A film about life, death, violence, morality, immortality, love, and loss in the USSR during Soviet times and in present day Latvia.
We Won "Project of the Week"!!!
Velta Buka, the star of Hybrid Vigor, has a short message for you. Please take a second and watch it.
Hybrid Vigor is a feature film about life, death, violence, morality, immortality, love, and loss in the USSR during Soviet times and in present day Latvia. It opens on frozen Lake Baikal in Siberia during Soviet times. Most of the film takes place in present day Latvia. More details about the plot will be revealed in the coming months.
We have already begun shooting. The photos you see on this page are from scenes we have shot. Hybrid Vigor is not being made like a normal film with a fixed shooting schedule and clear phases of production. We decided to use a more organic method of filmmaking. We may be editing scenes we recently shot while in pre-production for scenes we will soon shoot. Maybe we will shoot 2 days, edit 2 days, shoot 2 days and then take a break for a week or two so we can edit and prep the next scenes we will shoot.
We are organized and have a clear plan, but everything will be done in a very flexible way with a small dedicated crew and eager cast. This is how we are going to make this little film look as good as anything you will see in your local cinema and for less than the price of the catering budget on a "normal" film.
Hybrid Vigor is being made on location in Eastern Europe. One scene was shot in Estonia on a frozen lake on the Russian border. Most of the rest of the film is being made in and around Riga, Latvia.
Prior to moving to Latvia I was living in Los Angeles and I didn't really like the direction my life was going. I had never left the US and wanted to get out and explore the world so I took a 10 day trip to Europe. One of the places I visited was Latvia. Immediately I decided I must make a film here one day.
After I returned home from my trip, literally as I stood in front of my door with my suitcase, I stopped and said to myself, "What am I doing here? I'm moving to Latvia." I immediately booked a flight and sold my car. A week later I was living in Latvia. I had absolutely no plan, but I had a very clear goal.
Latvia is a small country with a population of just over 2 million people. It borders Russia to the East and was once part of the Soviet Union. Latvia broke free from Soviet rule on August 21st, 1991 and has been an independent nation state ever since.
Hybrid Vigor stars Velta Buka (top) in her feature film debut and co-stars Jevgenija Mirosnicenko (left) and Aleksandr Ivanov (right). All three actors are native to Latvia. No other parts have been officially cast yet.
- Velta Buka
- Jevgenija Mirosnicenko
- Aleksandr Ivanov
We will have more casting news soon.
My name is Brandon. My first film was a low budget independent film I wrote when I was 18 years-old and directed when I was 20. The film co-starred Dee Wallace (The Howling, ET), Dennis Haskins ("Mr. Belding" in Saved by the Bell) and Joyce DeWitt ("Janet" in Three's Company). It was professionally done with a large crew of around 30 people and shot on 35mm film with Panavision cameras. Unfortunately the film negative and sound was stolen and the film has never been completed. I was able to recover the film negative, but was never able to get the sound. After nearly a decade of effort I had to accept that it was over.
A few years ago I Executive Produced the critically acclaimed arthouse film Loren Cass. Variety called it, "A starkly radical film debut of uncommon power and artistic principle." The New York Times said it was, "Remarkable... One of the year's great discoveries." The film was solely the director's vision. I was just there to help support the talent I saw in him.
I learned a lot working on my first film and even more in the years since. I got my start as a writer/director in this business at a very young age, but lost more than 10 years due to my first film being stolen and unfinished. The last decade did not go to waste though. I made a plan for how I would make my next film and now I'm executing it. With your support we can make this film a reality.
Summer in Latvia does not last long and we must shoot much of the film during this period. Our goal for this campaign is the absolute minimum we need to get the film "in the can". We certainly intend to raise more than our goal! We hope to raise enough money to fund the entire shoot and all of post production.
We are able to dramatically cut the cost of making the film because we own our own RED Scarlet-X camera, lenses, audio gear and some lighting. There really will not be much that needs to be rented. Also, in addition to producing and directing the film, I am shooting and editing and will be handling at least some of the visual effects work myself.
We plan to make a "photomosiac" movie poster using photos of all our backers. There will be a printable PDF of the finished poster available online for you to download. Once our project is funded we will send everyone that backed our film a request for a personal photo. The example above was quickly made to illustrate the concept. The finished poster will be professionally done and on par with anything you would see at the cinema, with just one exception: you will be on it!
Take a good look at the Rewards section to the right for the details. Below is an overview of what you can get for backing us.
- Your photo on the above mentioned poster.
- A "shout out" on Twitter (250k+ followers) and Facebook.
- Digital Download of the film.
- DVD copy of the film.
- Blu-ray copy of the film.
- Our Twitter marketing secrets (we didn't get 250k followers by accident).
- Our Kickstarter marketing strategy.
- One of a kind collectible props from the film.
- A walk on role in the film.
- Your commercial/video featured on our DVD, Blu-ray and website.
- Your logo on our film poster and in the end credits.
- Associate Producer credit.
- Executive producer credit.
- Co-production credit.
- Most campaigns offer "Backer Only" video or blog updates. We don't want to restrict anyone from following along as we make the film. You all get access.
- Have a short film? Send a Tweet to your Twitter followers with the link to our Kickstarter page and we will RT your short film to all our 250k followers.
- We will choose the short film we like the best and offer to include it in the "New Talent" section of the Hybrid Vigor DVD/Blu-ray when it's released. This is something we want to do for all our films.
- First make a donation of any size. You can change your donation amount anytime before the campaign ends and you will not be charged anything unless we meet our fundraising goal.
- After you back us and completed your transaction, Kickstarter will give you the option to send a message out to your friends/followers on social media sites like Twitter and Facebook. The message will say you just backed us and it will included a link to our project page (you can edit the text). Please send these messages! It only takes a second and will help tremendously!
- Find at least one other person to make a donation. Even if it's just $1 they can get their photo on our movie poster. $5 and they get their name in the credits too!
- Know that you seriously rock! Your donation goes a long way towards helping us achieve our dreams. We sincerely appreciate it!
English, Latvian and Russian.
Easy! Make a pledge for one of the Rewards you want and then send us a message explaining what else you want. We'll either make a new Reward Package just for you or tell you how much to add to your Reward!