About this project
Welcome to Mist City. May your stay be pleasant and your body remain whole.
- Old Shangralese greeting -
Gallo, here. I’ve been running trade into and out of Shangri La for the last three decades and seen just about all that LA-LA Land has to offer. First thing that needs to be said: Shangri La is a hellhole. But oh, what a glorious hellhole it is. It’s a hellhole that will seduce you, gyrating its bounties of fresh water, food and medicine before your starving face. Then it will dangle some sweet security for good measure. ‘The walls of Shangri La have never been breached’ it whispers, seductively. And when your hunger, your pain, and your fear are at their greatest it has you.
Want slaves? Weapons? Access to all kinds of designer drugs, and all the flesh you could want? Shangri La has got what you need, honey you just bring your greed, and bring your trade goods.Nothing's free in Shangri La.
Shangri LA is an upcoming Wreck Age source book which will give you a plethora of details and background on the fabled floating city that lays isolated on the Washed Coast of the Merikan continent.
The city state of Shangri LA is a coalition of many water-borne communities in Malibu Bay and the surrounding areas, from the lawless Sandy Echo, to the social and economic heart of Shangri LA: the Sphere. Shangri LAs borders span many countless kilometers, and is defended by a volunteer citizen militia. Outsiders are met with disdain and contempt, and all but the most resourceful and renown traders must do business at the far-flung trade posts of the Boneyards, laying deep in the Mojave desert, and connected to the city by a high speed rail line.
The Shangri LA sourcebook book is jam-packed with:
· A history of Greater Los Angeles, including details of the Malibu Quake and local events leading up to the Exodus.
· An Exploration of current-day Shangri La, a reclusive resurgence-era nation built on the flooded ruins of Greater Los Angeles. Told from the point of view of a mysterious agent, and a shady Caravaneer named Gallo.
· Extensive post-Exodus regional events and descriptions, including overviews of the various societies competing for resources along the southern Washed Coast. From the Arhk, to Stitchers, to the the Gente Del Mar, there are many factions vying for power in the area.
· An in-depth examination of Shangri La’s society, culture, economy, and military, as well as the subterfuge and intrigue that’s rife in the various floating communities that make up Shangri LA.
· Gorgeous artwork by industry veterans and up-comers.
· New information on ARHK’s incursions onto the Washed Coast, and their conflict with the Shangrilese militia.
· Details on the mysterious Stitcher cult which rules Shangri LA’s governing council from behind the scenes.
· An introduction to the Fung, an underworld organization who act as middlemen for the body and organ trade which sustains Shangri La’s economy.
· Descriptions and details of the major players in Shangri La and the surrounding areas.
· Floating cities: Shangri La’s great floating cities include: The Sphere, El Monterino and New Port, along with ideas for generating your own floating community.
· A hobby section: giving you ideas for how to make your own floating terrain and boats.
· Learn about the Bone Yard, an ancient medical hub and Shangri La’s public face, which resides on the outskirts of the ancient I-15 in the arid wastes of the Mojave desert.
…and much more!
Wreck Age provides you with seamless rules integration - allowing you to play a pen and paper RPG, a 28mm tabletop skirmish game, or a hybrid of both!
Shangri LA introduces this exciting new setting to the Wreck Age universe. This sourcebook comes complete with background that can be integrated into campaign play, as well as a variety of encounters, structures, and new equipment can help you jump right into the action in Mist City, such as:
· Several new scenarios, such as:
- I Will Be Your Flesh: A local community faces retribution from the Fung after a Fung slaver ship is boarded and the human cargo stolen and later sold. With those slaves earmarked for use by their Stitcher masters, the Fung will exact a price on the upstart community with interest. Players assume the roles of either the Fung hunting team or community members trying to evade and survive.
- Die, Die, Die for Me: This scenario pits a supply caravan against a larger force in a running battle that will challenge both the attacker and defender as Shangri La’s natural defenses are woken by the sounds of battle. Guide your caravaneers to safety while mitigating losses of valuable trade goods and personnel, or conduct a raid on a lucrative Shangralese Council caravan loaded down with priceless food and weaponry.
