Ever needed to record an important phone call? RECAP let you record audio from mobile & tablet into another!
At a glance:
- RECAP is a simple & useful audio adapter
- Let you record phone calls, Skype, Vonage, magicJack, VoIP calls
- ...any audio in&out of an iPhone, iPad or Android...
- ...into another iPhone, iPad or Android.
RECAP 2 official name is RECAP C. The C stands for combo. This is because its output is a combo port (combination of speaker + MIC). details
Typical Use Cases:
- Business meetings: don't get distracted taking notes during the meeting. Playback recording to creating meeting minutes. Share recording with participants or archive for future reference.
- Podcasters love RECAP because they can interview guests over an phone or skype call on their iPhone, and record into the iPad in an app such as Bossjock Studio
- Empower yourself: instead of asking the utility/cable company to send you an email confirming the agreement (which they promised but rarely do) you can be proactive and record the conversation for future reference.
- many many more.... see other examples here
What others are saying:
"@RamosIgorS you're making our skype rig look like the monster that it is :) http://bossjockstudio.com/frankenskype-the-all-ios-voip-podcast-rig/… Nice job, love the RECAP!" @bossjockapp 12/30/2013
A few months ago I launched a Kickstarter project called RECAP - Record Calls on PC. It was a great success! Project was funded, around 200 units have been delivered to backers of 23 countries; and RECAP is now for sale at http://RecapMycalls.com.
From day one of launching the original RECAP, people asked me "can I record into an iOS device instead of a PC". The answer was NO, RECAP is not designed record INTO iOS/Android. However I did listened to the many requests and have redesigned RECAP and am now funding the new RECAP! Hooray!
The new RECAP - called RECAP C - records to/from iPad, iPhone and Android. The C stands for combo. This is because its output is a combo port (combination of speaker + MIC).
The original RECAP is called RECAP S. The S stands for Stereo. This is because the output port is a stereo mic output.
Quick diagram showing the typical use for each device
(for detailed specs of the original RECAP, including device compatibility go to RecapMyCalls.com )
Below are three raw & unedited recordings using RECAP C :
- iPhone Skype call recorded into Android HTC Thunderbolt
- Android HTC Tbolt Skype call recorded into iPhone5
- iPad Skype call recorded into Android HTC Thunderbolt
RECAP in the real world:
Rob from Today in iOS interviewed me (Igor) over the phone using a RECAP C. He recorded the call into his iPad. Rob does his ENTIRE podcast using iOS and RECAP, so RECAP is a great tool to his workflow. Check out the interview recording: Click here (scroll to min 1 to hear the recording)
Apps used in my sample recordings: iOS "Voice Record" by Dayana Networks Ltd., Android: "Smart Voice Recorder" by Smartmob Development. Rob from Today in iOS used Bossjack app.
How to use RECAP
It's very use to use RECAP, you just plug it and hit record when you place a call. Watch this video where I walk-through the unboxing of RECAP.
Technical / Extra Features:
- A cool extra feature is that when you playback audio on device 2 (recording destination) you can hear it on earphones (see green line).Isn't it nice to hear audio from two devices in one headset?
- RECAP work not only on phones but any device with a AHJ combo ports (AHJ = American Headset Jack Standard: 4-contact jack, with MIC in the sleeve pin, ground in ring-sleeve pin). Some Mac Air Books have combo ports, so RECAP it would work with it.
RECAP is available in black and white. You'll pick the color in the Kickstarter survey. All comes with a 1m audio cable 4-pole.
For those supporters that want to go the extra-mile, I'm offering the VIP level support:
$20k: If funding reaches at least $20k. One additional color will be offered in addition to white & black. A survey will go out to get votes on the color. Image below show possible colors. I vote for red, how about you? :)
Trust & Quality:
- On-time: I have a track record of shipping rewards on time.
- Warranty: free replacement if you get a defective unit.
- Support: rest assured you'll have technical support once you receive your reward ( via the site RecapMyCalls.com)
- Transparency: I strive for 100% supporter/customer satisfaction. My goal is to be 100% clear about the product & project. Happy customer = happy life.
If this project gets funded here's how I plan to execute it:
- Mid Jan/2014: Parts procurement
- Late Jan/2014: Order PCB manufacture and assembly
- Late Jan to Mid Feb/2014: Create enclosures (3D printed enclosures)
- Mid - Late Feb/2014: Final assembly (hand assembled in the US)
- Mid Mar/2014: update website with product info & customer support (RecapMyCalls.com)
- Mid Apr: delivery date.
If your pledge gives you a reward, I want you to be aware of the items below so that we're in the same page about what you'll be getting into:
- Compatibility: RECAP C was developed & tested using an iPhone 5, iPad, HTC Thunderbolt & Samsung Galaxy tablet. It is intended to work on any device with a 3.5mm combo port (4-pole) having MIC in sleeve pin. However it is impractical for me to test on every single device on the planet. Pledge at your own risk.
- Audio Quality: Expect "call" audio quality, not "CD" quality
- Enclosures: RECAP uses 3D printing technology and will be hand assembled. Each enclosure will have unique "features": coloration, texture, shine, dimensions and other cosmetic .
- Pledge remorse: while the Kickstarter campaign is in progress you may cancel your pledge at anytime. Once the campaign is over, I will not refund pledges. If you're not comfortable with this no return policy, please wait until RECAP C goes on sale for the general public at RecapMycalls.com.
- Warranty: is against manufacturing defects only, not against accidental, intentional damage or misuse of RECAP. Warranty starts on shipping date.
Important: check your local law to ensure you are complying with the applicable laws pertaining to phone call recording, copying of audio files and however you plan to use RECAP.
Here's some relevant literature:
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Supplier quality is the biggest risk for this project. In order to deliver RECAP I rely on a wide network of suppliers. There's the electronic component distributor, the ABS filament manufacturer, supplier that manufacture the circuit boards, to name a few. In every step required to make RECAP there's risk: counterfeit parts, supplier skipping product inspection. Risk is everywhere!!! My strategy to mitigate risks is to validate and collaborate with suppliers. Once I find a good supplier, I plan to stick to them. Even if their price is not the lowest. I'm ok paying more for a quality supplier. If I find a supplier issue I believe I think can be easily fixed, I'll collaborate with them to get the issue solved, instead of jumping to a brand new supplier right away, and starting the supplier validation from zero.
Read my a blog about my experiences with counterfeits & quality issues at: http://LeanHardwareStartup.com
Yes. It does require a FROM and another TO device.
RECAP does not record audio to itself.
RECAP S (the original RECAP): Stereo output. Left Channel: other party; Right Channel: your voice
pin out of output: tip: other party; ring: your voice; sleeve: ground
RECAP C (aka RECAP 2): Mono output. Both your voice & other party in same channel
pin out of output: ring: ground; sleeve: both your & other party's voice
RECAP C has not been tested to record to a PC. I recommend RECAP S for that use.
seconds to go
Pledge $1 or moreYou selected
Thank you for supporting the RECAP project! With this pledge you will get the exclusive project updates!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
100 backers All gone!
EARLY BIRD: You will get RECAP 2 and more: Standard Shipping, Warranty & Support.Estimated delivery:Add $10 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $51 or moreYou selected
You will get RECAP 2 and more: Standard Shipping, Warranty & Support.Estimated delivery:Add $10 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $100 or moreYou selected
VIP Supporter! You will get RECAP 2 and many extras: Premium Support; Extended Warranty; Priority Shipping and March delivery!Estimated delivery:Add $20 USD to ship outside the US
- (44 days)