Announcing the HyperCube stretch goal: Sound reactivity!!
These upgraded Hypercubes love symmetries and symphonies, they love bass in their face, and they dance and shimmer in the sonic majesty of our world!!!!
If we hit our stretch goal, all hyper-dimensional cubes that you've backed will be upgraded to respond to sound! No separate add-ons, no added cost, all cubes will have a wide variety of sound reactive modes by default!
We are putting this stretch goal at $150,000 because of the increased cost of hardware and increased amount of time for us to design and code the sound reactivity. We’ve seen glimpses of the potential future capabilities of the Hypercubes, and it is glorious!! As always, we will be dedicated to developing the highest quality of function and form for our Hyperspace community!
Welcome to Hyperspace
The HyperCube is a hi-tech work of art that simulates the appearance of a near infinite amount of light and space, contained within the finite volume of a sleek and futuristic frame.
Brand new to this dimension!
The HyperCube is the infinity mirror taken to the next dimension, literally! Made of semi-mirrored acrylic, the effect is visible from any direction and any angle at which you look. The HyperCube is entirely custom designed and programmed by us, two radical scientists with an eye for quality and perfection. You can't find anything else like this in our corner of the multiverse!
Make your life hyper-chromatic
These cubes make inspiring bedside nightlights, luminous art pieces, radical event and entertainment decorations, technological additions to classrooms and science centers, wormhole generators, and spaceship hyper-drives. You name it. The HyperCube is bright enough to light up a whole room, and the hypnotic interplay between the dynamic light patterns and symmetric geometry of the piece will mesmerize all who see it.
So... this is magic, right?
No, it's physics! The LEDs sit within a cavity of semitransparent, mirrored acrylic. When light generated inside the cube reaches this semitransparent wall, some will make it out and to your eye. The remaining light will be reflected back into the cube, where it will ricochet over and over. Each time the light strikes a semi-mirrored face, more of it will leave the cube to be enjoyed by the onlooker, and because the light has traveled a further path-length after internal reflections, it will appear as if it is further away than could be fit within the HyperCube!
Down the rabbit hole
Up close, the space inside the cube appears to expand into infinity. Get lost in hyperspace.
If you want to keep enjoying the ultra-prismatic pictures, and some more videos, scroll to the bottom. For now, let's talk details.
PLEASE NOTE: all pictures and videos here depict the 15" initial prototype Tesseract. The final product will not look identical to the one pictured; it will feature a new and improved frame (of the same anodized aluminum) and a smaller control box. The LEDs and interior of the cube will be identical on the 15" Tesseract(TM) and scaled appropriately on the 10" HyperCube(TM).
- We are offering two main sizes at 10" and 15". This measurement refers to the outside length of each side of the cube. The viewable length of the window itself is ~2" smaller (8" for the 10" cube, 13" for the 15" cube). We don't have a real 10" HyperCube yet, but we've included a to-scale mockup below to give you an idea of the relative size.
- The LEDs are bright and color-saturated, rated to last for 10,000+ hours of continuous use. That means you could leave them on for over one year without having to worry about burn-out!
- The windows are semi-mirrored acrylic, lightweight and shatter-proof with optical qualities equal or superior to glass.
- An outer frame made from die-cast aluminum, anodized to give a sleek black finish.
- An inner frame constructed from high-durability injection molded impact resistant polymer.
- Custom written, unique code to control the LEDs, with a variety of animations and color palettes. Choose between dazzling complex patterns and slow calm patterns with a button press. A high priority throughout the development process is increasing the quantity and complexity of light patterns.
- Control box with power switch and illuminated button for light pattern switching. The default mode auto switches between patterns. Button presses lock the mode in place if there's one you particularly enjoy.
- Please note that the HyperCube is wired and NOT wireless.
- The cube is best viewed in a dark room, and will cast a chromatic glow on everything surrounding it, but the effect is still perfectly visible in normal ambient light. Just don't expect to see much in a very brightly lit room or direct sunlight.
- The LED strips have the bare copper pads exposed, as shown below. This is how all addressable LED strips come. It's almost entirely unnoticeable unless you're looking closely, but we just want you to be aware.
- Digitally addressable WS2812B LEDs. The 10" cube includes 312 LEDs (26/edge), the 15" cube includes 500 LEDs (40/edge).
- Custom designed PCB, based on an arduino microcontroller. The software running the light patterns is based on the FastLED library.
- Power draw: up to 25W for the 10" cube, 50W for the 15" cube.
- Requires a wall outlet for the included power supply to be plugged into. You can use your own power supply with a 2.1mm jack, as long as it outputs 5V and up to 5A (10" cube) or 10A (15" cube).
Timeline, and what's next
The following is our timeline from beginning to end. I know... August is a long time away, but we're trying to be realistic. After discussions with Kickstarter vets and much research, we've learned that the process is time consuming and filled with delays. We're doing our best to account for this. Whether it's smooth flying or not we will be transparent during the whole process, posting updates throughout the Kickstarter and after, all the way up to release.
We have many goals for the future as well. Wireless cubes, more sizes with higher density LEDs, sound reactive modes, new geometries (pyramids, hexagonal solids, etc). This is only the beginning. By backing this Kickstarter you're supporting the creation of higher order luminous forms!
We've broken down the initial assessment of our budget into sections so you can have a better idea of where your money is going.
The Hyperspace Lighting Team
We are two scientists with a passion for light, geometry, and technology! Our mission is to build a more luminous world, through the fusion of technology, art, function and form.
Dylan is a physics PhD candidate at UCSD with six years of experience, finishing up his work in experimental laser spectroscopy. That means studying how light and matter interact, and investigating the electronic and magnetic properties of unique materials with light. He has significant experience with electronics systems, both in a laboratory setting and as a hobbyist and maker. This is complemented by a creative background that includes various artistic coding and LED projects, along with a love for art and drawing. Combined, Dylan has the technical and creative experience to design and create a unique, high-quality consumer product, the likes of which the world has never seen before.
TimM O'Connor received his PhD in NanoEngineering from UCSD, holds a master's in Physics, and a BS focused on Business/Entrepreneurship. He has written 18 high impact publications in the fields of solar energy, opto-electronics, and integrated devices for human-machine interfaces. He is now working as a senior engineer and lead for industrialization at a large photonics company. The full extent of his formal training in science, engineering, and business, combined with his experience in high-tech industry and organization start-ups and operations, will be at your service!
The HyperCube project is a merger of everything we love: the physics of light, technology, and radical art. We're doing this because we want to illuminate the world. To share the mesmerizing beauty that emerges from the marriage of art and technology. We are incredibly motivated to make this project work, and when we put our minds to something we don't accept anything less than success. Thank you for believing in us!
Get in touch
Please feel free to contact us with questions or comments through the Kickstarter page. And if you want to see more and stay up to date...
Photos and Videos
But enough about us. How about some more of that juicy, ultra-chromatic media content? Say no more!
Risks and challenges
As this is our first Kickstarter, we're certain we have many lessons to learn. But if our background as Ph.D. students in experimental science has taught us anything, it's how to learn quickly and adapt to unforeseen challenges.
We've shown we can create a quality product, but we have not yet scaled up production to meet the as of yet unknown public interest in this product. However, we're looking into various options that will meet any demand. Our newest prototype design is simple to construct and can be scaled to any size, so we anticipate no issues, but there is always risk involved in ramping up to mass production of a product. While unexpected events have the potential to delay production, we fully intend to meet the deadline we've estimated. Whatever happens, we will keep you up to date on the status of your backer rewards. We are entirely committed to ensuring you get what we've promised, and to making our dreams and this product a reality.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (28 days)