· 3 new structures, for your community to build; the Ag Farm, the House boat, and the "stacks", buildings made from old cargo containers.
· Utilize a host of new rules, including watercraft combat.
· New Archetypes to allow you to create characters for The Fung, the Atri Hassians, the Gente Dl Mar boatpeople, and more more!
· New stitcher-specific weapons.
· New skills and traits to flesh out and customize your Shangrilese characters and give them plenty of room to grow.
Wreck Age also has a line of 28mm scale miniatures, terrain, RPG adventures, and short stories set in the Wreck Age universe.
Download the quickstart rules for free here:
Wreck Age is set in a a dystopian sci-fi world inspired in part by; Blade Runner, The Road, Mad Max, Tank Girl, Omega Man, 12 Monkeys, Book of Eli, Escape from New York, Dune by Frank Herbert, The Suns of Scorpio by Alan Burt Akers, A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, the Stand by Steven King, The Native Tongue trilogy by Suzette Haden Elgin, The Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman, The World Without Us by Alan Weisman, and the Book of Dave by Will Self.
The world is created by lovers of the genre, who have spent the last 4 years creating an innovative and evocative setting for you to explore.
On board for this project is John Gordon,a faculty member at California State University, Los Angeles, as well as a budget analyst for the Department of Pathology at USC’s Keck School of Medicine, and a freelance writer. With a longtime interest in table top war gaming, John is a freelance writer for Hyacinth Games. John Gordon and his fiancé share a house in Temple City, California under direct supervision from their four feline companions.
Hyacinth Games, LLC publishes under a Creative Commons license to to reach and involve a wider audience; to not only grow our gaming community, but give back to it as well.
Check us out at: http://wreck-age.net
and on your favorite social media.
100 backers stretch goal (locked): Free Gallo short story for anyone pledging.
Written by John Gorden, read about Gallo's journey back to the Boneyards.
1200 total facebook likes stretch goal (locked): 2 new pieces of Stichers specific equipment, plus color illustrations.
Because Stitchers don't have enough ways to render you unconscious.
$2,000 stretch goal
Three additional encounters, involving the Church of FUn, the Fung, the Vale, and of course: Stitchers. Get caught up in the intrigue!
$3000 stretch goal (locked): Shangri La RPG adventure
The Fung aren't to be trifled with.
$3000 Add-on unlock (locked): Floating terrain
Cast in metal. $5 + shipping.
$3000 stretch goal (locked): An additional miniature
An additional mini for anyone who pledges for the miniatures set in any way. Six in total!
$35 Add-on: Watercraft Miniatures set
A set of 3 post-apocalypse watercraft: a jet ski, a junk, and a fanboat. All pressure cast in high quality resin. $35 + shipping.
$3,500 stretch goal (locked): An additional miniature
Another additional mini for anyone who pledges for the miniatures set in any way. That brings the total up to seven for anyone keeping track.
$5,000 unlock Add-on (locked): Catamaran miniature
A post-collapse catamaran: Pressure cast in high quality resin. $25 + shipping. Add on all 4 watercraft for $50 + shipping.
$6000 stretch goal (locked): Rhea's underground lair
There are things that go bump in the night that are worse than the Boogieman. One of these is Rhea, the elder defacto head of Shangri La. Find out what Rhea's lair looks like, with maps of the underwater compound, as well as artwork specifically drawn for this unlock.
Risks and challenges
The vast majority of the content for Shangri LA is already written. Several of the minis are already cast. We have several talented and dedicated artists on-board with the projects, including multiple industry veterans and new blood that we're very excited about.
The remainder of the sculpts are in progress, and our casters and mold-makers are poised to make this effort a reality.
There may be delays, as is often the case with small gaming establishments, but we are thoroughly committed to making sure you are kept updated and versed on the ins-and-outs of the Shangri LA project. It's not as ambitious as our last few undertakings, so we feel that by biting off a smaller chunk, we will be able to fulfill our pledges with few hiccups.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (31 days)