"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.”
- Douglas Adams
I guess we must have discovered it! Because this for year's Construction Zone, we are building something even more bizarre, tessellated, geometric and sublime....
This year at Burning Man we want to build a new HYBYCOZO configuration, entitled Deep Thought, after the supercomputer from Hitchhiker’s Guide to Galaxy. The centerpiece of which will be a sculpture made in the shape of triambic icosahedron…
A what? A shape made of 60 gold triangular panels, standing at 14 ft tall which will cast colorful light and shadow far and wide onto the playa. A small portal allows you to enter its interior and be surrounded by the patterns and light.
The installation will also have interactive spaceship control panel to play with the lighting across all 5 sculptures and more surprises to be discovered..
On the outside, forming an arc around Deep Thought, the existing 3 HYBYCOZOs + 1 new sculpture in the shape of a rhombic dodecahedron will be placed to create a grounds for contemplation about life, the universe and everything.
Since last year, we have fully committed ourselves to creating geometric art and design and have been planning this experience all year. We are so excited to continue the HYBYCOZO journey with you...
So what do we need your help to create?
- Deep Thought - A giant HYBYCOZO you can go inside of!
- Rhombi - A new shape - a rhombic dodecahedron to complete the arc
- Bleep bloop- An interactive control panel with electronics!
Why are we doing this?
We learned 3 things last year that we want to create an experience around:
- I’m on the inside- Being on the inside of the polyhedron - bathed in the geometry, surrounded by patterns - is nothing short of a mystical experience. We wanted to extend this joy to our HYBYCOZO community. To date, no one other than our construction crew has seen what it's like to be immersed in the shadow and light of the shapes.
- See your true colors - Now with 100% more interactive parts! Interactivity is more fun! We got to control the lights last year with a phone app, but looking at a screen sucks. This year your will be able to control the lights using a set of custom game controls that we will build.
- See to the real clue - Secrets and easter eggs - didn’t find it last year? Try again! This year every Kickstarter support will receive instructions on how to get a special gold coin to unlock a super special secret surprise at the sculptures.
We are very thankful to Burning Man that has provided us with some funds for the project, but are still in need of about half the budget to bring this project to life. We have dedicated crew of 10, have brought on 2 electrical engineers, and have consulted with a structural engineer about the project. We are all super passionate and dedicated to creating a wonderful experience for the Burning Man community.
About the pattern
The pattern for Deep Thought is based on a quasicrystal diffraction, a previously thought impossible and forbidden geometry. To understand it, imagine a honeycomb made of hexagons.. it can tile infinitely and consistently, which is how we used to describe crystal. However, if you put pentagons or decagons together, they will leave gaps. In 1976, Roger Penrose discovered a way to use a pentagonal 5 fold symmetry to fill up a 2D space. The relationship between the tiles of this pattern? The golden ratio of course… Then, in 2011, the Nobel Prize in Chemistry was awarded to Daniel Shechtman who, in the 1980s, discovered how to produce, in 3D space, this type of ‘aperiodic crystal symmetry’ in the lab using 10-fold symmetry. This created a major shift in how we think that matter can be arranged at the atomic level.
However, it gets even more interesting. In 2009 and again in 2015, the impossible happened… quasicrystals were discovered on earth. Their origin? A meteor that had landed in Chukotka, Russia 15,000 years ago that is as old as our solar system. What was the structure of the universe back then? What is the real source of this forbidden geometry? How do we know what we know? It gets even stranger… after these discoveries, scientists from Harvard studying Islamic geometry discovered quasicrystal patterns on tile work in the Alhambra Palace in Spain and the Darb-i Imam Shrine in Iran. So the Deep Thought that we’ve been wondering here in the construction zone is where do these ancient and deep patterns and visions come from… are they human or is their source from a deeper place all together?
What we learned from last year:
- Creating rewards is expensive! We wound up in the red last year after fulfilling and shipping all the rewards. To bring you the best rewards, we have added a bigger percentage of the money contributed into the reward.
- Transportation is more difficult that we previously thought! We have to get a very large vehicle because the panels are very heavy. After this project - we will be the proud owners of over 10,000 lbs of steel.
- Budget for extras. There are things we now know that we need to buy for the project like a magnetic rake and angle grinders.
Burning Man provided us with some funds for the project (we're very thankful! thanks BM!), but we've still got a long way to go before we can bring this project to life. We still need a minimum of $10,000 to complete the project. If we meet our goal of $15,000 then ~$1,500 goes to fees, and $3,500 goes to making and shipping the rewards. That leaves us with $10,000 for the project
If we meet our amount, then we have some exciting stretch goals in store for you!
15k Budget Breakdown:
- Lighting - $2,000
- Paint - $1,000
- Custom Hardware - $1,000
- Equipment rental (crank lift, ladders) - $2,000
- Control Panel - $2,000
- Transportation - $2,000
- Rewards - $3,500
- Kickstarter fee - $1,500
Want to help with HYBYCOZO?
Share the message!
- Have a math loving, geometry breathing, construction minded friend? Send it to them using the share buttons on the side.
- Do you want to help build HYBYCOZO in the Bay Area? Sign up on the volunteer list here.
- Going to be at Burning man? Come say hi! We will be between 10 and the Temple in the outer playa.
- Know of a place that HYBYCOZO wants to live after Burning Man? Let us know!
BIG THANK YOU to our friends and collaborators:
Risks and challenges
We learned a lot from last year and hope to build on our success. Some of the things we managed last year are:
Laser shop: We have found a great metal shop to work with. We decided to go with them because of their integrity and desire to help us create art.
Logistics: Items left to decide upon are power consumption (battery vs. generator) and painting (spray paint vs. powder-coating). These decisions will be made as the Kickstarter progresses.
Climbing: We have over-engineered the pieces to withhold a significant weight, and we are confident that the delicate nature of the patterns will deter climbers.
Rewards: Since many of the rewards are hand built by us, too many orders would cause a back-log. This may cause a short delay, or potentially let us deliver the rewards even quicker if we can optimize for higher quantities.
Since we have proven each and every reward, there is little getting in the way of completing the Kickstarter with the utmost success. If you have any concerns, suggestions, or improvements, please let us know and we will answer them promptly.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (29 days)