The first print run of the Illuminated Earth Oracle was released in August of 2018 and my goal is to get help with funding the second printing. Please read on to learn the story of this oracle deck and the process of bringing it to life!
Creating the Deck
When I first decided to make a divination deck I was planning to do a traditional Tarot deck, but I soon found myself moving toward imagery and symbolism that resonates more deeply with my personal journey as a painter, nature lover, and wisdom seeker.
My interest in psychology, science, spiritual traditions, and esoteric studies helped facilitate the leap of faith to take on what felt like a monumental project. I began working on the oracle deck at the end of 2016, knowing the state of my country, the climate, and the world in the years ahead would be tumultuous in many ways and wanting to address this in the visual language I know best. Once I began the paintings, they seemed to flow almost effortlessly.
With the natural world as inspiration, each piece arose and took shape in an organic, intuitively rendered image that was then given a keyword according to the feeling it evoked. I chose to leave some of the images minimal and abstract, allowing for spaciousness, while others reflect the intricate details and patterns found in nature, and metaphorically, in a person’s life. I experimented with hand-marbling paper which became one of the key elements in creating the collage that gives the deck it's unique aesthetic.
After more than a year of creating over 60 paintings, I moved into writing the descriptions and keywords for each card. It was a slow process of allowing the images to speak to me and trusting that I would find the words to complete the booklet which accompanies the deck. I always had a sense that this deck already had a life of its own and my part was simply to get it out into the world.
Working with the Deck
The Illuminated Earth Oracle is a highly intuitive deck, both in the way it was created and the ways it can be read. There is no right or wrong way of using it. You may draw one or more cards for daily insight, display them on an altar, or use them for inquiry about a specific subject. The 24-page guidebook offers gentle topics of contemplation for each card, though some readers prefer to intuit guidance directly from the images.
Twelve of the cards are from paintings in my collection that depict the human figure. I decided to bring these pieces into the deck in order to represent the human element - the mind and soul of the seeker here on Earth, whose journey is necessarily integrated with the planet and cosmos.
Each card has one of four symbols incorporated in the border design, indicating a key of reference based on perceptions we may have about a given condition. Like yin and yang, these symbols take into account the inter-connection with each other as being parts of the whole. I've been told it is a moody deck - and it's true! There is a good balance of both light and dark aspects, all of which are connected and reflected in our Universe.
I recently received this deck and feel like it is a Soul Oracle for me already. Every time I do a spread, I get the most intimate messages that truly resonate. Quite profound. Thank you for creating this beautiful deck. -- Sherri, Etsy review
This is such a beautiful deck. I loved the look of it online and in person I am gobsmacked. The artwork is so incredible and each card gives the impression of having layers of meaning. So glad I got this! -- Sally, Etsy review
I LOVE this deck! The artwork is stunning and it read like a dream straight out of the box! Sturdy cardstock and great quality. If Claire were to come out with another deck I'd buy it ASAP! <3 -- Kate, Etsy review
- The Illuminated Earth Oracle is a 63-card, hand-painted and collaged deck.
- The cards measure 4.75 x 3 inches, slightly wider than standard tarot
- Artwork comes to the edges and a thin border with symbol and keyword is printed in soft metallic gold
- They are printed on 350 gsm cardstock and coated with matte lamination which gives them a smooth silky feel
- They come in a sturdy 2-piece box with gold foil stamped title and matte lam finish
- A 24-page lwb (little white book) accompanies the deck with brief points of guidance for each card and information about the artwork
Bringing the deck to Kickstarter
I've learned so much from the process of creating the deck. Everything from making the art, to preparing the images for print (i.e. hiring a graphic designer), to dealing with the manufacturing of a "product". It is a HUGE undertaking, and very expensive! I funded the first printing with my savings and I'm thrilled to have sold through most of that first run. I'm bringing the deck to Kickstarter today to help fund the second printing of this first edition. It's my dream to share the deck with as many people as possible and I would so appreciate your help!
- Early birds can receive a copy of the deck for a discounted price! (Only available until the 28th of April).
- Botanical bundles are small and sweet collections of plants gathered from my garden or the woods near my home. They may be fresh or dried and will vary depending on the season. I'll be sure and throw in something unique!
- Prints are on 8"x 10" acid free artist paper with an elegant white border, signed with title and date. They will be sent in a cello sleeve with firm backing for protection. Depending on the design you choose, they may be hand embellished with fine gold ink details.
- Rewards of original art will be chosen from my collection and may include painting, collage, or graphic illustration on 6"x 6" or 5"x 7" paper or wood panel.
- Custom paintings will include an email or phone consultation to get a sense of what is meaningful to you. The size will be approximately 12"x 9" on paper, using collage and other mixed media. This reward is limited to 3 backers. With your approval, I will include the image as a card in my next oracle deck!
Risks and challenges
Since most of the technical work is already complete, the main risks and challenges are related to timing and assuring a high-quality print run, as I'll be working with another printer this time around. My printing contacts are all set up and I'll be receiving proofs to make sure that everything is consistent. From my previous experience, I've learned with such a large project things tend to take longer than you expect, so I've built in a couple of extra months for rewards to be distributed. If everything goes smoothly I anticipate being able to send some of the rewards early.
That being said, if there are unforeseen delays, I will be sure and keep all of my backers up to date. I'm committed to sharing the progress of the printing schedule if there are any setbacks and making sure you're happy with your rewards!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (32 days)