Geek Shows to be produced December 2015 through December 2016 at Stage 773 in Chicago, IL.
WHY DO WE NEED THE FUNDING?
- This campaign is about continuing to make the show possible. Without proper funding, we won't be able to afford to keep the show going. With your help we can put all of our efforts into producing the shows and not worrying about paying for them.
- Funding will cover theatre rentals, tech/set costs, and performer fees.
ARE THE SHOWS FREE?
- Hell yeah. All of our shows from December '15 through December '16 will be free.
WAIT, I DON'T LIVE IN CHICAGO! ...jerk
- AIN'T NO THANG! We document the show and put the interviews and segments on our YouTube channel for everyone to enjoy! Take a look at the video of our interview with James D'Amato & Kat Kuhl from the One Shot & Campaign Podcasts below!
- We're a collection of local Chicago performers that love comic books, sci-fi/fantasy, video games, and other pillars of fandom. We should be friends! Since 2013 we've been making Cosplay Music Videos, filming sketches like FutureNews!, producing podcasts like Panels On Channels, and now have The Geek Show under our direction too! Officially we'll be going by VStheUNIVERSE LLC if you want to get all technical.
The aim is to be able to finance 6 shows at the Cab Theatre of Stage 773 between December 2015 and December 2016.
- Space rental = $250 per night
- Set dressings = $100
- Advertising/Promotions = $50
- Prizes for winners of games = $50
This means each show costs roughly $450 to produce. Kickstarter/CC fees account for 10% of your campaign funding, so we must raise $3,000 to clear the costs of the show to begin with.
- 6 Shows x $450 = $2,700
- $3,000 - 10% (or $300!) = $2,700!
- $10 - A PERSONALIZED SHOUT OUT to you from our Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube page!
- $25 - WE MAKE YOU A THEME SONG! The VStheUNIVERSE team will write and record you a 30 second theme song and send it to you!
- $25 - A VIP PASS TO THE GEEK SHOW of your choice from October 2015 - October 2016!
- $45 - A VIP PASS TO THE GEEK SHOW of your choice from October 2015 - October 2016! + WE MAKE YOU A THEME SONG! Perfect for that VtU fan that wants it all! AND SAVE $5!
- $100 - SEASON VIP PASSES TO THE GEEK SHOW!
- $250 - The VTU Crew will take you out for dinner & video games + everything in the $100 tier. (Redemption in Chicago only, or you provide your own airfare if you want to travel!)
- $500 - Be a guest on The Geek Show and pick the theme! We’ll interview you, play a game with you, and you can talk about whatever you want with us! (Chicago patrons only, or else you provide your own airfare if you need to travel!)
- EVERY BACKERS GET A DIGITAL GOODIE BAG OF SPECIAL VStheUNIVERSE THINGS! Demos! Videos we never released! Special Facebook cover photos to show your support for the campaign!
"What's in a VIP Pass at Geek Show?"
- Scads of candy! (to be delivered via piñata or by our special VtU messengers)
- Front row seats, the best in the theatre!
- One beer, for drinkin'!
- A special VIP segment of the show dedicated to you!
"My own theme song? How does THAT work?"
- Sam, Aaron, and the VTU Crew have been making music together for a long time. Some of Sam's best work can be heard in the Space Cops opening theme here. They'll sit down, and create a theme song for you based on your name and deliver it to you electronically when the campaign is over. We may ask you for a hobby, favorite movie/show, or something else we can weave into the theme for flavor.
"What about the Geek Show in the future? What's the plan for 2017 and BEYOND?"
- We're currently shopping around for long-term ways to finance and produce The Geek Show in Chicago. We've spoken to a few producers who are intrigued by the show, but want to see continued success before putting money behind it. The shows from 2015-2016 will help show those people how successful the show can be! We intend for the show to be a staple in the Chicago community for years to come, and the next 12 months will show investors/sponsors that vision.
Obviously we're shooting for the $3K because we want to keep the show going. However if we're lucky enough to exceed $3K, then we have a plan for how to spend the additional funds!
If we hit $5,000 - We'll be able to afford equipment that will enable us to film The Geek Show in the highest quality possible. We'll be able to buy:
- Canon EOS 70D with 18-135mm STM Lens
- GoPro HERO4+ BLACK EDITION Camera
- Silicon Power 2TB Rugged Armor External Hard Drive
- SanDisk Extreme SDXC 128GB Memory Card
- SanDisk Extreme Micro SDXC 64GB Memory Card
- Additional Battery for Canon EOS 70D
With these tools, we'll be able to offer a multi-angle recording of The Geek Show for everyone to enjoy, and have a dedicated way to preserve the performances as well.
If we hit $6,500 - We'll be able to afford a pair of wireless lapel mics so that we could record the interviews in an even higher quality that usual. We currently use an H6N Digital Recorder to capture our audio, but with wireless lapel mics we could achieve an even higher fidelity. This will be incredibly beneficial for our Internet audience!
$6,500 & BEYOND! - We'll be able to produce more Geek Shows more often, highlighting even MORE groups and people in the Chicago community.
Risks and challenges
Producing content can be a difficult task. Luckily the entire VStheUNIVERSE team has years of experience with producing content, managing production schedules, and figuring out creative ways to solve what seem like insurmountable problems.
When creating a show like The Geek Show, producers have to deal with a number of unpredictable scenarios: guests could drop out, illnesses could crop up, and theaters could flood. (Yes, that has happened before!) The production team has the experience and cunning necessary to remain level-headed and be PROACTIVE about potential issues so they won't need to be REACTIVE.
The last five Geek Shows have had their share of bumps in the road, and the crew was able to combat those woes with vigor! Whatever issues arise, we're confident we'll be able to handle them.
VStheUNIVERSE is now officially a professional company. All of the funds we raise will be transferred to our new LLC bank account immediately after the completion of the campaign. Becoming an LLC will demand that we're even more professional in our approach to create content, and we're looking forward to doing so with zest!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (42 days)