At a Glance:
- Record both sides of phone call
- Transfer voicemail to computer
- Capture any audio phone plays (music, stream, Skype, HeyTell, etc)
RECAP is an acronym for Record Calls on PC. The word recap is short for recapitulate, meaning to summarize the main ideas of a speech...and that is the main idea behind this little tool.
Often times people forget the main points of a phone conversation they had. Even if call just took place. RECAP let users go back and listen through the recordings to recap what was said. Other uses include:
- Interview people over the phone. No need to jot down during the call, just record and transcribe it later!
- Record conference calls. Later play it back to create meeting minutes. Email participants meeting audio file. Store for future reference.
- Save the great stories from elderly parents and make it easier to pass them to the next generation.
- Preserve old voicemail of loved ones as memories (I wish I could have helped this dad: http://abcn.ws/103MNqI )
- Now you can also record "For call quality and training purposes," just like big business do.
- Record and keep for your personal records calls with insurance, phone, cable and other companies
- Phones: Apple iPhone, Android & cordless
- Headset: any compatible with your phone
- Recording device: PC, MAC & voice recorder. Must be a stereo device.
It's very simple to use RECAP. Plug it to your phone. Connect your headset and finally connect the provided audio cable to RECAP and the computer's microphone (MIC) jack.
Open your favorite audio recording software, put your headset on, make a phone call and hit record. When speaking on the phone, RECAP will capture both sides of the conversation for recording by your computer.
Add $15 to any perk for the 'cable kit'.
Kit is for cordless phones and includes:
- Adapter 2.5mm Male to 3.5mm female (4 contacts)
- Adapter 3.5mm male for 2.5mm female (4 contacts)
The money raised will be spent developing, prototyping, and manufacturing RECAP. Prototype boards will be manufactured via OSH Park. Production board will be outsourced to a PCB manufacturer & assembler.
Enclosures will be manufactured using a UP Mini 3D printer. Material is white ABS thermoplastic (same plastic as Lego). Resolution will be 0.25mm or better.
Below is the texture & finish of the production intent enclosures.
Current Prototype Status
In the picture below is the very first fully functional prototype of RECAP (left) and the 2nd prototype (center). In the right is the latest production intent design. Prototype #1 was used in the demo video.
Differences between prototype and production
- Production version will not have a 'RECAP' label.
- Production units tentative size is about 1x1". Physical characteristic may change slightly (overall dimensions and connector positions)
Tech Specs: dossant.com/recap
Important: check your local law to ensure you are complying with the applicable laws pertaining to phone call recording, copying of audio files and however you plan to use RECAP.
Here's some relevant literature:
Risks and challenges
Manufacture of enclosures. This is my first project using 3D printing technology. My goal is that the 100th unit look just like the first. To overcome this challenge allowed extra time for product delivery and am keeping myself informed on how to perform proper maintenance.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (45 days)